George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm an idiot and naive for actually believing that the local and national governments would put public health over the ability for insanely wealthy people to make money. Shame on me. 

We shouldn't be playing sports right now. Sports are a reward for a functioning society. 

Then stop discussing sports. Go volunteer to save the world. You're happy to blame the insanely wealthy for sports being played but happy to sit on a computer discussing those sports daily. Interesting.

47 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This team might win the fucking American League without additions and I feel like everyone is mad. It’s absolutely absurd.

First time I have to laugh at a post of yours. 

There is good reason for people to be mad. Don't know why you would play stupid here.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

What did they put out there?

Anything regarding an A level FA talent is bullshit until proven otherwise. Someone in baseball either enjoys fucking with Sox fans or its coming from the org because they think we're suckers. I think the latter. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I feel for guys like CWS and KrankinSox that actually believe the rumors that the Sox are going to spend at the top of the market each and every winter. 

My approach is to treat all of it as bullshit until either the ink is dry or they sign elsewhere. 

Remember what David Samson said about the carrot? That's what they do to the fanbase each and every winter. 

The difference this time around is the top of the market isn’t that crazy.  Springer at 5/$125M is not in the same stratosphere as Machado & Harper’s deals.  I think it’s clear now that Jerry won’t allow his front office to go the distance for a young elite free agent, but zero reason we can’t offer another Wheeler sized contract to a slightly older positional guy.  As for Bauer, I just don’t know how teams view him given his uneven track record and bizarre personality.  He’s not getting Gerrit Cole money regardless and only the Mets could drive his price to somewhat insane levels.  If the market held him down to say 5/$150M, I honestly think that’s something Jerry might be willing do.  All that being said, I’m far more optimistic on a Springer signing than a Bauer addition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Then stop discussing sports. Go volunteer to save the world. You're happy to blame the insanely wealthy for sports being played but happy to sit on a computer discussing those sports daily. Interesting.

I feel bad for watching football because I know what those guys are doing to themselves. It's the same thing. I choose to have cognitive dissonance because I enjoy consuming sports. I barely watch TV that isn't sports related. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're only an idiot and an abuse victim if you fall for the bullshit they put out there every winter and July. 

I don't fall for it but hope for the best. Sometimes that's enough for me like in the off season. Sometimes it isn't like during the season. I totally wanted Lynn at the trade deadline because was hoping we'd have him for 2 playoffs. It didn't happen and I got over it in short time. ANd most people are generally optimistic here like thinking Vaughn can be a major contributer next year , Oscar Colas not only will be signed but be ready to play RF in short order  or me thinking EE was a bad idea and hoping Yermin got a shot. Fantasy land is a good place every so often when you know most of what you want to happen aint happenin'.

Anyway this thread is derailed and I've contributed to that so I'll stop.

We all want the same thing: the sox to win. Obviously we have different outlooks on their willingness to make that a reality for the fans. But at the end of the day, we just want a winner so no reason to be at eachother throats. 

Hopefully the ball gets rolling on Springer and some legit rumors start being floated.

Edited by KrankinSox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The difference this time around is the top of the market isn’t that crazy.  Springer at 5/$125M is not in the same stratosphere as Machado & Harper’s deals.  I think it’s clear now that Jerry won’t allow his front office to go the distance for a young elite free agent, but zero reason we can’t offer another Wheeler sized contract to a slightly older positional guy.  As for Bauer, I just don’t know how teams view him given his uneven track record and bizarre personality.  He’s not getting Gerrit Cole money regardless and only the Mets could drive his price to somewhat insane levels.  If the market held him down to say 5/$150M, I honestly think that’s something Jerry might be willing do.  All that being said, I’m far more optimistic on a Springer signing than a Bauer addition.

I'm convinced Jerry doesn't ever want to set the market. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't fall for it but hope for the best. Sometimes that's enough for me like in the off season. Sometimes it isn't like during the season. I totally wanted Lynn at the trade deadline because was hoping we'd have him for 2 playoffs. It didn't happen and I got over it in short time. ANd most people are generally optimistic here like thinking Vaughn can be a major contributer next year , Oscar Colas not only will be signed but be ready to play RF in short order  or me thinking EE was a bad idea and hoping Yermin got a shot. Fantasy land is a good place every so often when you know most of what you want to happen aint happenin'.

Obviously there are some people here who will never stop falling for it.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Grandal wasn’t an A level talent?

an A level talent is one that costs 9 figures and is universally lauded as one of the best in the game. Grandal is the largest FA contract in the history of the team. They've never gone to 9 figures....ever and actually finished a deal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I can't believe people are still crying about Machado and Wheeler. Makes no sense to devote close to 25% of payroll to Machado when you have two all star caliber players on the left side of the infield already, and the Sox signed a superior pitcher for significantly less than what Wheeler signed. Continuing to escalate the price for Wheeler when Keuchel was available at his price would have been the wrong move.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

I can't believe people are still crying about Machado and Wheeler. Makes no sense to devote close to 25% of payroll to Machado when you have two all star caliber players on the left side of the infield already, and the Sox signed a superior pitcher for significantly less than what Wheeler signed. Continuing to escalate the price for Wheeler when Keuchel was available at his price would have been the wrong move.

Moncada and Anderson weren’t anywhere near as established and highly thought of during the 18-19 offseason as they are now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

First time I have to laugh at a post of yours. 

There is good reason for people to be mad. Don't know why you would play stupid here.

What are the reasons to be mad? What free agents have Sox missed on so far this offseason? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Vulture said:

Machado may have worked out in hindsight, but it’s a bit too early to call Keuchel the “superior” pitcher.  That being said, I don’t blame the Sox for not going above 5/$125M.

Just now, Vulture said:

Correct. Any additional Wheeler dollars would have been bidding against themselves. The Sox set the market but Wheeler wanted east coast. Furthering your bid to pay a "mid west tax" when there were other, cheaper options available would have been terrible business.

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

Obviously there are some people here who will never stop falling for it.

Nah its just called hope and I think the majority of people you think are falling for it don't really care enough to be devastated, (temporarily upset, yes) when things go sour. It's not life or death , we aren't getting fooled here but we all can't be grouches.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What are the reasons to be mad? What free agents have Sox missed on so far this offseason? 

Wow, really?

None yet. But we're going to. We always do. Again, how many times does the boy have to cry wolf for some people to get it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

an A level talent is one that costs 9 figures and is universally panned as one of the best in the game. Grandal is the largest FA contract in the history of the team. They've never gone to 9 figures....ever and actually finished a deal. 

Just so you know Jack, you cannot be "panned" as one of the best in the game since panned means "criticized">

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

I don't actually believe that the Sox went to 5/125 for Wheeler and I don't actually believe that the Sox went to 8/250 with 2 team options for Machado, or at least they didn't do it until his agent already had the $300M offer from San Diego. My belief is that the 7/175 offer that Bruuuuuce was reporting was the offer on the table to Machado until San Diego came in and offered $300M. Then they had to make an offer they 100% knew would be rejected to look like they tried to the fanbase. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1