George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Right or wrong, I don’t think the national media even believes the Sox are after Springer.  To them, it’s the Mets, Red Sox or Jays.

I think issue is sox front office are inherently an optimistic bunch and even if you had a pipeline into hahn you may get the impression that sox are closer than they are, and if you were to hear Mets were all in on trying to get springer with Cohen as owner, you'd assume it happens.

So, I'm not a big "no smoke works in sox favor" guy. Just as likely means we aren't serious bidders though we are in discussions.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Joc:

- Hits the ball really hard

- Is a good Right Fielder

- Gets on base (even last year at a 9% clip)

- Most pitchers are RHP and sox already crush LHP

- Won't cost much or preclude sox from adding a better OF later

That's the reason. 

If he is the RF target and we get say Bauer.  Sure I am all in.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Why is he allergic to money?  If we give the biggest offer he is here.  

1) The white sox do not give the biggest offers. Especially to a premium talent that over half the league would love to acquire.

2) The White Sox organization would very likely be near the bottom of Bauers wish list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

1) The white sox do not give the biggest offers. Especially to a premium talent that over half the league would love to acquire.

2) The White Sox organization would very likely be near the bottom of Bauers wish list.

#1 Okay that is a point of order.

#2 Praytell, why?  My guess is #1 is the most important + an opportunity to win.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

1) I disagree because they offered more money to Wheeler last year than the Phillies.

2) I disagree with this one as well. I think the Sox are interested but they only have the resources to sign either Springer or Bauer. Not both. James clearified this. 

Edited by maloney.adam

5 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Sooooo where do we stand on Springer at this moment? He signing or are people full of shit? 

He’s probably listening to the Sox offers but why wouldn’t he go to the Mets? They offer him a starting spot in his natural position and can offer him the most money. If I were him, wait it out bring the Sox’s best offer to the Mets and tell them to beat it and they probably will

Edited by Rey21

Just now, Rey21 said:

He’s probably listening to the Sox offers but why wouldn’t he go to the Mets? They offer him a starting spot in his natural position and can offer him the most money 

Yep back on the east coast as well. I really would be shocked if he goes anywhere but the Mets (some have suggested in the media he’s their prime target).

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Being a Sox fan, I've learned to not get my hopes up at this point lol

But this isn’t like Manny where we knew for sure they were interested. Believe me, I trust James and others a lot, but we still have no confirmation they’re in on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep back on the east coast as well. I really would be shocked if he goes anywhere but the Mets (some have suggested in the media he’s their prime target).

And let’s be real Uncle Stevie would LOVE nothing more than to stick it to Jerry. I just, off nothing more than feelings and logic, give the Sox about a 20% chance of actually signing Springer. And I truly feel like the LaRussa stuff despite a solid staff really hinders their moves this offseason in free agency. 

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’d be shocked if they add both Realmuto and Springer and I think they prioritize the former.  Honestly, I’d be shocked if we don’t end up with Springer and hopefully within the next ~32 hours.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they add Springer, they have enough money to add some pitching.  It won’t be Bauer unfortunately, but the reality is Reinsdorf probably won’t let them add Bauer anyways.  At least that’s the way I’m operating which is why Springer becomes the next best thing on my list.

Almost everyone on this board thinks if we get Springer we don't get Bauer.  I feel anything is possible.  Not one of us has any idea of what is on Jerry's mind.  The addition of both top free agents would create a marketing bonanza.  We overnight would go from contender to probable favorite.  If JR wants to increase the value of the franchise for his backers...now would be a very good time to make a splash.  That's my take and I'm sticking with it.  Lot's more fun to think positive than the constant talk of what the FO won't do.  

• Like 1