George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Time to move on. The guy obviously wants to play closer to home. Also, it would be taking up a spot eventually if Colas or Cespedes signs so I would prefer someone else as a short term solution. 

Couple things: 1. neither of those guys are currently in the organization, 2. neither of those guys are guaranteed to be stars, even guaranteed MLBers for that matter as of now and 3. you could move Eloy to DH in a couple years which would free up an OF, if it were to become an issue (this would be a great problem to have).

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Couple things: 1. neither of those guys are currently in the organization, 2. neither of those guys are guaranteed to be stars, even guaranteed MLBers for that matter as of now and 3. you could move Eloy to DH in a couple years which would free up an OF, if it were to become an issue (this would be a great problem) to have.

I didn’t say those guys are currently in the organization. I said if they sign. That’s the key word, “If.” Nothing is guaranteed, I understand that but we need to capitalize more on those opportunities internationally because it has worked for us so far with Robert and Abreu. I agree with moving Eloy to DH and it will free up one of the OF positions but thats a discussion for the future when Vaughn moves to 1st base.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

You seem to always disagree with everything I have to say on here. I understand you have your opinion but I have mine as well. This is a message board. 

Dude you have thin skin. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Dude you have thin skin. 

Yes I admit I’m very sensitive. Doesn’t mean though that I don’t have a right to my own opinion and can’t say what’s on my mind. Ok, putting all that aside let’s be realistic here. Do you really think the Sox are going to sign Springer? They don’t have a very good success rate of signing top flight free agents. That’s not to say they haven’t signed any in the past and will now or in the future but you have to look at this logically but some people here get all excited when a top name is mentioned as a possibility for the Sox and they are in on him but than get disappointed when they aren’t signed. This happens every year. I want Springer as much as anyone here does but I’m not expecting it or thinking that he’s automatically coming to the Sox. I hope I’m wrong and he comes here.

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yes I admit I’m very sensitive. Doesn’t mean though that I don’t have a right to my own opinion and can’t say what’s on my mind. Ok, putting all that aside let’s be realistic here. Do you really think the Sox are going to sign Springer? They don’t have a very good success rate of signing top flight free agents. That’s not to say they haven’t signed any in the past and will now or in the future but you have to look logically this but people here get all excited when a top name is mentioned as a possibility for the Sox and they are in on him but than get disappointed when they aren’t signed. This happens every year. I want Springer as much as anyone here does but I’m not expecting it or thinking that he’s automatically coming to the Sox. 

there's a chance

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

You really believe this guy? Lol

It's not so much about believing this guy (or the other food-related Twitter accounts), it's pretty much common knowledge that those three teams are in the hunt for Springer.  And, there's a good chance the teams that miss out on Springer will look at JBJ.

I think the Sox have a chance to sign Springer, especially if they offer a 5th year.  They showed last year that they're not afraid to offer big contracts (Wheeler), and Springer is a damn near perfect fit for this team.  If Springer signs elsewhere, we'll find out that the Sox put an offer out there that was really competitive.

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It's not so much about believing this guy (or the other food-related Twitter accounts), it's pretty much common knowledge that those three teams are in the hunt for Springer.  And, there's a good chance the teams that miss out on Springer will look at JBJ.

I think the Sox have a chance to sign Springer, especially if they offer a 5th year.  They showed last year that they're not afraid to offer big contracts (Wheeler), and Springer is a damn near perfect fit for this team.  If Springer signs elsewhere, we'll find out that the Sox put an offer out there that was really competitive.

I hope your right. I would be pretty mad though if the Sox offer ends up being higher than the other offers but he decides to go elsewhere because of geographical reasons.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, fathom said:

If Morosi really did talk to a source close to Springer who said he’s giving serious thought to playing in Toronto, shouldn’t we be concerned that Morosi then didn’t list the WSox as being involved?

Yep. I'm not feeling to confident about Springer, but money typically wins. Just as long as we get one of Springer and Bauer and it's fine. If we get neither it will be a disappointment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. I'm not feeling to confident about Springer, but money typically wins. Just as long as we get one of Springer and Bauer and it's fine. If we get neither it will be a disappointment. 

Prepare to be disappointed, IMO. However they can still have a very strong offseason.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Don’t get your hopes up man. I know it’s easy to being a Sox fan but there are other options out there. They can still have a good offseason without signing the top two guys. Anyways, look at all those teams that have won World Series titles recently. Except maybe for the Dodgers, if you notice a lot of those teams weren’t stacked with all-stars after all-stars. Signing the top free agents may look pretty on paper but that’s not what really wins championships. We have some stars already on the team anyways, we just need to fill it in with some pitching and depth.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'll say this: agents are leaking the Mets and Jays as suitors for everyone like crazy. Be careful how seriously you take public reports. 

It makes a lot of sense as well. One has a new owner that wants to spend, the other is a team on the rise. I'd imagine that tying those teams to specific players should help their value on the market.

Every year since 2015 we’ve done this dance where there was no prominent connections to a big free agent to the white Sox but soxtalk still gets hyped due to some insider gossip.

The Sox being interested in someone means very little. They will never sign an A free agent even if their front office tries very hard. Even if they are optimistic.

The problem will always be other teams exist and also want top free agents.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

It makes a lot of sense as well. One has a new owner that wants to spend, the other is a team on the rise. I'd imagine that tying those teams to specific players should help their value on the market.

That's definitely true. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mets actually spend alot this winter.