George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Just feel optimistic given all the factors at play.  That being said, I’m also assuming the Mets are prioritizing other needs first and if they jump into the mix I’ll be far less optimistic.  I tend to agree with the sentiment that if we don’t sign him by Thanksgiving greatly decrease.

Why is that?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Because I think it signals that Springer is waiting around for a big spender like the Mets and we are much more likely to get topped.  I think an aggressive bid right now is our best chance to land him.

Agreed. Don't play games. If you want him right now, offer 5/$125 mill.

• Like 1

Just now, manbearpuig said:

We saw this exact strategy last year with Grandal & Wheeler.  I think such a strategy would be even more effective this year with a smaller buyer pool and the threat of even more OF options coming available post the non-tender deadline.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We saw this exact strategy last year with Grandal & Wheeler.  I think such a strategy would be even more effective this year with a smaller buyer pool and the threat of even more OF options coming available post the non-tender deadline.

But if the White Sox aren’t confident they can surpass some given payroll number without fans, they may not be willing to offer that number yet. They do have a history of being interested in guys only as long as they can get them at a discount, and they have multiple positions of need. They could have a $75 million offer on the table and be waiting for Springer to come back to them.

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But if the White Sox aren’t confident they can surpass some given payroll number without fans, they may not be willing to offer that number yet. They do have a history of being interested in guys only as long as they can get them at a discount, and they have multiple positions of need. They could have a $75 million offer on the table and be waiting for Springer to come back to them.

Well James thinks they have the financial capability to sign one player not both so we’ll see. I would hope the Sox have learned their lesson from the Machado and Harper sweepstakes by now.

Edited by maloney.adam

46 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I agree also. The Sox apparently have a philosophy of going hard after position players and not wanting to invest big dollars in top line pitchers. I do think that it a pretty sound way of looking at things. Pitchers do break down and go from top of the line to bottom of the trash heap. Hence a smart way of doing business is to stock pile a bunch of quality strong arms along with a few veterans who have a history of being healthy.

So, yeah, I'd go hard after Springer as a first move of the winter. With them they, by far have the best all around line-up in all of baseball. Then fill your pitching rotation with a couple of solid yet affordable guys along with the backlog of young stud high draft picks.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

This year's Machado?  I'm not getting too excited yet.  Looking forward to the month-long b****fest after he goes elsewhere.  

I may be the only person on this board who didn't want the Sox to sign Machado and still think it would have been a bad organizational move. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Didn't he just place 3 in MVP?

Yeah. I am talking about the price that he'd command along with the negative impact in the locker room. I'm more than happy with the guys that the Sox committed to that are in their locker room.