Sox hire Ethan Katz per WSD

soxfan49

1 hour ago, mqr said:

This almost makes me feel like Tony is an empty jersey

Hire Sam Fuld as bench coach and let him manage the clubhouse.  We’re stuck with La Russa as our in-game decision maker for better or worse, but let’s limit his interactions with the actual players and perhaps his risk is reduced.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hire Sam Fuld as bench coach and let him manage the clubhouse.  We’re stuck with La Russa as our in-game decision maker for better or worse, but let’s limit his interactions with the actual players and perhaps his risk is reduced.

Isn't McEwing the bench coach?  Why would LaRussa not keep him on.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That’s fine. If they aren’t, I look forward to seeing what he does with them. A new set of outside eyes is exactly what this team needs for their young pitchers that failed to make the jump under Coop. 

I agree! I really love this hire! It will be interesting to see what he will do. Also with Stiever.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How many assholes does Sam Fuld want to work for in his career?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does Boston want to make this trade?

Possibly. They're short on pitching, and Sale isn't due back until June or July. 

Benintendi has been pretty disappointing for them, though not as bad as Lopez has been for the Sox. They'd need to add a small amount, but there are guys running out of options like Adolfo and Rutherford that could be of use on a flier to a rebuilding team. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Possibly. They're short on pitching, and Sale isn't due back until June or July. 

Benintendi has been pretty disappointing for them, though not as bad as Lopez has been for the Sox. They'd need to add a small amount, but there are guys running out of options like Adolfo and Rutherford that could be of use on a flier to a rebuilding team. 

White Sox are short on pitching because they have Lopez.

Finally some good news!  From everything I have seen this looks like a great hire.  I personally wanted Fetter (Tigers now 2-2 on hires that I thought would be good), but think Katz could be just as good.  He already did wonders with Giolito (so I am sure he is pumped), so hopefully he can do the same with Cease & Kopech.

I saw this mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I hope this signals that Hahn is hiring the staff.  I am pretty sure LaRussa doesn't even know who this guy is.

1 hour ago, Buehrle5687 said:

I'd have to for Lopez and someone else, right?  Can't imagine Lopez has much trade value at this point.

Boston isn't trading Benintendi. They lost Betts and Bradley so they are already shopping for another OF( Springer was rumored as one possibilty)

To be honest, I kinda thought it was some kind of joke that Giolito was fixed by his high school coach.  I didn't realize he was actually a bonified mlb qualified pitching coach.  My bad.  :blink:

With that being said, if more knowledgeable folks around here say it is a good hire, terrific.

Now go sign that guy that just won the NL Cy Young award.

• Like 1