George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

25 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - If you go to Portillo you should also stop at Porto's and get some potato balls and other baked goods.  A few minutes away.  Miss those things - haven't been up that way since COVID.  

Yea Porto’s is amazing. Beyond words amazing.

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This thread has died but seems to me Springer is still a top Sox priority.

Yeah it seems like it too. Let's see what I saw on Twitter the last few hours. The Portillo's/Cishek alliance (if you believe what they say or not) is claiming that Springer is still top choice.  But, we need to sign him by Thanksgiving or chances of signing with us diminish. 

Our own Y2Jimmy is saying Hahn is working hard righr now trying to sign him. And I don't think he meant there is anything imminent. Just working on it.

And one of the national guys (maybe Heyman - sorry forgot) is saying Toronto is going after Springer.

I think that summarizes the afternoon. 

Edited by smellysox

I said it in another thread maybe a month ago, but I maintain the way to lock up Springer early in the process and avoid getting outbid is to get creative with player and/or team options. Think one (or two!) options on a 4 or 5 year deal.

Gives him the certainty of getting paid now when the 2021 outlook and post-CBA world are very much in flux, and gives him an option to bail if he plays himself into a more favorable market in the coming years.

Same goes for someone like Bauer (who likes betting on himself anyway). I think we see more creative contracts this off-season and hope we're leading the charge.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If it’s the White Sox vs The Blue Jays, I like the White Sox chances. 

Scarred forever from statements like this but yes I do like for once being in a favorable environment for salary (currency exchange)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m feeling good about our Springer chances.

Uh oh. Is this the kiss of death? I heard the same thing from you with Machado and Wheeler, and then you were 99% sure we’d hire Hinch when the TLR rumors were really heating up.

(I’m just giving you sh*t...I’m feeling pretty good about it as well)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Is the Sox's interest in Springer anything more than speculation at this point, or have any insiders actually heard anything?

I think he'd be a great fit for the team, and we'd have a really solid outfield, especially offensively.

The only insider that matters says we’re pursuing him aggressively right now.

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Uh oh. Is this the kiss of death? I heard the same thing from you with Machado and Wheeler, and then you were 99% sure we’d hire Hinch when the TLR rumors were really heating up.

(I’m just giving you sh*t...I’m feeling pretty good about it as well)

Just feel optimistic given all the factors at play.  That being said, I’m also assuming the Mets are prioritizing other needs first and if they jump into the mix I’ll be far less optimistic.  I tend to agree with the sentiment that if we don’t sign him by Thanksgiving our chances greatly decrease.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1