Jerry Reinsdorf - time to go? Yay or Nay!

Thad Bosley

Are you, the fan of the Chicago White Sox, ready for a new owner?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you, the fan of the Chicago White Sox, ready for a new owner?

• YES! It’s been 40 years of constant dysfunction throughout Reinsdorf’s tenure and I’m tired of it
    • Yes, but only because of this recent Tony LaRussa episode
    • Not ready for that conclusion just yet
    • No, I may not be happy with the current LaRussa situation, but otherwise I’ve been satisfied with Reinsdorf’s performance
    • NO! The LaRussa situation is being overblown, and is distorting what has otherwise been a great 40 year run

This month coincidentally marks the 40 year anniversary of Jerry Reinsdorf taking over control of our Chicago White Sox.  

How’s he done, how’s he doing, and where do you stand in terms of your wishes as to his continuation on as owner?

Granted, he’s not going anywhere, and the results of this poll won’t influence anything either on him or the organization.  

But after four decades, where does the loyal fan base stand with this guy?  

• Like 1

Can't see any option other than the first listed winning.

A poll with a chance of getting a divergence in opinion would be what is your top reason Jerry Reinsdorf should go after 40 seasons?

Here are my five options, though perhaps others have other reasons (like threatening to move to Tampa in 1986):

• 1980 - The Chicago White Sox had a relatively 50/50 fan attendance / interest split in Chicago. This severely eroded under Jerry Reinsdorf's tenure.
  • 1990 - Coup d'etat of Fay Vincent and installation of puppet Bud Selig as MLB Commissioner to eliminate any objectivity or representation beyond ownership.
  • 1994 - MLB Season lockout and cancellation, and the impact on the first place White Sox, the Montreal Expos which were destroyed, or MLB as a sport.
  • 2005 - The only season in 40 years the White Sox advanced in the playoffs. "Show fans the carrot" and don't leave a dollar on the table is his operating philosophy.
  • 2020 - The Tony LaRussa Hostage Crisis, ruining all goodwill earned by the players and fostering near universal toxicity throughout the White Sox Organization.

4 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

This month coincidentally marks the 40 year anniversary of Jerry Reinsdorf taking over control of our Chicago White Sox.  

How’s he done, how’s he doing, and where do you stand in terms of your wishes as to his continuation on as owner?

Granted, he’s not going anywhere, and the results of this poll won’t influence anything either on him or the organization.  

But after four decades, where does the loyal fan base stand with this guy?  

40 years and only 1 championship says it all.  

Stay. He might have only 1 championship, but a 2nd is arriving shortly. He’s fostered a personable, family-like environment where everyone knows everyone top-to-bottom. Former players enjoy it so much they return often. His biggest mistake was 35 years ago, but he‘s humble enough to correct it 35 years later when most billionaires would never admit a mistake. 

His relationship skills are second to none. I envy his and Tony’s friendship and it’s my goal to build a friendship that special one day. The fairytale ending of a lifetime is coming in an October or two, and will be a huge storyline when Ken Burns films his 2020s documentary. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Stay. He might have only 1 championship, but a 2nd is arriving shortly. He’s fostered a personable, family-like environment where everyone knows everyone top-to-bottom. Former players enjoy it so much they return often. His biggest mistake was 35 years ago, but he‘s humble enough to correct it 35 years later when most billionaires would never admit a mistake. 

His relationship skills are second to none. I envy his and Tony’s friendship and it’s my goal to build a friendship that special one day. The fairytale ending of a lifetime is coming in an October or two, and will be a huge storyline when Ken Burns films his 2020s documentary. 

At least we know Jerry’s handle now

Jerry has been a good owner IMO because of the family feel in both the organization and the park.  Players and fans seem to have a good time at the park.  Unless we get an ultra-rich billionaire owner...any group buying the club will run it in a fiscally responsible way.  The poorer the group the more they use Veeck's rent a player philosophy.  Fans love these all-in mega-deal opportunities that become available every year.  A typical ownership group would not be willing to gamble with these all or nothing moves.  Given these realities, I believe JR has built some good clubs and some not-so-good clubs.  I've been entertained through most of it, however.  I am turned off by this TL situation but like all of us...JR can make mistakes.  This is a mistake born out of loyalty to his friend... no ill will to the fans.  I wish he would fix this situation but I'll enjoy next season no matter what he does.

• Haha 1

The family feel is Brooks Boyer JR has nothing to do with that.

The JR regimes both allow good people to leave and retain the wrong people.  They never bring in proven winners.

Championships are not a fair barometer I will say there should be vastly more playoff appearances especially when you are not competing against the big money teams.  Over his 40 years his organization has been lapped by every team in the division. 

• Like 2

Why even bother with this? Owners can't be fired. They leave when they die, decide they don't want to own the team anymore, or in exceptionally rare circumstances are forced to sell by the other owners. So, unlike a manager or GM where the ire of the fanbase might cause ownership to notice and take action, this accomplishes literally nothing other than to say "I'm mad about it!" Bad news, friends, Reinsdorf probably made a lot of people mad on his way to becoming a billionaire, and my guess is he probably doesn't care about any of it to this day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yes...please sell to an extremely rich person who absolutely hates to lose.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm jealous of Mets fans right now.

Hearing how Cohen has always been an ardent fan, has a chip on his shoulder to always being overshadowed by the Yankees, and being the richest owner in history and wants to build a contender *now*, they're primed for good years ahead. Good for them, their fans have earned a chance.

• Thanks 1