George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

19 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Don’t get your hopes up man. I know it’s easy to being a Sox fan but there are other options out there. They can still have a good offseason without signing the top two guys. Anyways, look at all those teams that have won World Series titles recently. Except maybe for the Dodgers, if you notice a lot of those teams weren’t stacked with all-stars after all-stars. Signing the top free agents may look pretty on paper but that’s not what really wins championships. We have some stars already on the team anyways, we just need to fill it in with some pitching and depth.

For sure the offseason can still be successful, but the disappointment will be from not getting the big fish again and the work that will need to be done to get a legit pitcher. If we don't sign Bauer or Springer we will have to trade for a pitcher, which I don't want to do. On top of that we will be signing Joc or JBJ, two huge downgrades from Springer. If we were to sign Springer, I'd feel a lot better about trading for a pitcher. 

• Thanks 1

Toronto will have to overpay due to funky Ontario taxes, correct? I wonder if Springer and Agent are comparing a higher Blue Jays offer and what it REALLY is after all the number crunching compared to a lower offer stateside from the Sox or other mystery teams. It always seems like FA signings in Toronto get complicated. 

Side question. With Covid still out there...will Toronto be in Buffalo again next season? Does that make them less desirable even though that smooths the money weirdness. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Every year since 2015 we’ve done this dance where there was no prominent connections to a big free agent to the white Sox but soxtalk still gets hyped due to some insider gossip.

The Sox being interested in someone means very little. They will never sign an A free agent even if their front office tries very hard. Even if they are optimistic.

The problem will always be other teams exist and also want top free agents.

And are actually willing to pay.

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Toronto will have to overpay due to funky Ontario taxes, correct? I wonder if Springer and Agent are comparing a higher Blue Jays offer and what it REALLY is after all the number crunching compared to a lower offer stateside from the Sox or other mystery teams. It always seems like FA signings in Toronto get complicated. 

That’s a good point and has been mentioned on here before. 

Edited by maloney.adam

It's all conjecture ... these reporters and agents and everybody involved have a job to do. Agents want to float rumors so they can build demand and a hopefully a higher price tag. they use reporters who run on clicks & are more than happy to try and start a conversation & keep their own jobs. It's all meh. I can make these rumors up as good as a cheesy beef ... oh look, these teams need an OF and are willing to spend this year. Rumor Mill! Sox, Mets, Jays, etc. are going after Springer, and if they don't get him JBJ and Pederson are good shots. That's not a rumor... its connecting dots. 

I've been wrong before, but we're not getting Springer or Bauer. I actually think both have a decent shot of going to the Mets. That would be my bet. Sox will end up with Joc Pederson. We all know it, we just don't want to admit it. He's your platoon guy, who will play mostly RF but will bounce around the OF, he has a chance to hit 40 dingers, etc. we'll all convince ourselves after the signing its a good one. 

We'll add a James Paxton or the likes -- someone who once was really good, and if you squint, maybe can be good again on a 1-2 year deal and we'll call it an offseason. There's a chance we do some big trade ... but theres little to no chance we sign Bauer, Springer or anybody actually good.  Someone can quote me on that 

Edited by BrianAnderson
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

It's all conjecture ... these reporters and agents and everybody involved have a job to do. Agents want to float rumors so they can build demand and a hopefully a higher price tag. they use reporters who run on clicks & are more than happy to try and start a conversation & keep their own jobs. It's all meh. I can make these rumors up as good as a cheesy beef ... oh look, these teams need an OF and are willing to spend this year. Rumor Mill! Sox, Mets, Jays, etc. are going after Springer, and if they don't get him JBJ and Pederson are good shots. That's not a rumor... its connecting dots. 

I've been wrong before, but we're not getting Springer or Bauer. I actually think both have a decent shot of going to the Mets. That would be my bet. Sox will end up with Joc Pederson. We all know it, we just don't want to admit it. He's your platoon guy, who will play mostly RF but will bounce around the OF, he has a chance to hit 40 dingers, etc. we'll all convince ourselves after the signing its a good one. 

We'll add a James Paxton or the likes -- someone who once was really good, and if you squint, maybe can be good again on a 1-2 year deal and we'll call it an offseason. There's a chance we do some big trade ... but theres little to no chance we sign Bauer, Springer or anybody actually good.  Someone can quote me on that 

Your right this happens every year and the fanbase is being dragged along with it. Once the organization figures out how to beat the system for the top free agents this is going to happen next year and the year after that and the year after that. 

Edited by maloney.adam

My take...1) 50/50 chance re: Bauer...just don't see too much competition at $25M plus. 2) Less sanguine on Springer, mostly because it feels like he will sign soon and I can't see JR being an early mover on big FA signing. Too much Covid/revenue uncertainty. 3) Can't see Pederson leaving the west coast for the southside. My sense is we'll find a strong side complement to Engel through waiver or trade vs. pay someone like JBJ $10M ish (would love Tauchman from NYY). 4) If no Bauer, my guuess is Lynn trade. In addition to Lynn, would love to get Darvish but Cubs still need to field a team, including a full rotation which will be further depleted if Lester moves on. 

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

My take...1) 50/50 chance re: Bauer...just don't see too much competition at $25M plus. 2) Less sanguine on Springer, mostly because it feels like he will sign soon and I can't see JR being an early mover on big FA signing. Too much Covid/revenue uncertainty. 3) Can't see Pederson leaving the west coast for the southside. My sense is we'll find a strong side complement to Engel through waiver or trade vs. pay someone like JBJ $10M ish (would love Tauchman from NYY). 4) If no Bauer, my guuess is Lynn trade. In addition to Lynn, would love to get Darvish but Cubs still need to field a team, including a full rotation which will be further depleted if Lester moves on. 

Some believe we’re going to spend this offseason but in what capacity though is the question?

Edited by maloney.adam

The Mets don't really even have a baseball ops team in place that they plan on being in place going forward; it would be odd for Cohen to let these guys splurge and then show them the door. I think the Mets aggressiveness - at least this off-season - is being overblown.

That said, hopefully things start moving tomorrow following the tender deadline. I am not hopeful though. I still am not sold that Reinsdorf is going to spend while his friends sit on their hand and cry poor. That's just not Jerry's MO; he usually leads the charge when it comes to collusion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Mets don't really even have a baseball ops team in place that they plan on being in place going forward; it would be odd for Cohen to let these guys splurge and then show them the door. I think the Mets aggressiveness - at least this off-season - is being overblown.

That said, hopefully things start moving tomorrow following the tender deadline. I am not hopeful though. I still am not sold that Reinsdorf is going to spend while his friends sit on their hand and cry poor. That's just not Jerry's MO; he usually leads the charge when it comes to collusion.

Didn't he already comment on the losses from this past season? I'm afraid his big move (at least in his eyes) will be bringing his buddy out retirement to manage this team.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Alderson's recent comments have indicated he is not there just to build it out, he is in charge and going to be active as a baseball prez and that's why they are closer to moving on players than people think.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Alderson's recent comments have indicated he is not there just to build it out, he is in charge and going to be active as a baseball prez and that's why they are closer to moving on players than people think.

I read a report yesterday that the front office is a disaster right now with endless infighting with no true leadership in place. Everyone is just trying to prove their worth before they're shown the door.

edit: ehh, read it without the "summary" on twitter and it moreso is saying the Mets are having a hard time attracting anyone to take these jobs in the front office and are going to go into the off-season with nothing in place.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I read a report yesterday that the entire front office is a disaster right now with endless infighting with no true leadership in place. Everyone is just trying to prove their worth before they're shown the door.

Endless infighting among who? Their top execs were all cleared out, Alderson is in place. When he was installed he initially said he was going to interview for a prez of baseball ops and then went back and said that would be him. So clearly they have a decision maker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Y2Jimmy0 in this case but what I get worried about is how everyone thought the Padres interest in Machado was posturing by his agent and the Phillies interest in Wheeler was posturing and we see how that went. We believed that the La Russa stuff was Hahn in stealth mode and then bam he’s our manager.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Side question. With Covid still out there...will Toronto be in Buffalo again next season? Does that make them less desirable even though that smooths the money weirdness. 

You can bet the other competitors are doing the math for them.

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I agree with @Y2Jimmy0 in this case but what I get worried about is how everyone thought the Padres interest in Machado was posturing by his agent and the Phillies interest in Wheeler was posturing and we see how that went. We believed that the La Russa stuff was Hahn in stealth mode and then bam he’s our manager.

At the end of the day, all the “posturing” and “stealth mode” BS people claim that the Sox do every single offseason doesn’t mean a damn thing if Jerry isn’t willing to open up the checkbook for the elite free agents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

The bigger headache tends to be the currency exchange.

The Sox are going to say oh well we pushed really hard for the top free agents but we feel good about our chances by staying pat and with what we have in house. We just don’t have the money like Steve Cohen has. Same old adage that we will hear but with a twist. I hope I’m wrong though. Lol

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1