George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really believe They're going to have to go over $100m to get Springer signed. I'm kinda surprised they haven't offered that yet.  Maybe a 5th yr too.

Edited by smellysox

12 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I really believe They're going to have to go over $100m to get him signed. I'm kinda surprised they haven't offered that yet.  Maybe a 5th yr too.

Why would, according to Portillo's,  it matter that Boras is his agent? Arb takes the agent out of the equation. 

5 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

This is a dumb take. Sox aren’t giving up Thompson/Dalquist for Bryant. And if the Cubs decide to pay a significant amount they’d be better off keeping him and flipping him at the deadline. Makes no sense. 

It seems like most of his takes are ill-conceived attempts at throwing names/hypothetical trades/signings on the wall. If you go back through previous posts my guess is well over a dozen, some with 'insider details' as though he is a party to the convos. Good for igniting soxtalk discussion I suppose.

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

I really believe They're going to have to go over $100m to get Springer signed. I'm kinda surprised they haven't offered that yet.  Maybe a 5th yr too.

I fully expect Springer to get at least 5/$110M and potentially up to 5/$125M.  If these numbers are real, then either the Sox aren’t being nearly as aggressive as these “insiders” have implied or the Sox are once again going the cheap route a la Machado.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, oldsox said:

5 years is too long for Springer.

eh, as long as hit bat/obp still plays, we have the DH spot if his D starts regressing that badly.  how long will Abreu be here?  I mean, if you expect Vaughn/Abreu to lock down 1B/DH for the next 5 years, then I would agree that 5 years is too long for Springer.  If they do end up trading Vaughn, then I would backtrack on that

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I fully expect Springer to get at least 5/$110M and potentially up to 5/$125M.  If these numbers are real, then either the Sox aren’t being nearly as aggressive as these “insiders” have implied or the Sox are once again going the cheap route a la Machado.

That's exactly what this reminds me of. If I were Springer or his agent I would so wait or encourage him to wait it out. With the sox history of being cheap.  I bet there's a team or two circling us right now like vultures. I'm not giving up yet. But this is the kind of thing that really makes being a sox fan difficult. Sox fans we are a special breed! Enduring pain, suffering, and low to below average payrolls. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smellysox said:

If you believe Al's cheesy beef or not - he just reported that the Blue Jays have progressed beyond just talking and are closer than they were.

Edit: you beat me to it!

The Jays report is out there, it’s not Als reporting.