**How to contact the White Sox & sponsors to demand Tony LaRussa's termination**

southsider2k5

Just now, Capital G said:

I assume he'll have to. I've never got a DUI but I have a couple of acquaintances that have. They had counseling classes and attended MADD. That was first offense. If I were the Sox I'd also have him go to more.... but they obviously don't care, and he'd likely leave before doing it, so it ain't happening. 

For a second it’s clear That either he wasn’t required to do counseling for the first or he didn’t care.

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Here is a post to Reddit, if you have a reddit account upvote the thread for better visibility. If you have a Twitter make sure to alert other sox fans that this is a way to voice displeasure with how this organization is going. Nobody seems to think about sponsors and how critical they can be for the bottom line. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/whitesox/comments/jru616/have_your_voice_heard/

I'm a mod on r/WhiteSox. Maybe I should sticky this post...  let me ask the other mods.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean asking if we are Sincere in general.

I thought it was a legit question. Lol

Most people hated the hire to begin with so it's easy to see why this post exists. Just curious if we'd have this post if we hired your #1 managerial choice.

10 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I thought it was a legit question. Lol

Most people hated the hire to begin with so it's easy to see why this post exists. Just curious if we'd have this post if we hired your #1 managerial choice.

It is a legit and fair question. But there’s a deep irony in asking if someone is sincere when Tony LaRussa himself has criticized people for being insincere, including Kaepernick for no reason other than he could get away with saying that about a black man, while LaRussa was insincere in 2007 when he said it wouldn’t happen again.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

One the day prior to the announcement that he would be Manager, was Tony convicted or were charges just brought against him ?

Just charged. Presumably at some point in the next few months he will agree to a plea bargain as he won’t want to go to a trial. Whether it includes a few days of jail time, we will see.

As someone who has gotten one DUI (no one was hurt and I was pulled over for speeding and then arrested with alcohol on my breath),  I would like to put my two cents here. 

I went through two stages of counseling, 6 months of hell financially and legally, and I realized through that process that I needed to reevaluate a lot of things.

after doing so, I realized that I couldn’t do things the same way. It wasn’t the first time I had driven under the influence. After a lot of reflection, I ultimately made the decision that alcohol was not something I could make a judgment call of any kind after imbibing, so I have been sober since a few weeks after the event, about 3 and a half years. 

I feel like I was extraordinarily lucky to make that choice. While I went through my legal process and counseling process, I encountered a lot of individuals who could not make that choice, and were on DUI number 2, 3, 4. Some showed up to court or to class or therapy drunk. 

I have empathy for people who struggle with alcohol - it is socially accepted and loudly encouraged. Driving under the influence is not only tolerated, it is apologized for. Let me be clear: it’s absolutely unacceptable, and it shouldn’t happen-  and we need to address it culturally. We haven’t yet. I’m not saying alcohol is bad at all. It isn’t. It’s simply dangerous. And it inhibits judgement. 

As an editorial comment, my experience with the process informed me that the system we have has little interest in saving lives. It’s easy to save lives - we require breathalyzers on all vehicles just like you mandate seatbelts. The cost is subsidized by the government. You train the public on how to use them, they do, people complain, but lives are saved. A few people are 15 minutes late to work because they forgot mouthwash is problematic. But - nobody dies. I find that troubling that the system doesn’t make that choice. The system is set up to be a reliable revenue generator. Business is great, by the way - hundreds were in the courtroom every time I was there. Spending thousands of dollars they can’t afford. No mechanism is set up to do anything more than punish them. 

Most importantly, TLR himself needs to address this problem in his life, because 2 DUIs is a chronic problem.  He is in danger of putting his, and other lives, at risk. There are no doubt more instances he got away with. However, nothing will change if he is enabled here. That’s first and foremost. 

Moreover, the White Sox deserve more from the manager of a storied franchise. We deserve a first class manager who can give his full attention to one of 30 professional organizations at the very highest level in the world.

TLR had a great career, but this is an unacceptable set of circumstances for the incoming manager of the White Sox. While dealing with the legal fallout from this, he will be distracted. While the media frenzies about this, the organization will be distracted. The players will have to now tolerate an utter circus while trying to focus on championship baseball - in a pandemic - and they will be distracted. We don’t have the luxury with the window we have to deal with this. 

my two cents.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Capital G said:

Honest question. Is this only bc of the DUI or only bc it's TLR?

if we had hired (insert your #1 preference) and found out he was convicted of a DUI the day before would we be going through all this?

Two DUI's and his arrogant entitled belligerence at the immediate consequence of his actions during arrest.  The fact that he had to say he wasn't racist during the press conference.  His total ambivalence to rampant steroid use in his locker rooms.   His age, mental acuity, and current decision making.  His lengthy time away from a job that is drastically more modern and advanced today.  These are just off the top of my head...

• Fire 2

5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

As someone who has gotten one DUI (no one was hurt and I was pulled over for speeding and then arrested with alcohol on my breath),  I would like to put my two cents here. 

I went through two stages of counseling, 6 months of hell financially and legally, and I realized through that process that I needed to reevaluate a lot of things.

after doing so, I realized that I couldn’t do things the same way. It wasn’t the first time I had driven under the influence. After a lot of reflection, I ultimately made the decision that alcohol was not something I could make a judgment call of any kind after imbibing, so I have been sober since a few weeks after the event, about 3 and a half years. 

I feel like I was extraordinarily lucky to make that choice. While I went through my legal process and counseling process, I encountered a lot of individuals who could not make that choice, and were on DUI number 2, 3, 4. Some showed up to court or to class or therapy drunk. 

I have empathy for people who struggle with alcohol - it is socially accepted and loudly encouraged. Driving under the influence is not only tolerated, it is apologized for. Let me be clear: it’s absolutely unacceptable, and it shouldn’t happen-  and we need to address it culturally. We haven’t yet. I’m not saying alcohol is bad at all. It isn’t. It’s simply dangerous. And it inhibits judgement. 

As an editorial comment, my experience with the process informed me that the system we have has little interest in saving lives. It’s easy to save lives - we require breathalyzers on all vehicles just like you mandate seatbelts. The cost is subsidized by the government. You train the public on how to use them, they do, people complain, but lives are saved. A few people are 15 minutes late to work because they forgot mouthwash is problematic. But - nobody dies. I find that troubling that the system doesn’t make that choice. The system is set up to be a reliable revenue generator. Business is great, by the way - hundreds were in the courtroom every time I was there. Spending thousands of dollars they can’t afford. No mechanism is set up to do anything more than punish them. 

Most importantly, TLR himself needs to address this problem in his life, because 2 DUIs is a chronic problem.  He is in danger of putting his, and other lives, at risk. There are no doubt more instances he got away with. However, nothing will change if he is enabled here. That’s first and foremost. 

Moreover, the White Sox deserve more from the manager of a storied franchise. We deserve a first class manager who can give his full attention to one of 30 professional organizations at the very highest level in the world.

TLR had a great career, but this is an unacceptable set of circumstances for the incoming manager of the White Sox. While dealing with the legal fallout from this, he will be distracted. While the media frenzies about this, the organization will be distracted. The players will have to now tolerate an utter circus while trying to focus on championship baseball - in a pandemic - and they will be distracted. We don’t have the luxury with the window we have to deal with this. 

my two cents.

Thanks for sharing your story and opinion here in light of this news Greg.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

my two cents.

Let's just close this thread & keep it pinned for the work Balta put into it, but my god this response deserves to be one of the last.

Good for you for sharing this and having not only a first hand pov but for giving such a well-thought-out comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Just to show how you can alter Balta's Goose Island message for any company, here is one for Statefarm:

Hello

I have Statefarm for both my mortgage and car insurance. For years you have given me comfort knowing the roof over my head is taken care of. I am also an advocate for safe and responsible driving. I know Statefarm also highly values the importance of responsible driving. Your company is a sponsor of the White Sox, with logos throughout their ballpark during the last season. That's why I'm writing this email today, because it's a disappointing day for White Sox fans as the team just hired a manager, Tony LaRussa, who we just learned now has 2 arrests for DUI on his record after an incident earlier this year. According to press reports, he was just charged in late October, the day before the team hired him, and now the team won't even comment on his arrest. Furthermore, on the evening of his arrest, he was belligerent with a police officer, stating "Do you know who I am, I'm a legit Hall of Fame guy" according to press reports. 

Statefarm has been my go to insurance company because of the stance you take on drinking and driving. Yet, a team you sponsor doesn't seem to think that safety while drinking is something they need to be concerned with. There are countless articles and tips on your website concerning drinking and driving. For instance 30 people a day die from drinking and driving, that is from your site.  I ask you then why would you be a sponsor of a team that does not agree with your stance? I'd hope that Statefarm will consider taking up this issue with the White Sox, and if necessary, limiting or ending their sponsorship of that team. If this person continues being their coach and Statefarm continues as their sponsor next season, I will have to conclude that Statefarm finds that behavior acceptable, and unfortunately I will be remembering that any time I think about purchasing your products, or when I renew for my mortgage and car insurance.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration

Just remember, that if the way you make your voice heard is through sponsors and the Sox lose sponsors, Reinsdorf can turn right around, do next to nothing this off season while claiming the team is in dire financial straits. He wouldn't have to specifically mention losing sponsors since that would be admitting his actions caused it. He already has a built in excuse to go cheap with the Pandemic.

If you write sponsors just because you are choosing the moral high ground  then what I just said is no concern but if you would like the Sox to have a productive off season you might be putting that at risk although it's already hard enough to determine how much the Sox would spend on payroll this off season.

Also the Sox are not one of the teams that has announced the firing of long time organization employees. Another consequence of your actions could be people not named LaRussa losing their jobs. Remember shit rolls down hill and it's the people on the bottom of the organizational dung heap that get shit canned 1st.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Capital G said:

Honest question. Is this only bc of the DUI or only bc it's TLR?

if we had hired (insert your #1 preference) and found out he was convicted of a DUI the day before would we be going through all this?

Lmao. No.

ive always wondered who these people are that spend their free time contacting advertisers. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It is a legit and fair question. But there’s a deep irony in asking if someone is sincere when Tony LaRussa himself has criticized people for being insincere, including Kaepernick for no reason other than he could get away with saying that about a black man, while LaRussa was insincere in 2007 when he said it wouldn’t happen again.

How is ironic unless capital g is TLR???

keep grinding that axe

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

my two cents.

Thanks for putting this out there. I am a recovering alcoholic with a DUI. You nailed everything here. First thing I thought of when I heard this is Tony likely has a problem, and if he doesn't face up to some things he will do this again. 

I don't like seeing people in that stage as it's a painful place to be, but enabling this behavior is the last thing he needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I firmly believe in 2nd chances in life. TLR has already burned his up. He made a decision to get behind the wheel after drinking, AGAIN, and was caught (how many times did he do this without being caught?).  

He has lost all ability to be a leader of men and hold others accountable. I have lost all respect for him and am not interested in hearing any excuses or half baked apologies. He has already made it clear that he thinks it’s ok to drink and drive. 

I disagree

• Like 2