Jump to content
Baron

La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Relax.  He'll be gone soon.  No one could survive the mess that is just getting started.

And Bochy will get snagged before the Sox make the firing official, leaving us with another Rick Renteria, watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Finally got my response from Brooks. He used the canned email, but did personalize it to me...meaning he did read it. The dude is sending out personal emails at 9pm. that speaks volumes on how much they know they are screwed. 

I also got a response about 20 minutes ago. Same thing for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

And Bochy will get snagged before the Sox make the firing official, leaving us with another Rick Renteria, watch

By who?  Are there even any manager openings at the moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Finally got my response from Brooks. He used the canned email, but did personalize it to me...meaning he did read it. The dude is sending out personal emails at 9pm. that speaks volumes on how much they know they are screwed. 

He responded to mine just now.  At least someone in the org is acknowledging how livid the fans are.  Unfortunately his tonal shift to selling how exciting the team still is doesn’t give me hope that our outrage will be heard by higher ups. 

Edited by SouthWallace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chuck is doing a podcast on it tomorrow. Seems to be the first person allowed to speak on it. Be prepared for major water carrying. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

More good publicity for the White Sox!

 

  Did he get the virus or only violate the team's policy? To me, this is minor shit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And the worst part is the Sox were on the brink of becoming Chicago’s team for the next half decade.  They could have captured thousands of young impressionable fans and turned them into lifelong supporters.  That could still happen obviously, but hiring La Russa has put that in jeopardy and for no good reason.  It’s literally one of the worst business decisions I have seen in some time.

I've felt for a long time that Jerry, at best, doesn't give a shit about that. Often times, it has felt like he has a legitimate aversion to the Sox becoming Chicago's team (or the AL Central's team). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Why are Yermin's nails so long? Good god

They’re fingernail extensions on the hand he uses for flashing signs behind the plate.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

I've felt for a long time that Jerry, at best, doesn't give a shit about that. Often times, it has felt like he has a legitimate aversion to the Sox becoming Chicago's team (or the AL Central's team). 

Kind of reminds me of this:

1544E993-CC01-4064-A69E-4DDE7ACEC8D8.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t get a response back from Reifert

What a surprise !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

Kind of reminds me of this:

1544E993-CC01-4064-A69E-4DDE7ACEC8D8.jpeg

Well if he retains TLR there won't be any elite coaches or free agent difference-makers coming here.

Rein$dorf will have his built-in excuse not to spend any money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

We've seen one player turned off about coming here due to TLR.  No one else other than Stroman to my knowledge.  99/100 guys are going to go to the team that offers the most money.  Obviously we've seen that it isn't 100% with Wheeler, but a guy can much easier swallow a couple million less when were talking about $118M over 5 years, especially if its to keep the wife happy.  Realistically, its very unlikely that another guy spurns the Sox if they're the top after tax bidder this offseason, just due to TLR.  

Look, TLR is an asshat and this was a poor hire and its looking worse by the day.  But TLR should be competent enough to manage the team (he is third all time in MLB wins after all), and JR isn't going to pull a full 180 and fire the guy when by all reports the Sox already knew about this prior to the hire.

Its embarrassing and really hard to understand their (his) logic. But it is what it is, and kicking and streaming about it is incredibly unlikely to change anything.

Only way I see something happening is TLR gets sick of all the questions and just says fuck it.  Short of that, he's going to be the manager, and the Sox are going to be just fine.  

The White Sox will not be fine. This is not going to blow over.

What coaches in their right mind want to be associated with this manager ?

Wait until the hot stove warms up and FA's look the other way. 

CWS should be the premier destination and that foolish owner is ruining it.

Only the sponser$ can get Reinsdorf's attention before it's too late.

That or some billionaire consortium that could make Reinsdorf an offer he couldn't refuse. 

 

 

Edited by GradMc
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

I was going to say, isn't he already charged? They have the evidence from when he spoke to the cops? How is he not guilty? Lol

How is anyone ever charged with anything not guilty then ?  Should there not be trials anymore ? Might as well just skip the trial and get straight to the sentencing right ?

I am trying to be as fair as possible.I pointed out that writing advertising sponsors could have undesirable consequences and so would assuming a guilty verdict before due process . It took 8 months from the incident to making charges. Lawyers live to make charges like these go away . You can assume all you want that LaRussa is guilty but  the charges could still be dropped. That won't mean it still isn't a shit show but waiting for a verdict is a rather important part of democracies all over the world.

Just because I called the the Sox organization and this situation a SHIT SHOW that doesn't mean we should spit on the judicial process. We are treading on dangerous ground here. There is enough legitimate anger here without spouting anarchy or ochlocracy .

 

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How is anyone ever charged with anything not guilty then ?  Should there not be trials anymore ? Might as well just skip the trial and get straight to the sentencing right ?

I am trying to be as fair as possible.I pointed out that writing advertising sponsors could have undesirable consequences and so would assuming a guilty verdict before due process . It took 8 months from the incident to making charges. Lawyers live to make charges like these go away . You can assume all you want that the LaRussa is guilty but  the charges could still be dropped. That won't mean it still isn't a shit show but waiting for a verdict is a rather important part of democracies all over the world.

Just because I called the the Sox organization and this situation a SHIT SHOW that doesn't mean we should spit on the judicial process. We are treading on dangerous ground here. There is enough legitimate anger here without spouting anarchy or ochlocracy.

I am not a court of law. I can apply my own judgments to a guy. I can decide that these should be diversionary paths that most DUI single time offenders have a right to not have their lives destroyed because a lot of people make that mistake and destroying the lives of a lot of people is a bad thing for everyone. I can make peace with Tony LaRussa having the ability to take one of those diversionary paths.

I also can decide that Tony LaRussa is a piece of 💩 who has done this more than once, demanded that the cop let him go because he’s legit while lying to the cop about how much he had, and does not deserve a very public role and a million dollar salary with a company I have long supported. I can also let other things he’s done, like criticize people for not being sincere and outline why that’s the most important thing to him, when he lied to everyone’s face and said this would never happen again, influence my opinion of this asshole, when aside from previous charges a court should not do that.

And if I feel completely let down by this company, I have every right to choose not to do business with them or their sponsors, and I have every right to make sure they and their sponsors know that.

It is not dangerous, it is fully my right. And if Tony LaRussa wants to complete a short jail sentence, lose his license for a year, and ride public transit in Phoenix to a job as a waiter for $2.15 an hour plus tips, he should have every right to do so. I would even encourage it.

No one has a right to a public million dollar job. Being immune from public criticism is not in the constitution.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

From what i read it was .09 at the scene (update said he blew at the scene) and then the blood test actually came in higher at .095.  Either way, its the equivalent to me of someone driving 15-20mph over the speed limit.  

Get a clue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I am not a court of law. I can apply my own judgments to a guy. I can decide that these should be diversionary paths that most DUI single time offenders have a right to not have their lives destroyed because a lot of people make that mistake and destroying the lives of a lot of people is a bad thing for everyone. I can make peace with Tony LaRussa having the ability to take one of those diversionary paths.

I also can decide that Tony LaRussa is a piece of 💩 who has done this more than once, demanded that the cop let him go because he’s legit while lying to the cop about how much he had, and does not deserve a very public role and a million dollar salary with a company I have long supported. I can also let other things he’s done, like criticize people for not being sincere and outline why that’s the most important thing to him, when he lied to everyone’s face and said this would never happen again, influence my opinion of this asshole, when aside from previous charges a court should not do that.

And if I feel completely let down by this company, I have every right to choose not to do business with them or their sponsors, and I have every right to make sure they and their sponsors know that.

It is not dangerous, it is fully my right. And if Tony LaRussa wants to complete a short jail sentence, lose his license for a year, and ride public transit in Phoenix to a job as a waiter for $2.15 an hour plus tips, he should have every right to do so.

It is dangerous because if enough people share that opinion and decide to do something about it , that can be the 1st step in anarchy or mob rule.

If you are just exercising your rights in a meaningless squabble in the grand scheme of things then I see no problem with that . But we cannot be naive that these things lead to overly emotional, irrational thought and when people are in an irrational, angry state of mind, all it takes is a leader with rational thought to rule the mob of the angry to start a revolution. A revolution to get LaRussa fired is great as long as we do not violate his civil rights in the process .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How is anyone ever charged with anything not guilty then ?  Should there not be trials anymore ? Might as well just skip the trial and get straight to the sentencing right ?

I am trying to be as fair as possible.I pointed out that writing advertising sponsors could have undesirable consequences and so would assuming a guilty verdict before due process . It took 8 months from the incident to making charges. Lawyers live to make charges like these go away . You can assume all you want that LaRussa is guilty but  the charges could still be dropped. That won't mean it still isn't a shit show but waiting for a verdict is a rather important part of democracies all over the world.

Just because I called the the Sox organization and this situation a SHIT SHOW that doesn't mean we should spit on the judicial process. We are treading on dangerous ground here. There is enough legitimate anger here without spouting anarchy or ochlocracy .

 

So far the evidence is a breathalyzer and a blood test. Maybe he gets off like Bob Avelini used to. The fact is, if he gets off, it's a technicality. He drove drunk. He used very bad judgement again. And he thought his HOF ring was immunity.

Acquitted doesn't necessarily mean you didn't do it. On average, and I have no idea how they figure these things, a person drives drunk 80 times before their first arrest. So it makes you wonder how much of a menace on the road Tony LaRussa is.

 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The post is about a Peter Gammons interview. If anyone is hysterical here, it's you clutching your pearls because "people are storming Steve Stone's Twitter account" to address his asinine comments. If Steve Stone had any sense he would have STFU and posted nothing yesterday, just as LaRussa has STFU with non MLB media since his hire.

But Stone can't help himself, just like Tony couldn't help himself by repeatedly misconstruing legitimate protests, and demanding "sincerity" from adult players before deeming them worthy of expressing their opinions. This from the same drunken ass clown who stated

 “I accept full responsibility for my conduct, and assure everyone that I have learned a very valuable lesson and that this will never occur again” after his 2007 DUI conviction.

The same drunken violent lunatic who has threatened physical harm to others over the years, including during his time here, his time in Saint Louis when he swung a fungo bat at a reporting asking about steroids, and his incident in Pittsburgh, confronting their broadcast team for calling out his bean-ball wars over the decades.

I believe you can say on top of being a drunk, he's an angry drunk and a not very sincere one who let it happen again.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It is dangerous because if enough people share that opinion and decide to do something about it , that can be the 1st step in anarchy or mob rule.

If you are just exercising your rights in a meaningless squabble in the grand scheme of things then I see no problem with that . But we cannot be naive that these things lead to overly emotional, irrational thought and when people are in an irrational, angry state of mind, all it takes is a leader with rational thought to rule the mob of the angry to start a revolution. A revolution to get LaRussa fired is great as long as we do not violate his civil rights in the process .

Bullshit. I didn’t sign away my rights at any point. The White Sox and their sponsors have no right to my money and I have not given up my right to free speech. Boycotts are the exact opposite of what you are describing. I am not asking for any government action, by definition that is not mob rule. I am using my rights to voice my opinion and to decide where to spend my money based on their actions and I refuse to give them up.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

So far the evidence is a breathalyzer and a blood test. Maybe he gets off like Bob Avelini used to. The fact is, if he gets off, it's a technicality. He drove drunk. He used very bad judgement again. And he thought his HOF ring was immunity.

 

Or if he gets off technically he never did drive drunk because maybe the tests were inaccurate.

Look I've been against the LaRussa hiring from the beginning. I told everyone that it was not the Sox PR department using LaRussa's name as a smokescreen for hiring Hinch.

Would I be far off base if I were to say that 99% of the people who drive drunk aren't caught ? There are a lot of people on this board who might have got drunk every weekend in college or at some point in young adulthood and drove drunk 100 times and never got caught. Maybe they had an alcohol problem , maybe not.

There is always the "let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone" argument or the pot calling the kettle black. Is not getting caught a technicality ?   Many of us used that very same bad judgement time after time and got away with it .

I'm not going to die on that hill arguing for TLR . I'm just advocating for clear thought without hypocrisy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Or if he gets off technically he never did drive drunk because maybe the tests were inaccurate.

Look I've been against the LaRussa hiring from the beginning. I told everyone that it was not the Sox PR department using LaRussa's name as a smokescreen for hiring Hinch.

Would I be far off base if I were to say that 99% of the people who drive drunk aren't caught ? There are a lot of people on this board who might have got drunk every weekend in college or at some point in young adulthood and drove drunk 100 times and never got caught. Maybe they had an alcohol problem , maybe not.

There is always the "let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone" argument or the pot calling the kettle black. Is not getting caught a technicality ?   Many of us used that very same bad judgement time after time and got away with it .

I'm not going to die on that hill arguing for TLR . I'm just advocating for clear thought without hypocrisy.

The tests are inaccurate?  What a coincidence that would be. People phoning in saying this guy was all over the road, and they find him with his car damaged calling AAA. How unlucky could Tony be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bullshit. I didn’t sign away my rights at any point. The White Sox and their sponsors have no right to my money and I have not given up my right to free speech. Boycotts are the exact opposite of what you are describing. I am not asking for any government action, by definition that is not mob rule. I am using my rights to voice my opinion and to decide where to spend my money based on their actions and I refuse to give them up.

Somehow your anger is over ruling your thoughts.  I didn't say you signed away your rights or didn't have the right to boycott. My original argument when responsding to the poster I responded to ( that wasn't you) was about declaring someone guilty without due process not about your rights. This is about TLR's rights. His civil rights. Everyone gets them not just the oppressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a new White Sox Talk podcast where they talk about this. Has Nightengale on and he says it's a misdemeanor and not a big deal. Chuck didn't challenge him on that. Bob also said he might get 1 day in jail. Not sure what he's basing it on.

I haven't heard the whole podcast yet. Chuck and Ryan in the beginning said they want to hear from LaRussa. Not quite sure what difference that makes in this issue. Both seemed to agree that unless Tony steps away nothing is going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that LaRussa was targeted by the cop who came upon this roadside accident. 

I hope the players have the courage to take a knee alongside their new manager on opening day to shine a light on yet another example mistreatment by police. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×