Sox hire Ethan Katz per WSD

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Is he all in analytics?

I don't know what all in on analytics means or even matters, but when working with Giolito he found him all the support, tools, and technology needed to overhaul his mechanics in one offseason.

He seems to get the trust of the pitchers he works with, which is the A1 responsibility here:

"The biggest thing I learned early was getting the players to trust you," he said. "You have to make sure they know it's about them and it's not about you. Once that happened, it was pretty easy. That was something I focused on -- building the relationships."

After the high school season, in the summers of 2011 and 2012, Katz served as pitching coach of the La Crosse [Wisconsin] Loggers in the collegiate wood-bat Northwoods League. Andy McKay, who became a mental skills coach in the Rockies system in 2012 and was named the Mariners director of player development in October 2015, was the Loggers manager at the time. In Katz's second season with the Loggers, Tyler Servais, son of then-Angels assistant GM and current Mariners manager Scott Servais, was the team's catcher.

Just unbelievable luck (well, that's a very wealthy school, but still) the coaching group that was put together for Fried, Giolito and Flaherty in high school. 

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This is a good sign. Wonder what kind of impact, if at all, this has on convincing someone like Bauer to come here as well.

Depends how much money Katz is throwing into the pot to help sign him. 

Alright! 

Probably an overreaction - but that's what this board is for right? Overreactions. 

I like this move. I like the idea of not going all legacy guys. Also it does seem to fit the narrative that Hahn was given the boobie prize of getting his choice on pitching coach. 

Hopefully! it means Bauer will consider us a little more seriously if JR is willing to spend on SP and short-term deals.