George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

25 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

How would team rivals know if we aren't spending unless we told them? And if we told them, why would we do that? 

Springer already has an offer from us right? So they go to another team like the Blue Jays or the Mets and his agent asks can you beat this. The other teams have the numbers we offered so they spout it to the media but in reality their assumption may be totally way off because we can still  Go out and spend without directly telling them. Like James said the other day, don’t take seriously public reports. It could be smoke/posturing from the agent because they have multiple clients they are working with at the same time, etc. to try to get deals done or it’s something else. Really it’s all a game.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Springer already has an offer from us so they go to another team like the Blue Jays or the Mets and the agent says can you beat this. The other team has the numbers we offered them so they spout it to the media.

A source close to Springer didn’t even say the WSox were in on him the other day, according to Morosi I believe 

If that’s the case than Springer will get less than 100mil? He’s not worth the 200mil range. That would be considered an overpay and if there are teams closely offering that much for him than the Sox would be smart to pivot away from him. 

Edited by maloney.adam

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think there’s a chance that Trevor Bauer and JT Realmuto are the only players who will get $100 million this offseason. So in that case, Jesse might be right. 

But did Jesse mean 100/200 million or the top tier guys?  I was under the impression he was referring more to the top guys.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

But did Jesse mean 100/200 million or the top tier guys?  I was under the impression he was referring more to the top guys.

If you go back and read the tweet again, he doesn’t mention anything about us not being in with the top guys, only that the Sox aren’t offering in that price range.

Edited by maloney.adam

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If you go back and read the tweet again, he doesn’t mention anything about us not being in with the top guys, only that the Sox aren’t offering in that price range.

He said they’re playing at tiers below the deep end. That would mean not the top guys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

He said they’re playing at tiers below the deep end. That would mean not the top guys.

I mean that’s partly true. I know they’ve offered Springer. I have no idea whether they get him. If they don’t though, they’ll be spending in the next tier because there really isn’t a first tier at that point. 

• Like 3

In theory, if the choice is to either spend the money all on the 2nd tier FAs while keeping the prospects and not making any significant trades to fill holes, or sign one marquee FA that eats up the budget and then resort to depleting the farm in trades to fill the other holes, I would much rather sign all second-tier FAs and keep the prospects.

Ideally we would just sign Springer, Bauer, Colome, and add another RP.  But we won't do that, and we probably wouldn't add more than a couple million on top of signing a marquee FA.  

So sign me up for Tanaka/Paxton + Joc + Colome + additional RP and I will be okay with that, knowing we're not dumping quality prospects.  That would make Cease the #4 and Dunning the #5 but I am just fine with developing those guys.

18 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

If that is true, then offer another year, a little more money, 5th year option with like a $5mill buyout to increase guaranteed money, etc.

Yes, it’s quite possible that the Blue Jays or the Mets are at 4/97 or 4/98 million so if we did that, it would be pretty creative and beat both of those offers. I guess we’ll find out soon enough. 

Edited by maloney.adam

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

In theory, if the choice is to either spend the money all on the 2nd tier FAs while keeping the prospects and not making any significant trades to fill holes, or sign one marquee FA that eats up the budget and then resort to depleting the farm in trades to fill the other holes, I would much rather sign all second-tier FAs and keep the prospects.

Ideally we would just sign Springer, Bauer, Colome, and add another RP.  But we won't do that, and we probably wouldn't add more than a couple million on top of signing a marquee FA.  

So sign me up for Tanaka/Paxton + Joc + Colome + additional RP and I will be okay with that, knowing we're not dumping quality prospects.  That would make Cease the #4 and Dunning the #5 but I am just fine with developing those guys.

Tanaka is a ticking time bomb...you know that, right? He's been pitching with a partially torn UCL for 3 years. Eventually that thing is going to go. Out of all of the pitchers on the market, he's the most risky. Unless it's a team flush with cash I don't see him getting a lot of multi-year offers.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Tanaka is a ticking time bomb...you know that, right? He's been pitching with a partially torn UCL for 3 years. Eventually that thing is going to go. Out of all of the pitchers on the market, he's the most risky. Unless it's a team flush with cash I don't see him getting a lot of multi-year offers.  

I only want Tanaka for one year anyway, same with Paxton

These 2 have the best ability to dominate a lineup.  We should be looking for a playoff Game 2 starter here first, not some guy who eats innings and who we really want to slot 4th in a playoff rotation (like Q).  

If our prospects develop we only need to fill 1-2 holes in 2021, then 0-1 holes in 2022.  Do what the Braves are doing and go year to year, but bring in some upside.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

Springer already has an offer from us right? So they go to another team like the Blue Jays or the Mets and his agent asks can you beat this. The other teams have the numbers we offered so they spout it to the media but in reality their assumption may be totally way off because we can still  Go out and spend without directly telling them. Like James said the other day, don’t take seriously public reports. It could be smoke/posturing from the agent because they have multiple clients they are working with at the same time, etc. to try to get deals done or it’s something else. Really it’s all a game.

Yeah but they are saying we won't play at the deep end. An initial low offer doesn't mean we won't go higher or spend money. 

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I only want Tanaka for one year anyway, same with Paxton

These 2 have the best ability to dominate a lineup.  We should be looking for a playoff Game 2 starter here first, not some guy who eats innings and who we really want to slot 4th in a playoff rotation (like Q).  

If our prospects develop we only need to fill 1-2 holes in 2021, then 0-1 holes in 2022.  Do what the Braves are doing and go year to year, but bring in some upside.

If they land Colas, he can play RF, and rakes in the minors, that changes a lot. 

• Fire 1