Sox hire Ethan Katz per WSD

soxfan49

On 11/15/2020 at 6:38 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You cant tell a coach who he can and can't help during the off season. They don't control his right to teach.

Are you sure about that? I doubt it. Contracts are contracts and it all depends on what they have written in a guy's contract. If I am a computer contractor and hired to develop software for a company, the company that hired me would not take it kindly if I worked for another company or did programming for free for someone else. I'm not saying what this guy did was wrong, it's just questionable from a few different angles.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, Jack Parkman said:

That's why you don't give up on him...yet. The Sox are trying to win though and they don't have as much time to mess around with Cease as they did with Giolito and Lopez. 

The fact of life is that it is really up to Cease, Dunning, Lopez, Burdi, and Rodon in this off season and spring training to figure things out for themselves. Baseball does give number one drafted guys more to develop but it is not endless and they all are reaching the sink or swim deadline. Cease may have a little bit more time but not much as I see it. What they are facing is a group of other young studs behind them in experience that have the same pedigree and the Sox or any team will not wait before deciding on one or more of the younger kids to move into a higher status in the organization. And you never know if some lower rated guy may find himself figuring out the magic potion of development and rocket ahead of all of these guys.

Personally I think that Cease is going to be fixed on his stride and release point and become a top of the order guy. I also really like Burdi's stuff although he may better fit as a set-up type or closer along with Huerer. Crochet is a year away in developing into a starter but what a future that kid has. Probably the best of them all as a starting pitcher.

Edited by The Hawk

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Are you sure about that? I doubt it. Contracts are contracts and it all depends on what they have written in a guy's contract. If I am a computer contractor and hired to develop software for a company, the company that hired me would not take it kindly if I worked for another company or did programming for free for someone else. I'm not saying what this guy did was wrong, it's just questionable from a few different angles.

The goal of baseball isn't to ruin players on other teams. 

Minor league coaches make very little money. Their teachings do not become proprietary just because a team signed them; I get what you're saying but that's just not how baseball works. Many of these minor league coaches and etc still do private trainings and 1-1 sessions with people.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The goal of baseball isn't to ruin players on other teams. 

Minor league coaches make very little money. Their teachings do not become proprietary just because a team signed them; I get what you're saying but that's just not how baseball works. Many of these minor league coaches and etc still do private trainings and 1-1 sessions with people.

The way baseball works follows how contracts are outlined. Very seldom do professional coaches work with other professional organizations players. YEah, pitching coaches at all levels participate in and are paid for working with young pitchers in clinics and the like and can give a player private lessons but even then these guys have to follow rules set by the team that they contract with as well as other rules set out for example by college baseball teams. These teams drill into their own players heads that the pitcher is not to seek out other coaching or teaching without the go ahead given by the college coach or organization. I have experienced that myself when former players have called me up asking to take a look at their delivery and such.

14 minutes ago, smellysox said:

So are we close to finding out the rest of the coaching staff? I was thinking any day? I thought it was pretty soon.

Sounded like it would be early this week.  At this point it’s really just bench coach and assistant hitting coach that are still up in the air.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The longer this goes, the more you figure we are just going internal. Make of that what you will.

Oh really?  I totally think the opposite and feel like we might go in a different direction than Super Joe as bench coach.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

On 11/15/2020 at 8:35 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I wonder if the Cooper firing was a long time coming (relatively speaking) or if the struggles of Cease & Lopez are what drove the change.

Either way works for me.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:38 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You cant tell a coach who he can and can't help during the off season. They don't control his right to teach.

As others have posted, what does his contract say?

On 11/15/2020 at 9:07 AM, bmags said:

I think this is the right main point but I would stress that it’s Giolito that deserves most of the credit. Katz went all in on helping him but it was Giolito who knew what changes to make

The problem was getting all the pitches to come out of the same arm slot.  When that was fixed, suddenly the changeup became unhittable.  Give credit to whomever, Gio or Katz or the Phantom.

8 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

But Hawk told us the best pitch in baseball is a well placed fastball...while may be true.....I don't think it is the be all end all.

There is no doubt that it is the best pitch in a pitcher's quiver. If you cannot hit your target with a fastball, you sure as hell cannot hit it with any other pitch. ANd if pitchers cannot hit their target, they won't be pitchers for very long. 

Edited by The Hawk

10 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Jocketty’s also not surprised to see La Russa managing at age 76, since he’s been hearing about his desire to jump back in for the last few years.

“He’s really had the energy and ambition to get back to managing because he sees things he doesn’t like in the way the game is played some times, and he’d like to have some opportunity to show how he did it, obviously with some adjustments,” Jocketty said. “He was definitely fired up for this and he’s got the energy and the drive to take this thing as far as he can take it.”

Oh FFS!

• Fire 2

15 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

Jocketty’s also not surprised to see La Russa managing at age 76, since he’s been hearing about his desire to jump back in for the last few years.

“He’s really had the energy and ambition to get back to managing because he sees things he doesn’t like in the way the game is played some times, and he’d like to have some opportunity to show how he did it, obviously with some adjustments,” Jocketty said. “He was definitely fired up for this and he’s got the energy and the drive to take this thing as far as he can take it.”

Oh FFS!

In every conceivable way this is a nightmare. Good lord.

• Like 2