George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

Do we think front offices know whether or not we will have universal DH next year?  Because if it is still "up in the air" I'm not sure we will see much movement on Springer before there is clarity there.  I would think the fallout from this ruling would have some impact on George's market.

27 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Almost everyone on this board thinks if we get Springer we don't get Bauer.  I feel anything is possible.  Not one of us has any idea of what is on Jerry's mind.  The addition of both top free agents would create a marketing bonanza.  We overnight would go from contender to probable favorite.  If JR wants to increase the value of the franchise for his backers...now would be a very good time to make a splash.  That's my take and I'm sticking with it.  Lot's more fun to think positive than the constant talk of what the FO won't do.  

They won’t sign both. There’s a better chance Madrigal hits 20 homers in a season.

17 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Do we think front offices know whether or not we will have universal DH next year?  Because if it is still "up in the air" I'm not sure we will see much movement on Springer before there is clarity there.  I would think the fallout from this ruling would have some impact on George's market.

It’s a possibility but more likely things will pick up after the non tender deadline. 

Edited by maloney.adam

26 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I think it is confirmed, I thought last year's deal covered DH through 2021.

20 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

He is getting paid so his market is very limited. I don’t think the DH in the NL really matters too much. Not a lot of teams will spend that kind of money on 1 player this winter.  

I still think their offense is fine, and they would be better off spending the big bucks on pitching, and getting someone else to play RF. In the winter of 1996, the Sox signed Albert Belle. It was great for the offense, which was missing Robin Ventura for a while, but the team went down a tier on the pitching end and wound up with Jaime Navarro as its opening day starter. That and Terry Bevington managing made a team with perhaps the two biggest offensive forces in baseball a pretty boring team to watch.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He is getting paid so his market is very limited. I don’t think the DH in the NL really matters too much. Not a lot of teams will spend that kind of money on 1 player this winter.  

I still think their offense is fine, and they would be better off spending the big bucks on pitching, and getting someone else to play RF. In the winter of 1996, the Sox signed Albert Belle. It was great for the offense, which was missing Robin Ventura for a while, but the team went down a tier on the pitching end and wound up with Jaime Navarro as its opening day starter. That and Terry Bevington managing made a team with perhaps the two biggest offensive forces in baseball a pretty boring team to watch.

Wouldn't a depressed RF market impact our front office's opinion on where to spend?  Or where to save? 

Many of the available corner outfielders *could* play RF but they'd be best suited spending some or most of their time at DH.   No universal DH would seemingly negatively impact their market, which could easily affect Springer's market.  

I mean just look at it from the Sox' perspective:

If (Ozuna/Bradley/Joc etc) gets a 1 year deal, maybe you go with him and spend the extra Springer money elsewhere...  but if there is a Universal DH maybe (insert player here) now costs double and then you decide there is no value there so you might as well just pay up for the perfect fit in Springer.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I want Springer to sign with us quickly, but if he has other suitors I'm not sure it makes sense for him to sign early. Yasmani was different because we were likely his best offer. 

Springer would be smart to just wait on the Mets. That’s his best case scenario, they have the money, offer him the chance to play his natural position, a chance to win (yes the Mets have a chance to win). I just don’t see Jerry doing everything it takes to secure Springer. He’s gonna go to the Mets, makes too much sense for him. 

15 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Springer would be smart to just wait on the Mets. That’s his best case scenario, they have the money, offer him the chance to play his natural position, a chance to win (yes the Mets have a chance to win). I just don’t see Jerry doing everything it takes to secure Springer. He’s gonna go to the Mets, makes too much sense for him. 

Yeah except that the Mets have a full outfield. Their top 2 priorities are pitching and catching.  Bauer and Realmuto. After that -  relief help. Just don't see Springer as a top priority there.

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Yeah except that the Mets have a full outfield. Their top 2 priorities are pitching and catching.  Bauer and Realmuto. After that -  relief help. Just don't see Springer as a top priority there.

The Blue Jays, however, are after him.

3 minutes ago, smellysox said:

They don’t have and haven’t had a natural CF since Carlos Beltran. 

2 minutes ago, smellysox said:

The Blue Jays, however, are after him.

Red Sox are supposedly very involved