Some much needed good news - Crochet

EloyJenkins

Healed up, pain free and comfortable again.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/garrett-crochet-confident-after-relief-outings

"He feels discomfort-free after taking time off and underwent tests this past week at Camelback Ranch to set up an offseason throwing program. Crochet has moved to Arizona for the offseason, just minutes away from the White Sox facility, believing it’s an easier process to go through his workouts there during the recovery."

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Very happy to see Garrett has continued to progress, too bad it isn't the headline today, like it should be.

Unfortunately that's 2 elbow issues in about 6 months or so that were severe enough that he needed to be shut down. Doesn't bode well for future health. He's going to need to really dial down the consistent velocity other wise he's headed for the knife. 

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It was the shoulder in college and I was told it was very much precautionary. Described to me as neck pain. I agree though. I assume that anyone who throws this hard will inevitable get TJS. 

I thought I read that he was shut down due to an elbow issue. Neck pain could also be an issue as it can refer pain to either the shoulder or elbow. If its muscular that's a better sign as they can work with the scapula mechanics which is usually the cause of that type of neck pain.

• Like 1

And this statement is why we needed to get rid of Ricky and Cooper......“I was kind of sore just like leading up to the game,” Crochet said. “I felt like I just hadn’t been recovering well because I felt like I was thrown into the mix pretty quick and tried not to really speak out of turn. I didn’t want to feel like they were going to have somebody else do my job. So that was a little selfish on my part, not really speaking up a little bit more.

Edited by A-Train to 35th

9 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

And this statement is why we needed to get rid of Ricky and Cooper......“I was kind of sore just like leading up to the game,” Crochet said. “I felt like I just hadn’t been recovering well because I felt like I was thrown into the mix pretty quick and tried not to really speak out of turn. I didn’t want to feel like they were going to have somebody else do my job. So that was a little selfish on my part, not really speaking up a little bit more.

Ricky and Coop didn't put Garrett on to the roster.

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ricky and Coop didn't put Garrett on to the roster.

I thought it was a consensus with the coaches involved in the decision.  Even if they weren't involved they are the ones who put him in the games and rode him like a mule.

I  also fault Hahn for not getting  a starting pitcher at the trade deadline knowing that we only had 2 pitchers with experience.  To me the coaches decision to go with so many rookies on the playoff roster and in a deciding game 3 was inexcusable when they could have chose other options.   Call me crazy but I would have chosen Ross Detwiler to make the playoff roster instead of Garrett.  I also wouldn't have used Dylan Cease the day before and started him in game 3 if I had no other pitchers with MLB experience.  If I had a brain cramp and chose Dunning instead Cease to start a game 3,  I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T HAVE HAD A RELIEVER WARMING UP AFTER 15 PITCHES IN THE FIRST INNING!

sp

20 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

Honestly seems like a youthful ignorance thing on Garrett's part more than that would be on Ricky, Coop or Hahn.

That's exactly my point.  The Sox coaches and Management took a "kid" who last started one game for his college team, with no minor league experience and put him on a playoff roster.   And,oh by the way can you pick-up what's left after we pulled our other rookie pitcher in the first inning of a deciding game 3 do or die.   Yes, the coaches didn't have much of a choice with the playoff roster THEY and MANAGEMENT chose.  Quite simply, upper Management didn't care enough because they weren't getting fans in the stands or extra money in their pockets..  Follow the money and Jerry dries up real fast.  Jerry doesn't want to really win, sure if it happens it's nice and we get to hear him talk about Brooklyn again, but what he really wants is for us to keep coming just enough so he doesn' t have to pay extra lease money to the State.  It's all about the money with Jerry, he can take his love of the game and his Brooklyn Dodgers and SELL THE TEAM!

7 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

That's exactly my point.  The Sox coaches and Management took a "kid" who last started one game for his college team, with no minor league experience and put him on a playoff roster.   And,oh by the way can you pick-up what's left after we pulled our other rookie pitcher in the first inning of a deciding game 3 do or die.   Yes, the coaches didn't have much of a choice with the playoff roster THEY and MANAGEMENT chose.  Quite simply, upper Management didn't care enough because they weren't getting fans in the stands or extra money in their pockets..  Follow the money and Jerry dries up real fast.  Jerry doesn't want to really win, sure if it happens it's nice and we get to hear him talk about Brooklyn again, but what he really wants is for us to keep coming just enough so he doesn' t have to extra pay lease money to the State.  It's all about the money with Jerry, he can take his love of the game and his Brooklyn Dodgers and SELL THE TEAM!

I have no problem with bringing that kid up and putting him out there. Why not? As for pulling that starter in game three, that was about s dumb a move as it gets on Rickey's part. I also disagree a bit that Reinny doesn't want to win. I think he does but his managerial moves have been really dumb throughout his years as the Sox owner. I hate the SOB but I do think that he wants to win. HE just doesn't know how.

One good reason would be to protect your long term assets like what Washington did with Strasburg.  This kid went from college, to a MLB season ending playoff push, to being the savior of a game 3 playoff clincher after the starter was removed after 15 pitches.  After seeing Dunning removed that had to put added pressure into a already pressure situation for a rookie.  He risked his health after feeling something “I was kind of sore just like leading up to the game,” Crochet said." and pitched anyway because at that point he didn't want to let the other players down.  Say what you want about throwing him in there as if it can do no harm, the kid felt pressure to perform and could have hurt his long term chance for success.  He's your number 1 draft pick and he was scared of losing his job, that say's a lot. about  Sox Management caring about their players health.  “I felt like I just hadn’t been recovering well because I felt like I was thrown into the mix pretty quick and tried not to really speak out of turn. I didn’t want to feel like they were going to have somebody else do my job.  It should be up to Management to realize that they need to ease their future assets along and not throw them into the fire.  What they failed to do is sign a SP at the trade deadline when they knew they only had 2 legitimate SP's.

As for Jerry, it's not that he doesn't know how, it's more like he doesn't know how to open his wallet

27 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

One good reason would be to protect your long term assets like what Washington did with Strasburg.  This kid went from college, to a MLB season ending playoff push, to being the savior of a game 3 playoff clincher after the starter was removed after 15 pitches.  After seeing Dunning removed that had to put added pressure into a already pressure situation for a rookie.  He risked his health after feeling something “I was kind of sore just like leading up to the game,” Crochet said." and pitched anyway because at that point he didn't want to let the other players down.  Say what you want about throwing him in there as if it can do no harm, the kid felt pressure to perform and could have hurt his long term chance for success.  He's your number 1 draft pick and he was scared of losing his job, that say's a lot. about  Sox Management caring about their players health.  “I felt like I just hadn’t been recovering well because I felt like I was thrown into the mix pretty quick and tried not to really speak out of turn. I didn’t want to feel like they were going to have somebody else do my job.  It should be up to Management to realize that they need to ease their future assets along and not throw them into the fire.  What they failed to do is sign a SP at the trade deadline when they knew they only had 2 legitimate SP's.

As for Jerry, it's not that he doesn't know how, it's more like he doesn't know how to open his wallet

And this has been Overreaction Theater.

The first bolded part is all you need to know.  Crochet was hurting and didn't tell anyone.  That is the entire problem here.  Sox management felt this kid was their best chance to win.  They didn't have the information that he was hurting, otherwise they wouldn't have planned on him going 2-3 innings in the game.  The kid has to learn to speak up not only for his own good, but for the good of the team and franchise.  It's called being a good teammate.

If he blows out his arm because he can't speak up, the entire franchise is worse off for it than if they just lose the one game.

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The first bolded part is all you need to know.  Crochet was hurting and didn't tell anyone.  That is the entire problem here.  Sox management felt this kid was their best chance to win.  They didn't have the information that he was hurting, otherwise they wouldn't have planned on him going 2-3 innings in the game.  The kid has to learn to speak up not only for his own good, but for the good of the team and franchise.  It's called being a good teammate.

If he blows out his arm because he can't speak up, the entire franchise is worse off for it than if they just lose the one game.

I guess but it's kinda like tossing the keys to your Corvette to your 16 year old son and telling him to take it easy and don't go too fast. 

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I disagree and believe it's the Teams responsibility to protect their assets if they think highly enough of him to draft him number 1

Logical... and not an overreaction.

There are kids who can handle this.  They have made it work before.  It is on the athlete to communicate with his team.  That is a minimum standard no matter where they are playing.  You have to be honest with your trainers and staff.

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

THIS is overreaction theater??  :bang

On 11/12/2020 at 9:39 AM, A-Train to 35th said:

I disagree and believe it's the Teams responsibility to protect their assets if they think highly enough of him to draft him number 1

Logical... and not an overreaction.

They can't protect him if they don't know what's going on. If he doesn't tell the AT he's hurting, they can't help.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:15 AM, southsider2k5 said:

This is not any kind of cut and dry situation. He was hurting supposedly. How much was he hurting? What kind of pain was it?  Was it a sharp pain, an ache type of thing? Was it a different kind of pain? You also have to take into consideration that this is a very young kid who is extremely amped up to be in the big leagues in the first place let alone in a play-off game. A lot of times, adrenaline masks pain sometimes and maybe he just thought that it was his nerves that were causing the pain or irritation. Frankly, I am surprised that the coach and manager caught the decrease in velocity like they did. Kudos to the two of them for their vigilance.