FS: 40 Man Roster Decisions and Rule 5 Draft Implications

Y2Jimmy0

Jake Burger is an interesting case.  I wonder if this was the reason the Sox didn't share info from the remote site.  I mean you make it as difficult as possible for teams to gather information on these guys so the picking them is even harder.  Even if Jake Burger looked like he was expected to look when the Sox picked him, can you take up a 25/26 man roster space to take a chance on him, especially knowing you are probably picking at 1b/DH type.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Jake Burger is an interesting case.  I wonder if this was the reason the Sox didn't share info from the remote site.  I mean you make it as difficult as possible for teams to gather information on these guys so the picking them is even harder.  Even if Jake Burger looked like he was expected to look when the Sox picked him, can you take up a 25/26 man roster space to take a chance on him, especially knowing you are probably picking at 1b/DH type.

If Jake Burger gets selected in the rule 5 I'll eat a hat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the analysis.

If they are going to add some relievers, then they could go ahead and dump Cordero right now.    And they should have moved one of those catchers in a trade before now.  I'd like to see them keep those 2 pitchers that need protecting.

Now that I think about it, it's less risky to leave a player off now and risk rule 5 than it is to add them to the 40 to protect against Rule 5, but  then take them off later (where they would be on open waivers and not have to go onto the claiming team's 40 man).  So there's no point in loading guys onto the 40 if you know you'll have to remove them later.................................................

Edited by GreenSox

I've always questioned Burger's heart, desire, dedication, and work ethic the second I saw how fucking fat he was when he was drafted. I've always wondered why the SOX let him off easy with respect to his workout regimen and nutrition; I've always suspected that his injuries could have been related to a lack of effort on his part in the gym.

Congrats to him pulling off 25 pounds, but one has to wonder how/why a 21 year old with high round draft potential had to lose weight in the first place.

I could see a guy like him getting drafted.  The drafting team is hoping for lightning in a bottle.  Its low money if he has to be returned.  Since he is not "their guy", they don't really care if he is overmatched and forever harmed.  It is really kinda sad.  I think for every guy who gets that chance and succeeds, many are harmed developmentally.

3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I've always questioned Burger's heart, desire, dedication, and work ethic the second I saw how fucking fat he was when he was drafted. I've always wondered why the SOX let him off easy with respect to his workout regimen and nutrition; I've always suspected that his injuries could have been related to a lack of effort on his part in the gym.

Congrats to him pulling off 25 pounds, but one has to wonder how/why a 21 year old with high round draft potential had to lose weight in the first place.

You have an amazing talent to take a positive and crap all over it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

I could see a guy like him getting drafted.  The drafting team is hoping for lightning in a bottle.  Its low money if he has to be returned.  Since he is not "their guy", they don't really care if he is overmatched and forever harmed.  It is really kinda sad.  I think for every guy who gets that chance and succeeds, many are harmed developmentally.

Yeah I agree. See how he looks in Spring Training and if he looks bad, you return him.  Seems like a no-lose situation.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You have an amazing talent to take a positive and crap all over it.

Hey, I did congratulate him for finally learning what "cardio" meant.

But mostly, I'm embarrassed for a 25 year old who has basically nothing but time to work on his body and access to the best in medicine, training, and fitness, and money to hire a personal trainer or 10, YET he had 25 pounds to lose.

I'm also embarrassed for this org, in that they spent the 11th pick, and all that money in signing bonuses, then couldn't figure out a way to make the child accountable to stop shoveling Dominos Pizza down his fat piehole.

Here's hoping the child keeps his cardio up, and his hands off the KFC.

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

But mostly, I'm embarrassed for a 25 year old who has basically nothing but time to work on his body and access to the best in medicine, training, and fitness, and money to hire a personal trainer or 10, YET he had 25 pounds to lose.

I'm also embarrassed for this org, in that they spent the 11th pick, and all that money in signing bonuses, then couldn't figure out a way to make the child accountable to stop shoveling Dominos Pizza down his fat piehole.

That is pretty much what you do, you get upset and embarrassed, at pretty much everything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t understand how you can come to the negative conclusion. Coaches don’t rave about a player being an amazing person when they are a fat, lazy, PoS as Two-Guns is opining. Being a coach at the high school level, I’d never give my highest praises to a kid that is funny as hell but doesn’t work at all. If we have the whole Sox org and Missouri State’s staff saying he’s the most amazing person, then I’d imagine Burger was doing what he needed to be doing.

If he was able to hack 3B at the weight and get more power, then it could’ve been intentional for how Burger and his coaches understood the dude’s body. Some lower body injuries later it seems obvious he needed to be slimmer or he needs to be now, but calling him lazy seems presumptive.

I’m not even that high on Burger as a prospect. I expect absolutely nothing from him and would be happy with a few accumulated war for his career, but you’re being nasty without justification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

I don’t understand how you can come to the negative conclusion. Coaches don’t rave about a player being an amazing person when they are a fat, lazy, PoS as Two-Guns is opining. Being a coach at the high school level, I’d never give my highest praises to a kid that is funny as hell but doesn’t work at all. If we have the whole Sox org and Missouri State’s staff saying he’s the most amazing person, then I’d imagine Burger was doing what he needed to be doing.

If he was able to hack 3B at the weight and get more power, then it could’ve been intentional for how Burger and his coaches understood the dude’s body. Some lower body injuries later it seems obvious he needed to be slimmer or he needs to be now, but calling him lazy seems presumptive.

I’m not even that high on Burger as a prospect. I expect absolutely nothing from him and would be happy with a few accumulated war for his career, but you’re being nasty without justification.

Its also a part of growing up.  Mark Buehrle made it until his 30's without realizing the need for post season workouts and nutrition.  Some guys get by on natural talent long enough, that they don't appreciate what a next level work ethic actually is until they fall behind.  Its a normal part of the maturation process, and nothing something to lose your mind about.  Give the kid credit, and hope it is enough to launch him back into the top level of prospects.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Stop being such an asshole. Someone boot this clown. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1