Sox hire Ethan Katz per WSD

soxfan49

8 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Great hire.  He needs to work with Cease and Reylo stat.  

I'm done with ReyLo. Cease still hasn't pitched a full 162 so I give him more slack, however he has a lot of similarities to ReyLo, namely not being able to spot the fastball and inability to miss bats despite throwing fire. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

It's a fine hire, certainly doesn't reinstill confidence in the organization though. And I worry that Katz, with no formal head-pitching coach in the big leagues, could easily be drowned out by La Russa.

This worries me because his is so different than Tony and Tony - by all accounts - is in charge.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm done with ReyLo. Cease still hasn't pitched a full 162 so I give him more slack, however he has a lot of similarities to ReyLo, namely not being able to spot the fastball and inability to miss bats despite throwing fire. 

Everyone was done with Gio as well.  Lets see if this guy can do something with him.  Reylos pitching style completely changed from the time he was with the Nats to our version of him.  Lets De-Cooper him a bit and see if he is still poop.  If he still sucks after working with Katz then sure jettison him to the 4th ring of hell.  

• Like 3

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Everyone was done with Gio as well.  Lets see if this guy can do something with him.  Reylos pitching style completely changed from the time he was with the Nats to our version of him.  Lets De-Cooper him a bit and see if he is still poop.  If he still sucks after working with Katz then sure jettison him to the 4th ring of hell.  

I'd prefer to trade him to Boston for Benintendi. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

I thought this word was banned in here? 

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

"A new broom sweeps clean"...you never know when a coach shows you just the right thing to unlock the talent.  At least I hope so in Cease & Lopez cases.

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

What he did with Giolito mattered. It also is great for the young staff. Better than a retread, and a positive sign towards analytics. My biggest question is was TLR at all part of the process or is Hahn doing his work regardless and this causes friction in the future?

Agreed. Great hire.

I’d prefer Hahn and key players like Lucas Giolito and Tim Anderson recruit and hire the coaching staff.

Tony would never have recruited Katz. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Two things:

- Giolito trained with Lopez last year, so I’m sure Katz will be around him this offseason

- judging by Katz’s twitter, he’s very supportive of kneeling, etc.  It’s nice to see given what we all know.

But is he sincere

• Haha 1