New Manager. Who could sox target at this point?

KrankinSox

If La Russa is removed from his role as White Sox Manager, and I realize that is a very big 'if', then who do you think the Sox will target to fill the role?

Bochy was a rumored target. Hinch and Cora are off the market. Could the Sox possibly look to another former member of the org?

Another aspect of this is how much of the shine has been taken from this opening? This was undoubtedly the top available managerial role available and still is, but is it toxic enough of a situation to give prospective managers second thoughts?

5 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

If La Russa is removed from his role as White Sox Manager, and I realize that is a very big 'if', then who do you think the Sox will target to fill the role?

Bochy was a rumored target. Hinch and Cora are off the market. Could the Sox possibly look to another former member of the org?

Another aspect of this is how much of the shine has been taken from this opening? This was undoubtedly the top available managerial role available and still is, but is it toxic enough of a situation to give prospective managers second thoughts?

Sure they would be interested if I were them. This team already is loaded and have a wealth of prospects to use to make it even better either via trade or developing into major leaguers themselves.

But, this is all Reinny's fault and he needs to act soon and correctly. Letting this go on and on through the winter will hurt the off season possibilities.

• Like 1

I could see a Bochy type declining the opportunity now, but a long time bench coach likely still jumps at a shot at a managing gig.  The pluses are still obvious even with front office dysfunction more openly evident. 

Alomar, Quatraro, & Espada would/should be on the short list. 

36 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Alomar. You take away from a division rival. 

Just a no-brainer type of decision. 

Reinsdorf really took the heat off the Tigers and now has a perfect excuse why he won't be spending any money on elite FA's - no one wants to come here.

This guy is sadistic.

He'll never give us the satisfaction of turning over the keys to new ownership.

Edited by GradMc
  • Thanks 1

It appeared Bochy was their second choice, and previously he said he would listen. You just wonder if a guy with 3 rings and in his mid 60s would be willing to be the back up option. 

But I can't see the Sox letting LaRussa go. Unless LaRussa deems it too embarrassing for the organization and walks away, I can't see how he will not be running spring training.

And the fact that he took the job and had the press conference knowing this day would come at some point, it doesn't appear he can be embarrassed.

I think Bochy is one guy where this situation has been toxic enough and disrespectful enough that he wouldn’t take the job unless he was made the highest paid coach in the league. And the guy who hired his drinking buddy won’t do that.

Every other name you mention...we should have interviewed them back in October. But they will still almost certainly have interest. I do wonder if any of them will have conditions about taking the job because of this 💩 show.

14 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Is there a precedent in firing a manager before he even manages one game with current team?

George O'Leary famously "resigned" days after being hired by Notre Dame after it was discovered he lied on his resumé https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-dame-coach-resigns-in-disgrace/

More recently, Beltran was hired and fired by the Mets last year after the cheating scandal broke. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/mets-fire-manager-carlos-beltran-wake-astros-sign-stealing-scandal-n1116271

Edited by MiddleCoastBias
Forgot Carlos Beltran

4 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

George O'Leary famously "resigned" days after being hired by Notre Dame after it was discovered he lied on his resumé https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-dame-coach-resigns-in-disgrace/

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/2020/01/16/carlos-beltran-joins-list-coaches-never-make-first-game/4491599002/

Assuming the Sox cut clean on LaRussa and don't have him hanging around in the background I don't see how this job is now less desirable that it was a month ago.  JR has been around 40 years, everyone knows the pros and cons of working for him by now.

While what he did is surprising, it really isn't.