Marcus Stroman accepts qualifying offer from Mets

TomPickle

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

And this is why he went HAM on LaRussa. What a dingleberry. And not too smart of a move with a looming CBA coming. Shoulda got that money.

I think you are going to see a lot of 1 year deals to be honest with teams wanting to be cheap due to covid

16 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

And this is why he went HAM on LaRussa. What a dingleberry. And not too smart of a move with a looming CBA coming. Shoulda got that money.

IMO - he did. No way February rolls around and he has $19 million this year sitting on the table for himself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I like this move for Stroman.  He gets $19 million this year in the worst free agent market in history, and gets to go back to free agency next year without a draft pick hanging over his head.  He can also still negotiate an extension with the Mets, which is very possible right now.

This. 100% the right play; unless his agent thought he was going to get a big long term deal (probably not happening in this environment and I presume his agent would have been able to do enough intel to figure out if it was the case and/or get an idea of odds), getting paid this year knowing you will be a true FA (with no draft pick overhang) a year from now in what will hopefully be a much better economic environment - no brainer.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Looking at Stroman's career numbers, I don't see anything special with this guy.  He's Jose Quintana level.   And the Sox could probably get Quintana on a year deal for about half of what Stroman signed for. 

Yes he is definitely overrated here.  He'd be nice to have for sure.. But he would never be a difference maker in a playoff game... Which is what we need to start looking towards

6 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Not totally shocked honestly.  I figured he might have trouble finding a better AAV in a depressed market this winter, but hoped more total dollars guaranteed would lure him to test the waters.  Oh well.

I agree. He wouldn't get a higher AAV and a long term contract would have been greatly reduced. So he pockets the 18 mil and then hopes finances are better in early 2022.

Of course he will be a year older and also could get hurt and then make nothing but he has made enough money so he can take the gamble.