George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

If the sox would just come out and say we're not going to spend because we're cheap. I would at least respect the honesty even though I think it's bs.  Instead it's the same old song and dance year after year.   So insulting the crap they feed, as if the fanbase is stupid.   Hopefully they do something.  Their payroll wasn't high last year.  Or the few previous years before that towards the bottom of the league.    The crying broke dosen't add up sorry.  Again let's see what happens.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

If the sox would just come out and say we're not going to spend because we're cheap. I would at least respect the honesty even though I think it's bs.  Instead it's the same old song and dance year after year.   So insulting the crap they feed, as if the fanbase is stupid.   Hopefully they do something.  Their payroll wasn't high last year.  Or the few previous years before that towards the bottom of the league.    The crying broke dosen't add up sorry.  Again let's see what happens.  

^^^^^^^^^^

Then we can proceed to rip them a new asshole for not operating like the A's and Rays. 

They convey to their fanbase that they're an upper tier mid-market club but they continually act like a small market club. 

Nobody's pretending that they're in the Yankees/Sawx/Dodgers/Cubs/Mets(now) tier but they're supposed to be in the Angels/Giants/Cardinals tier but they won't even go that far. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^^^^^^^^

Then we can proceed to rip them a new asshole for not operating like the A's and Rays. 

They convey to their fanbase that they're an upper tier mid-market club but they continually act like a small market club. 

Nobody's pretending that they're in the Yankees/Sawx/Dodgers/Cubs/Mets(now) tier but they're supposed to be in the Angels/Giants/Cardinals tier but they won't even go that far. 

So spot on . Myself like others on here have been saying the same thing for years now.    I believe they are starting to come out of the dark ages.  The last few drafts have been encouraging. They still have a ways to go through.  Hiring the old drunk proves that. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sox80 said:

So spot on . Myself like others on here have been saying the same thing for years now.    I believe they are starting to come out of the dark ages.  The last few drafts have been encouraging. They still have a ways to go through.  Hiring the old drunk proves that. 

What frustrates me is that they're incredibly unwilling to take a risk in FA to land a top talent. 

They're more than willing to take the risk on their players, but they won't do it with players from outside the organization. I don't understand why. Sp

The other thing is that when they do go to free agency they do it a bit stupidly, spreading the money around on 5-6 Tier B/C FA rather than on 1 Tier A guy and 2 tier B guys. 

Even Keuchel and Grandal are fine. They're both tier B guys. Now they need that one tier A guy to put them over the top. It might not be this offseason, and that's fine.....but if they don't do it next year, there's going to be a lot of angst from the fanbase. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

I saw some information today that said that all these leaks that are coming out through the Blue Jays may be the agent trying to posture or drive up the price for other suitors. However, it was coming from that MLB burner account that is fake so I’m not taking too much stock into it. @Y2Jimmy0also mentioned earlier to be careful how seriously we take the public reports so we’ll see what happens. I’m still not expecting anything. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

No. Status quo around here is to act like the sky is falling.

I don't think the sky is falling.  That's why I said let's see what happens. That said there is a proven history that supports the negative thinking on here.  Like I said let's see what happens.  I do love this team regardless. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Orlando said:

I agree with @Y2Jimmy0 in this case but what I get worried about is how everyone thought the Padres interest in Machado was posturing by his agent and the Phillies interest in Wheeler was posturing and we see how that went. We believed that the La Russa stuff was Hahn in stealth mode and then bam he’s our manager.

I never for a second believed the LaRussa stuff was part of some PR plan. I called out several posters on it and Rabbit when he tweeted it.

2 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Here’s a random thought: let’s say the Reds are willing to trade Castellanos to get out of his salary. Do you trade a third tier prospect to take on his contract?

I don't particularly want to commit to having Eloy and Castellanos in the same OF for the foreseeable future. Nope from me. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Here’s a random thought: let’s say the Reds are willing to trade Castellanos to get out of his salary. Do you trade a third tier prospect to take on his contract?

People were thinking his numbers would improve when he moved to a better hitters park. He had a few more HR, but all his other numbers plummeted. Are we looking at a bad luck situation last year for him or are we looking at a legit dropoff?

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

People were thinking his numbers would improve when he moved to a better hitters park. He had a few more HR, but all his other numbers plummeted. Are we looking at a bad luck situation last year for him or are we looking at a legit dropoff?

I think the vast majority of players performances from this season could be chalked up to a bit of bad luck given the circumstances. Doesn't mean I want the Sox to absorb that contract, but I would be very surprised is Castellanos is a .225 hitting moving forward. If the power evaporated, that's when I would start getting a * little * concerned.