George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

But why would Springer’s agent agree to anything until hearing from Mets

It’s all a crapshoot for both teams and players in my opinion. What if the Sox offer him 5/125 now and he waits for the Mets they drag and then have no interest in him ? Or more info comes out about the amount of games or lack of fans for next year so teams like the Sox bow out? But I agree he will probably want to hear from them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It’s all a crapshoot for both teams and players in my opinion. What if the Sox offer him 5/125 now and he waits for the Mets they drag and then have no interest in him ? Or more info comes out about the amount of games or lack of fans for next year so teams like the Sox bow out? But I agree he will probably want to hear from them.

If the White Sox offered him 5/$125 right now I think he'd jump at it.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

But why would Springer’s agent agree to anything until hearing from Mets

Because you put an offer on the table that was stupid and might be $50 million more than any other offer the guy gets this offseason. If you do that, it'll get done. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox offered him 5/$125 right now I think he'd jump at it.

I would hope if that is their guy, they would offer him a fair but nice contract that he just jumps on. This is probably the only off season where players don’t try to milk every last cent and just jump on fair contracts.

13 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I would hope if that is their guy, they would offer him a fair but nice contract that he just jumps on. This is probably the only off season where players don’t try to milk every last cent and just jump on fair contracts.

Nothing the White Sox do would shock me, but I'd be more than a little surprised if they feel confident they can afford that right now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I agree.. I actually think FA will move fast because players know teams are not spending much money.. So they gotta take a good offer once given one.

If the White Sox are doing that where they don’t yet know they have the money to add their needed pitching, well they better be ready to take several seasons of losses because of that contract as they’re all but guaranteeing it. Especially with how it looks right now. They better have lots of liquid cash available to cover it. They might, this could just be payback for 3 cheap seasons.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox are doing that where they don’t yet know they have the money to add their needed pitching, well they better be ready to take several seasons of losses because of that contract as they’re all but guaranteeing it. Especially with how it looks right now. They better have lots of liquid cash available to cover it. They might, this could just be payback for 3 cheap seasons.

What in the world are you talking about son?

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would rather have the Sox put all their financial resources into getting Bauer but maybe they don’t think it’s likely that they will be able to get him.

I just feel like it’s not the same. A 4 year deal for $100 million or so for Springer is a better play than getting in a bidding war for Bauer. Makes sense to me. Just my opinion though 

7 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

4 years would be great for Springer, but I would be shocked if he doesnt get 5 years, unless he gets an opt out in that 4 year deal. In big time FA you always have to go 1 year longer than you should to secure the deal.

I fully agree, but perhaps this one year will be the exception?  That being said, I’d be shocked if he took less than $100M guaranteed under any scenario.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just feel like it’s not the same. A 4 year deal for $100 million or so for Springer is a better play than getting in a bidding war for Bauer. Makes sense to me. Just my opinion though 

Realistically how much more money would Bauer get than Springer? Unless it’s a ridiculous amount more, I’d rather just go after him.