La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't believe this is still happening.  Take it a step further.  Would you buy cotton from slavers?  Think of the poor slaves who might get beaten if the cotton doesn't get sold?  Would you buy your wife a blood diamond?  Think of all of the awful Africans who would lose their livelihoods?  Do you search out products made by child labor?  Think of all of hte kids supporting elderly parents in China with their dollar a day jobs in sweatshops?  How about your drugs?  Do you support the drug kingpins who keep your local dealers alive by keeping their supply up to date so they can feed their kids?

Extreme?  Illegal?  Immoral? Sure but all are supporting families who really need the money. By punishing those illegal activities, you are hurting families who really need the money.

Jesus fucking Christ man. You've managed to compare a DUI to slavery. You took this WAY too far.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I literally said TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER.  The point is people ARE willing to make economic decisions that will hurt people, for pure reasons.  This is a normal and common activity, and there is nothing wrong with it.  False equating the burden being on people making the decisions, instead of people who are supporting illegal and immoral activities through their employments is the full issue here.

A step further comparing wanting one punishment over another for DUI to supporting slavery? What a horrible accusation to make. You act like I want TLR forgiven or something. 

You rejected without knowing what punishment the courts will give him in favor of a trickle up punishment that will first harm working people and likely won't affect anyone else.

When revenue drops JR isn't harmed. The team will simply cut expenses like salaries. So you are advocating for a plan that I believe will not even impact the people you want to have it impact. But it will affect the team's sales representatives who I do not believe are slaves.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

A step further comparing wanting one punishment over another for DUI to supporting slavery? What a horrible accusation to make. You act like I want TLR forgiven or something. 

You rejected without knowing what punishment the courts will give him in favor of a trickle up punishment that will first harm working people and likely won't affect anyone else.

When revenue drops JR isn't harmed. The team will simply cut expenses like salaries. So you are advocating for a plan that I believe will not even impact the people you want to have it impact. But it will affect the team's sales representatives who I do not believe are slaves.

Of course you have intentionally been missing the point for days now so that it took an extreme example to snap you back.  So there are times where you would be willing to hurt workers in order to satisfy your moral compass.  The point is, this is an acceptable form of protest, and it is something that should be used here.  The reason you went to this one part of the example is so that you didn't have to agree outloud.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So what will the team do if revenue drops?

The team president will take a pay cut? The team will spend less on acquiring free agents and resigning players? 

The team rarely turns a profit. The owners have made money on the value of the franchise. 

Am I being immoral when I don't buy Sox merch or tickets because they suck? Its only immoral to affect the Sox bottom line when its for non-sports related reasons? Shit, I should have read the Sox Fan Contract before I signed it, I didn't realize there was a minimum spending limit each year. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Of course you have intentionally been missing the point for days now so that it took an extreme example to snap you back.  So there are times where you would be willing to hurt workers in order to satisfy your moral compass.  The point is, this is an acceptable form of protest, and it is something that should be used here.  The reason you went to this one part of the example is so that you didn't have to agree outloud.

OK, yes I'm certain there are situations that I would be in favor. This isn't one because I don't think it's effective and there are other avenues to punish TLR. 

JR is a minority partner in a monopoly that will continue to grow in value. The team in which he is president will simply cut expenses. The team rarely makes a profit as they have shown through the years. 

So this plan to add the additional punishment you want is a longshot at best that passes through some workers who I'm assuming are good people who don't deserve to be harmed by the actions TLR. 

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What does this mean? He submitted to a blood test via a warrant 3.5 hours after his DUI stop and he was still over the legal limit.

Who are you to tell anyone how important an issue is to them; especially an issue causing 10,000 unnecessary deaths a year.

It means he has been yet to be convicted of the charge that is all.

Also I am not telling anyone, they are telling me. They can continue their crusade of bad faith if they want but when people start to bring in his politics it sort of tells me where the outrage is actually coming from. I also read through his hiring before his 2nd DUI was known barely a mention was made of it. I think it was one person. When Ozzie was being considered noone mentioned it despite him being an admitted alcoholic.

In any case I am sort of done with this. I actually don't like TLR despite us sharing similar politics and I wouldn't have hired him either but he's here and people need to just deal with it.

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

@southsider2k5 should we boycott the ball club once any player gets busted for using illegally purchased steroids? This can influence minors to use steroids and result in serious consequences and an early death. 

It is an individual decision, but I would have no problem with it in theory.  I have always been in favor of players getting their contracts voided when it happens.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

Also I am not telling anyone, they are telling me. They can continue their crusade of bad faith if they want but when people start to bring in his politics it sort of tells me where the outrage is actually coming from. I also read through his hiring before his 2nd DUI was known barely a mention was made of it. I think it was one person. When Ozzie was being considered noone mentioned it despite him being an admitted alcoholic.

In any case I am sort of done with this. I actually don't like TLR despite us sharing similar politics and I wouldn't have hired him either but he's here and people need to just deal with it.

Typically I would agree, but DUIs are pretty cut and dry, and the evidence points to him being above the limit and a jagoff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

@southsider2k5 should we boycott the ball club once any player gets busted for using illegally purchased steroids? This can influence minors to use steroids and result in serious consequences and an early death. 

Do you think the Sox, or any team for that matter, would be signing a player to a multi year contract one day after being  busted with steroids?

do you think there might be a bit of outrage if it happened like that?  How about if that same player was busted for steroids prior to this?

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

Am I being immoral when I don't buy Sox merch or tickets because they suck? Its only immoral to affect the Sox bottom line when its for non-sports related reasons? Shit, I should have read the Sox Fan Contract before I signed it, I didn't realize there was a minimum spending limit each year. 

I'm not certain how immoral was introduced. What we are discussing is an organized by Soxtalk campaign to get sponsors to drop advertising unless the team fires TLR. 

I'm against it because it directly harms team workers and will not be effective. A MLB team is a monopoly that can't go out of business. JR will continue to collect his pay as President and the franchise will continue to grow in value. The only guaranteed response to drops in is a decrease in spending on players.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Typically I would agree, but DUIs are pretty cut and dry, and the evidence points to him being above the limit and a jagoff. 

I agree. There are very rare exceptions. For example Tiger hadn't had a drink. He was impaired.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you think the Sox, or any team for that matter, would be signing a player to a multi year contract one day after being  busted with steroids?

do you think there might be a bit of outrage if it happened like that?

There would be outrage the day after. Then additional outrage a day after his suspension was complete and their team didn't sign him. 

13 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Many years ago, a guy with no insurance fell asleep behind the wheel, veered into my lane, and totaled my car. Head on. I had to get a lawyer to sue the bastard, which they finally settled. He was charged with illegal lane usage LOL, driving without insurance, and something else. I showed up at his court appearance when I was told his charges were being dropped because he had no priors. I asked how exactly do you get priors if charges get dropped if you have none? I told them my story. How I was concussed , how my car was totaled, how I am still chasing him to get halfway to whole. They said sorry. We have the blood test result. We have what Tony said. We know what happened. If he gets off because he can afford a slick attorney, great, but it’s pretty obvious he is quilty. His getting off would be a technicality. I would like to know if he has witnesses that will back up his one glass of wine line he gave the popo. Could it be he was being less than sincere with the officer?

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Texsox said:

There would be outrage the day after. Then additional outrage a day after his suspension was complete and their team didn't sign him. 

Maybe there should be a Bonds law that addressed this.  I'm going to write my congressman because clearly when all of the major league players went in front of congress due to balco, it solved the problem.  They definitely shouldn't have let superstars like Palmeiro get blackballed because what about the people Palmeiro employed at the time? They probably lost their jobs damn why did Palmeiro even have to test for drugs this is awful now that I think about it.

How about this?

When writing or calling sponsors thank them for their support of the team. Explain you are certain they share your outrage over the hiring of TLR and would appreciate a statement from the company denouncing drunk driving especially by people in high visibility leadership positions within the community. 

but fall short of asking them to stop advertising with the team. 

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Maybe there should be a Bonds law that addressed this.  I'm going to write my congressman because clearly when all of the major league players went in front of congress due to balco, it solved the problem.  They definitely shouldn't have let superstars like Palmeiro get blackballed because what about the people Palmeiro employed at the time? They probably lost their jobs damn why did Palmeiro even have to test for drugs this is awful now that I think about it.

How many fans across the nation wanted the ex Astros guys to manage their club? Plenty of Bulls fans cheered for Rodman when he changed jerseys.

I agree with SS2k5 when he mentioned lifetime suspensions. I think a 2nd DUI should warrant a lifetime suspension. I think I'll call Geico and see if they will help make that happen.

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

How many fans across the nation wanted the ex Astros guys to manage their club? Plenty of Bulls fans cheered for Rodman when he changed jerseys.

I agree with SS2k5 when he mentioned lifetime suspensions. I think a 2nd DUI should warrant a lifetime suspension. I think I'll call Geico and see if they will help make that happen.

Hey you got pretty pissed when SS2k5 compared your scenario to slavery, so let's go ahead and acknowledge that you are comparing impaired driving to cheating to win a game.  It's clearly something that should be considered on equal footing, one person is stealing signs and the other is out there waiting to commit vehicular manslaughter on a bad night 

this argument is tired.  People have to protest whatever way they can when something like this is shoved down our throats

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Many years ago, a guy with no insurance fell asleep behind the wheel, veered into my lane, and totaled my car. Head on. I had to get a lawyer to sue the bastard, which they finally settled. He was charged with illegal lane usage LOL, driving without insurance, and something else. I showed up at his court appearance when I was told his charges were being dropped because he had no priors. I asked how exactly do you get priors if charges get dropped if you have none? I told them my story. How I was concussed , how my car was totaled, how I am still chasing him to get halfway to whole. They said sorry. We have the blood test result. We have what Tony said. We know what happened. If he gets off because he can afford a slick attorney, great, but it’s pretty obvious he is quilty. His getting off would be a technicality. I would like to know if he has witnesses that will back up his one glass of wine line he gave the popo. Could it be he was being less than sincere with the officer?

This is one reason I'm against mandatory sentences. There should be a way to at least cause it to be a prior and stay on the record. Many times judges and prosecutors are reluctant to proceed when the minimum sentence is harsher than what they believe is fair justice. 

Impaired is impaired. So one glass of mine mixed with some meds and he can't drive. Still no excuse. There are warnings on meds. I might even cut someone slack if it was their first. But when you are facing a second that book should hit so hard that society is protected from a third. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

This is one reason I'm against mandatory sentences. There should be a way to at least cause it to be a prior and stay on the record. Many times judges and prosecutors are reluctant to proceed when the minimum sentence is harsher than what they believe is fair justice. 

Impaired is impaired. So one glass of mine mixed with some meds and he can't drive. Still no excuse. There are warnings on meds. I might even cut someone slack if it was their first. But when you are facing a second that book should hit so hard that society is protected from a third. 

And that's not going to happen.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Hey you got pretty pissed when SS2k5 compared your scenario to slavery, so let's go ahead and acknowledge that you are comparing impaired driving to cheating to win a game.  It's clearly something that should be considered on equal footing, one person is stealing signs and the other is out there waiting to commit vehicular manslaughter on a bad night 

this argument is tired.  People have to protest whatever way they can when something like this is shoved down our throats

Of course they can protest anyway they want. I'll defend their right. I can also point out when a protest is ineffective and potentially damaging to the very thing you are trying to fix.

JR's income isn't changed by sponsors pulling out. The team just pulls back from signing any free agents and moves on. TLR isn't punished either. Even firing him isn't going to stop him from driving drunk. He wasn't managing when he got his second.

So sponsors pull advertising. JR still is part owner of a very nice monopoly, TLR goes back to his estate and continues retirement, and a couple reps take a hit in commission and the team doesn't sign any players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And that's not going to happen.

Sadly it's not. Especially when people care more about his job status than his court date. I'd love to see a couple thousand letters to the prosecutor.

One last note before I bow out of the discussion. I lost my brother to drunk driving. I am proud that Sox fans are upset enough about drunk driving to put that above the team. 

I want TLR off the roads to protect himself, other people on the roads, and his family from the heartbreak mine faced. I would appreciate if you are going to contact Sox sponsors you also contact the prosecutor and demand strong penalties for a repeat offender like TLR. Make this more than just protecting the image of our team and getting a better manager.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:46 AM, Balta1701 said:

Was Tony LaRussa's punishment for his first DUI sufficient to prevent him from doing it again?

I think that the fact the guy was also on meds after his hip replacement surgery may influence the judge and jury to have some leniency in the case. Like I said earlier, his alcohol read-out wasn't very high(yeah it was over the limit) but a defense lawyer could say that it was not in character for him to drink and drive but the combination of pain pills and some wine at dinner made him woozy. This combined by a penitent TLR could result in public service and other leniency.