Minor League Upheaval

pcq

18 minutes ago, pcq said:

I think Pittsburgh could be more likely sent there but they might have to wait a year. MLB can order people around but how quickly. Sox have a nice set-up in NC. The next couple weeks a lot of moves could be announced. The Yankees just ditched nearby AA Trenton for a more affluent community.  I also question if there will be fans Opening Day, which seems too tentative.

I was thinking the same. Either Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Pittsburgh is 3 hours away Cleveland 4 hours away. Less than an hour flight 

Linked below is a good article regarding the defeat of MLB through the Supreme Court, and good possibility of a positive result for minor league players MLB refuses to pay minimum wage.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/62717/senne-v-mlb-could-bring-change-to-milb-players-from-past-present-and-future/

Nationals are going to Rochester instead of Richmond. Astros have settled in nearby Sugar Land for AAA which they now own. At least two independents have become part of the MiLB system. It will take a while for all of the MLB realignment plans to take place. 

• Thanks 1

I know that the Sox aren't going to bring their affiliates to the local area but I would love to see that happen.  Same with the Cubs.  Not only could Chicago baseball fans support their favorite teams' minor leaguers but the Sox-Cubs rivalry could be developed at the MiLB level, and I think it would be great for those teams from an attendance and revenue standpoint.  Similarly I think it would be ideal if that could occur everywhere where natural rivalries exist.  It would be great if the Sox could also play the Brewers affiliates a lot just because there's a lot of interest there as well.

• Like 2

Wasn't it just a year or so ago that some posters were advocating the Sox expand their minor league teams. And, it made sense.  We even admired those teams with the extra affiliate, like Astros, Yanks, etc. Now the contraction fever is taking hold everywhere.  Simultaneously, there was pressure to increase pay to minor leaguers, based on minimum wage concepts, etc.  Then Covid hit us.  Things are changing fast.

On 11/15/2020 at 2:07 PM, yesterday333 said:

I am pretty sure the whole pioneer league is done... sadly for us here in MT

i am guessing only, but I think we will still have Pioneer League baseball here next season. However, if they cut it is 2022 i think these teams should sue and the cities where they are located should sue MLB. Some of these communities have spent taxpayer money to build new ballparks to meet MLB requirements and now get stuck with no baseball teams. I just think this is a slap in the face to baseball fans that enjoy and support the game. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2020 at 2:15 PM, elrockinMT said:

i am guessing only, but I think we will still have Pioneer League baseball here next season. However, if they cut it is 2022 i think these teams should sue and the cities where they are located should sue MLB. Some of these communities have spent taxpayer money to build new ballparks to meet MLB requirements and now get stuck with no baseball teams. I just think this is a slap in the face to baseball fans that enjoy and support the game. 

So it looks like the pioneer league lost its affiliated status. Sounds like it will be an independent league and the mlb will help with finances for the first year. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Feels weird for me -- this is where I got my start in baseball. The GM is a good friend of mine. 

From what I understand, MLB was trying to get them an Atlantic League slot, but I'm not surprised they didn't want it, as it's a lot more expensive to operate an Independent team, and the market was already barely viable.

Staten Island attendance has dropped to about 1800 a game while Atlantic League attendance is closer to 6,000 a game. Seems like it would be a win to me. Maybe the owners would rather soak the Yankees/mlb than invest in a greater reward with the Atlantic League.

Independent minor league baseball is vastly more entertaining. Low level minor games are like watching practice, guys just getting their at bats and innings in. Baseball would be better off with more independent leagues and less affiliated leagues IMO. Do teams really have 200 viable prospects each or need six levels of advancement? Might as well cut the fluff and let independent baseball thrive. If you have prospects that can't handle A ball, rent them out to independent teams until you're ready to assign them like the old days.

I live in a minor league town, I enjoy going to a couple of games, but do I actually care about the team? No, not at all. Not even the same team by the time playoffs come around, let alone the next year. I'd take an independent league team every day of the week over that.