La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1. No Free Agent is avoiding the Sox because TLR got a DUI
2. I said this before, but the majority of white people in baseball are Republicans; this may bother some, but it's simply a fact. Many would likely have attended the rally with Tony if asked.

I'll back this part -- these guys don't care that their manager got drunk and drove. that's not the point to me. it's that he hasn't reached out to players and he's going to act like an old school hard-ass manager to these guys when that doesn't play anymore. they don't care about teh DUI, but he very well could lose the clubhouse quickly into his tenure. not because of the dui, beacuse of everything else TLR.

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

Guys, TLR isn't stepping down. He knew he got another DUI the day he got the new DUI. The Sox knew he had a DUI. These guys all have egos. TLR doesn't care about his DUI like he didn't care about the last one. He only cares he got caught. Just like he didn't care about steroids. Just like he doesn't care about his players or social isssues. He cares about himself only because in his mind he's Mr perfect HOF guy. 

If his two DUI's are for crashing a car and falling asleep in an intersection imagine how many other times he's driven drunk? The two times he got caught was because he was so bad at driving that he literally basically turned himself in. He's likely driven drunk HUNDREDS OF TIMES. 60 years of driving + considering it was more socially acceptable in the 70's/80's and he was younger then? I'd guess he's driven drunk 400-500 times. Once a month for 60 years = 720 times. 

I've had people in my life who are serial drunk drivers ... they always think they're above the law, better drivers than others, the law doesn't apply to them, etc. etc. TLR is that guy. 

He's proven his ego is HUGE. He's proven he doesn't follow rules (dui and steroids) hes proven that he does not have a very pristine track record around social issues ... yet here we are. This is like a $13 beer at the park, you have to suck it up and like it because it's uncle Jerry's world and if you want to have a break from your shitty life for a few hours to watch a game, well by damn, it will be done on billionaire jerry's terms. 

A bit over the top but yea for every 100 times you drive drunk you get pulled over maybe once.  anybody that drinks and knows heavy drinkers knows that.  He has a bad problem.

Just now, Orlando said:

Have you not seen Stroman's tweets? He would have a lot of questions to answer if he signs here.

Maybe, and if the Sox are interested and offer him the most money and he declines I'll be the first to say I was wrong. IMO though, I just don't think it happens. There are a lot of POS's in MLB clubhouses throughout the game. End of the day, you sign with a team for money, and you enjoy playing because you're around the guys. Odds that Tony spends much time in the clubhouse and not inside his office are likely pretty slim. If you can win a World Series, play with some guys you enjoy or think are fun to be around, and make big money doing it I think you'll look past the temporary Maniquin in the managers office.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Guys, TLR isn't stepping down. He knew he got another DUI the day he got the new DUI. The Sox knew he had a DUI. These guys all have egos. TLR doesn't care about his DUI like he didn't care about the last one. He only cares he got caught. Just like he didn't care about steroids. Just like he doesn't care about his players or social isssues. He cares about himself only because in his mind he's Mr perfect HOF guy. 

If his two DUI's are for crashing a car and falling asleep in an intersection imagine how many other times he's driven drunk? The two times he got caught was because he was so bad at driving that he literally basically turned himself in. He's likely driven drunk HUNDREDS OF TIMES. 60 years of driving + considering it was more socially acceptable in the 70's/80's and he was younger then? I'd guess he's driven drunk 400-500 times. Once a month for 60 years = 720 times. 

I've had people in my life who are serial drunk drivers ... they always think they're above the law, better drivers than others, the law doesn't apply to them, etc. etc. TLR is that guy. 

He's proven his ego is HUGE. He's proven he doesn't follow rules (dui and steroids) hes proven that he does not have a very pristine track record around social issues ... yet here we are. This is like a $13 beer at the park, you have to suck it up and like it because it's uncle Jerry's world and if you want to have a break from your shitty life for a few hours to watch a game, well by damn, it will be done on billionaire jerry's terms. 

Only way he resigns is if he just realizes he doesn't want to deal with the whole situation...which given his ego like you mention, seems unlikely.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Didn't Stroman retract his comments last time he did this? I imagine his agent is going to be picking up the phone shortly; or maybe the Sox have expressed no interest in the first place so he knows there's nothing to lose.

He might retract on them because his agent tells him too, that doesn't mean he's not thinking it. 

And last time he was just liking tweets. 

Didn't Stroman retract his comments last time he did this? I imagine his agent is going to be picking up the phone shortly; or maybe the Sox have expressed no interest in the first place so he knows there's nothing to lose.

Last time he was responding to "likes" of critical tweets.

This is...much more explicit.

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

He might retract on them because his agent tells him too, that doesn't mean he's not thinking it. 

And last time he was just liking tweets. 

Definitely a bad look, but if people would play for Buck Showalter I don't see why they wouldn't play for Tony. Maybe Buck isn't a closeted racist.

Definitely a bad look, but if people would play for Buck Showalter I don't see why they wouldn't play for Tony. Maybe Buck isn't a closeted racist.

Buck was 14 years younger and not consistently feeling the need to speak out against players. 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A bit over the top but yea for every 100 times you drive drunk you get pulled over maybe once.  anybody that drinks and knows heavy drinkers knows that.  He has a bad problem.

Not just that - do you know how hard it is for a famous celebrity to get two DUIS? There is a reason celebs either seem normal or like major addicts - selection bias. They only get in trouble enough to get booked when they have major problems.

How many times did Tony get pulled over in St Louis with no repercussions because he is Tony LaRussa?

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

Buck was 14 years younger and not consistently feeling the need to speak out against players. 

Buck's a me first douche bag who treats players like high schoolers. I feel pretty similarly about both guys; both fans of the unwritten rules nonsense, both hate fun. I guess Adam Jones hated Tony a lot more than Buck though so that tells a bit of a story.

Something like this could be forgotten about 4 or 5  years ago. The issue here is there are always going to be alcoholic or drunk jokes thrown his way throughout the season. It’s not going to go away like they think it will.

Edited by Sockin

The thing that gets me - how the fuck did the Sox not have plans in place for this???

They knew it was happening, and they didn't have a PR gameplan ready? The best they can do is TLR barking "I have nothing to say" and hanging up? They should have had his pre-written statement framed besides his phone (because I assume he is old enough to still have an actual house phone), and had numerous plans ready to go depending on the backlash. This franchise is shockingly incompetent

• Like 2

I can't see JR giving in to public pressure. He just doesn't like people telling him how to run his team. Maybe if things get way out of hand, something may happen. But I don't know what that could be. The team will probably ride out the storm. I just don't understand why this hire was made in the first place. LaRussa, with his history, would be the last person I'd hire. Meanwhile, we are stuck with him. 

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Not just that - do you know how hard it is for a famous celebrity to get two DUIS? There is a reason celebs either seem normal or like major addicts - selection bias. They only get in trouble enough to get booked when they have major problems.

How many times did Tony get pulled over in St Louis with no repercussions because he is Tony LaRussa?

It's concerning to me because he's almost 80 as well. Shit, I've made poor decision in my life.. but at like 18, 20, 23, etc. And those bad decisions? I've probably driven drunk ... less than 5 times? and by drunk ... i mean i had a few beers on the golf course & probably would blow a .09 or .10 type of bad decisions. Like wait an hour or two in the clubhouse and then drive type of decision. Not crash my car or fall asleep in the intersection bad. Now that I'm older I don't ever put my self in that position ... just grab an Uber. It's so damn simple. 

I know this thread is 95% in agreement, so it's preaching to the choir.. just maddening.