George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When the Sox convert on a top guy, Belle, Abreu, Grandal, its usually very early. So I think, like LaRussa, this stuff is legit.  Although for all its greatness, the hamburgers at Portillos are pretty meh.

Wow, completely disagree. The burgers are great there. They’re like a delicious version of the Whopper. 

• Love 1

Springer is the move I want this offseason. The gap between his production and the other options (except Ozuna, but we already saw the Sox pass on him a year ago) is vast. There are no OF bats down on the farm you're blocking. Pounce on him.

The lineup would be RH heavy, so, fine. You have to find a couple lefty bench bats to have around. 

Bauer would be great because we all know what happens if you don't have starting pitching in the playoffs, but he could get more than twice the Springer price tag. That's not happening. 

1 hour ago, sox71 said:

People, do you believe this Springer talk is legit?

Apparently so judging by the answers after you asked. I think that if there was a poll Springer wouldn't be a top priority since it was so obvious we need another TOR starter.However, since Bauer seems to be the only one that fits that description perhaps the Sox have set their sights on Springer and will upgrade the rotation with a couple guys on 1 and 2 year contracts while hoping Kopech , Cease  or Dunning step up under the tutelage of Katz, or perhaps make a trade .

With Springer in the fold that would be a lot every day lineup guys around for a lot of years. Next step is getting some of the young pitchers to the same place the hitters are.  This is the more difficult part because pitchers are more likely to go down with major injuries for longer periods of time. Starting pitchers are going less innings so their need is possibly being minimized and a strong bullpen can be built much cheaper.

Anyway , it's nice to get back to baseball talk and seeing some hope that the Sox will spend.

9 minutes ago, R.J. said:

The lineup would be RH heavy, so, fine. You have to find a couple lefty bench bats to have around. 

The plus with Springer is that he, for his career, actually hits RHP better than LHP (although he hits them both very well, of course). If he is signed, however, I don't think the only LHH (or switch hitters) would be Grandal and Moncada. If they spend so much money on Springer, I doubt they'd also shell out for any FA SP aside from Quintana types. I believe a Springer signing might foreshadow Madrigal being moved in a package for a good SP, and one of Wong/Hernandez/La Stella signed in part to balance things out.

Hard for me to imagine breaking the bank for a RH CF leadoff man who won't play CF nor leadoff for the WS. He is a terrific player who would bring winning energy to our young nucleus but feels a bit like a luxury. Lets hope the plan calls for acquiring (most likely via trade) a difference making pitcher (i.e Darvish, Lynn) in addition to Springer if thats the direction we take. Personally, I'd exhaust all options/resources to acquire pitching help before committing $20M plus on a RF'r but maybe they're not mutually exclusive. 

50 minutes ago, R.J. said:

Springer is the move I want this offseason. The gap between his production and the other options (except Ozuna, but we already saw the Sox pass on him a year ago) is vast. There are no OF bats down on the farm you're blocking. Pounce on him.

Bauer would be great because we all know what happens if you don't have starting pitching in the playoffs, but he could get more than twice the Springer price tag. That's not happening. 

Springer is elite against RHP, so it doesn’t really make much of a difference in the end.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Hard for me to imagine breaking the bank for a RH CF leadoff man who won't play CF nor leadoff for the WS. He is a terrific player who would bring winning energy to our young nucleus but feels a bit like a luxury. Lets hope the plan calls for acquiring (most likely via trade) a difference making pitcher (i.e Darvish, Lynn) in addition to Springer if thats the direction we take. Personally, I'd exhaust all options/resources to acquire pitching help before committing $20M plus on a RF'r but maybe they're not mutually exclusive. 

I posted before you on my theory about going after Springer and you are right ,they aren't mutually exclusive.

When the Sox 1st started the rebuild they went pitcher heavy in their early trades. I think that was because they know with injuries and long development time pitchers are more of a crap shoot.

If hitters are legit they shoot up the ladder pretty fast. Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Madrigal and maybe next Vaughn. Throw in Tim as a late bloomer but still pretty young. Giolito is really, so far, the only SP to work out. For this sustained success to work they still need a Kopech, Dunning , Cease, Lopez, Crochet to make a big leap forward and soon.which is why the Katz hiring is so important.

The Sox would just rather spend the money on hitters because they get a better return on the investment.  In that respect I don't see the Sox signing starting pitching for more than a couple of years. A big trade could still be done for a cost controlled pitcher but we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If they sign Springer, is there a team in the MLB that rivals that lineup?

Honestly, I don’t think so, but depends on what kind of Abreu & Moncada you get.  If MVPito & 2019 Moncada return it would hands down be the best lineup in baseball IMO.  It would also strengthen an already strong defense as well.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Buena Park

Yea just found that out. Crazy.

I’m going to have to go there like once a month now. 😆

Too bad they don’t have Sox games on tv inside. That would be heaven.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Springer is smart because you deal with the offseason you have, not force the one you want to have.

It was pointed out somewhere that Rendon will likely get a contract double the size of Springer and is a very comparable player overall.  Given our massive hole in RF, adding a player of his caliber for anything below 5/$125M is an absolute steal.  Do that, add a couple of B/C tier starters in free agency, and save your chips for the deadline in the event you still need a TOR starter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It was pointed out somewhere that Rendon will likely get a contract double the size of Springer and is a very comparable player overall.  Given our massive hole in RF, adding a player of his caliber for anything below 5/$125M is an absolute steal.  Do that, add a couple of B/C tier starters in free agency, and save your chips for the deadline in the event you still need a TOR starter.

Totally on board with this.

• Like 1