George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

I'd give up Cease for Snell but not for Gray.

The Rays always want to dump contracts.  All the other teams know that and they're not going to give up multiple blue chippers for the guy.  They just won't have to. 

We would have to add more but Cease + Thompson + Collins is enough of a base where maybe you add a smaller 4th piece like a kid like Mena or Yolbert Sanchez or you at most upgrade that 4th piece to Dalquist or Dunning territory, in which case the 4th piece becomes the 2nd piece.  But that's enough, and it's still a lot.  If the Rays wouldn't take it then I don't care.  And I don't think the Sox need to even do that.

If we sign Springer and another pitcher, this team is going to be STACKED anyway.

Honestly, I am really most excited about developing our SP prospects and young MLBers under a new pitching coach and system.  Getting "stuck" with Cease, Kopech, Kelly, Crochet, Stiever, Dunning, Thompson, Dalquist, etc. even to an extent ReyLo with some of the young RP arms we have really isn't a "bad" feeling for me at all.  I really want to see what can be done to get these guys moving forward.  I really cannot honestly remember a time when the Sox had this much SP talent.  I guess it would have had to be late 90s early 2000's but so many of those guys gut hurt and busted that it's hard to even know what we had back then.  But I'd say we have probably the best collection of SP depth we've had since about 2000 or 2001.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I wouldn’t like to be in a bidding war with them. If that’s the case I would shift towards either JBJ or Pederson. 

Right or wrong, I don’t think the national media even believes the Sox are after Springer.  To them, it’s the Mets, Red Sox or Jays.

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

Right or wrong, I don’t think the national media even believes the Sox are after Springer.  To them, it’s the Mets, Red Sox or Jays.

Than again, it’s still early in the offseason. I just don’t believe the rumor about a Thanksgiving deadline for Springer or bust from Not Steve Cishek. These things take a while to play out. 

Edited by maloney.adam

I still don't get the Springer love.  It wasn't our bats that put us out last year, it was pitching after our top 2 guys.  Pitching wins in the end.  I don't think we'll break the bank for Bauer but if taking on a contract like Charlie Blackmon to get Marquez here with 1 piece and some lesser prospects works, then let's do it.  

Madrigal + (not the BIG 3)  for Marquez, Blackmon.    $30 mil per year gets you a lefty bat that plays OF and a TOR starter under control until 2024 instead of a RF that costs $25 mil per and then we have to bargain basement shop for SP or give up the farm.

4 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I still don't get the Springer love.  It wasn't our bats that put us out last year, it was pitching after our top 2 guys.  Pitching wins in the end.  I don't think we'll break the bank for Bauer but if taking on a contract like Charlie Blackmon to get Marquez here with 1 piece and some lesser prospects works, then let's do it.  

Madrigal + (not the BIG 3)  for Marquez, Blackmon.    $30 mil per year gets you a lefty bat that plays OF and a TOR starter under control until 2024 instead of a RF that costs $25 mil per and then we have to bargain basement shop for SP or give up the farm.

Springer makes the Sox a top 3 offense in baseball. Allows them to trade for pitching without wasting 20+ million on Blackmon but instead paying Springer 25 mil + to be way better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Springer makes the Sox a top 3 offense in baseball. Allows them to trade for pitching without wasting 20+ million on Blackmon but instead paying Springer 25 mil + to be way better.

So you feel that we can find another TOR starter without giving up one of the Big 3?  I'm all for Lynn on his short deal if that gives us one more year to see what we have in our youngsters, but I just don;t know where this starter is going to come from unless we just get a #3-4 guy and hope to outslug people.  In the playoffs most of the time pitching wins 

8 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Our bat in RF consistently let us down and as the season wound down our offense slowed up. Having a top 3 offense takes pressure off of your pitchers. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Than again, it’s still early in the offseason. I just don’t believe the rumor about a Thanksgiving deadline for Springer or bust from Not Steve Cishek. These things take a while to play out. 

I don't believe he's saying it's "Thanksgiving or bust." They just prefer to sign him by then.

17 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I would rather sign Bauer but I would not be upset about signing Springer for 5 years. If they dealt Vaughn for a front of the rotation type arm, it would make it easier knowing you at least address a huge hole in the offense.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I would rather sign Bauer but I would not be upset about signing Springer for 5 years. If they dealt Vaughn for a front of the rotation type arm, it would make it easier knowing you at least address a huge hole in the offense.

Agreed.  I wouldn't have an issue with that as long as it wasn't Vaughn AND Kopech or Crochet

14 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I don't think Marquez is ultimately worth the acquisition cost, and its presumptuous to think that Colorado will use his value simply for a salary dump.  With the lack of TOR options on the FA market and the chairman's historical reluctance to pay top dollar for pitching, signing the best available RF and trading for pitching makes the most sense.

3 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Rockies want Vaughn.

If you plug the one hole in the lineup, you can outslug everyone, trade for pitching and then let Gio-Keuchel-Trade Candidate lead the rotation while Dunning and #5 develop

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Outside of the fact that Joc is left handed.  What else does he do that's good.  I look at his stats and don't see anything that says this is a good thing.  

Also strikes me as type of hitter that comes to the Sox and hits .165

• Like 1

Its a simple thing.  Spend the fucking money.  Unless JR thinks that Osiris is going to allow him to take his wealth into the afterlife spend the fucking money.  I dont want to hear how X person is too much money or my god how can they afford it.  Spend the money.  There is zero reason that this is not the place whomever you want can land.  No more tricks, no more deferred deals that are less but in your eyes are more.  Just put cash up and get your man.  

Get Springer and get Bauer.  Use the plethora of golden arms as either bullpen pieces this year or trade chits for other things.  Its time to compete.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2

Joc:

- Hits the ball really hard

- Is a good Right Fielder

- Gets on base (even last year at a 9% clip)

- Most pitchers are RHP and sox already crush LHP

- Won't cost much or preclude sox from adding a better OF later

That's the reason. 

12 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Outside of the fact that Joc is left handed.  What else does he do that's good.  I look at his stats and don't see anything that says this is a good thing.  

Mashes RH pitching (we need), really good OBP and plays fine D. Also would only cost 10-15 a year on a short deal.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin