FS: 40 Man Roster Decisions and Rule 5 Draft Implications

Y2Jimmy0

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

How do you know that?  He hasn't played in a game since 2017 and that was in low A.

He hasn't played in a game for any team affiliated with a major league team since 2017 but he has been playing again.

The Sox kept him in Schaumburg over Sheets. They would play some SIM games without outfielders but I'm sure he faced plenty of pitchers there above A ball since some of our best minor league pitchers were there and our recent draft picks Crochet and Kelley.

Before they brought him to Schaumburg he played 12 games in the Car Shield Collegiate League. He was just happy to be getting reps again in Schaumburg.

5 hours ago, fathom said:

This is all leading to a Sox twitter meltdown when he’s not protected this weekend 

Was this said in jest ? Right now Jake is a Nothing Burger for, at the minimum ,another year and a case can be made for saying he may never see any playing time for the White Sox . He'll be 25 in April and needs a minor league season desperately when we have no idea if there will be minor league seasons. Even if he can get a healthy and quality season in AA when does that put him in the majors ? When he's 26 or 27 ? He'd have to get some positional versatility  as well.

The only one I can actually see getting protected is Johnson.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I can't believe there is so much handwringing over Jake Burger getting unprotected just because he took a sexy pic.

I think it’s also the fact that he was a 1st round pick in a period we didn’t get much production out of.  Burger magically returning stronger and better than ever and us losing him for nothing has a bit of a Tatis Jr feel to it.  And yes, I know that’s completely irrtaironal, but I think it fuels some of desire for him to be protected (at least it does for me).

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it’s also the fact that he was a 1st round pick in a period we didn’t get much production out of.  Burger magically returning stronger and better than ever and us losing him for nothing has a bit of a Tatis Jr feel to it.  And yes, I know that’s completely irrtaironal, but I think it fuels some of desire for him to be protected (at least it does for me).

We need some board therapy. 

This wasn't a former #1 overall pick that looked incredible. He was a pretty normie pick in a weak-ass draft that hasn't played real baseball in 3 years, and also wasn't great in his first year.

And we are worried about a team champing at the bit to put that profile into the majors because of a positive quote from our player dev and a picture? Not like a swing change, or rumors of incredible power. Just that he looks slim.

Let's keep in mind, other teams aren't so focused on just sox prospects. And the rebuilding teams taking wild shots on players that are talented and not quite ready has been on the decline since it hasn't really led to much value.

It isn't happening. It isn't even in the same stratosphere as Tatis, who was under 18 and physical growth and skills are still massively developing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d consider it if I was the Tigers or another rebuilding club.  What do you have to lose?

If I were the Tigers, I would jump on Burger like a tall dog.  If we have a season next year, they will know by June if he is worth it.  If not, they release him or give him back.  

I think Hahn did a great job but I wish he was a little more aggressive in trading away soon to be rule 5 eligible guys. The rays do that a lot and usually dump the guys before they are eligible either for younger prospects or for mlb ready guys.

Burger of course was hard to trade but for example sheets would have been a great candidate for a trade.

But of course this is easier said than done because with no milb season the trade market for advanced but not quite ready prospects was not great. Maybe he didn't receive any decent offers.

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think Hahn did a great job but I wish he was a little more aggressive in trading away soon to be rule 5 eligible guys. The rays do that a lot and usually dump the guys before they are eligible either for younger prospects or for mlb ready guys.

Burger of course was hard to trade but for example sheets would have been a great candidate for a trade.

But of course this is easier said than done because with no milb season the trade market for advanced but not quite ready prospects was not great. Maybe he didn't receive any decent offers.

I think part of the issue this this year was there really were more teams going for it, and the teams that can trade in for the "not quite MLB ready but need to be on 40 man" are usually rebuilding clubs with talent still in lower levels.

But, yeah, it's also the competition. The rays/pads/yanks just had a lot more to unload that was more talented than the sox. And what these guys net is usually a middle reliever, and sox at the time were probably in a position where their bullpen pieces were better than they could acquire.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He seems to be a pretty easy guy to root for and if it works out it is good story.

To lose him while Seby and Yermin take up spots is my issue.  Not a big issue but still an issue.

40-man catchers are needed every year. I am rooting for Jake, but also realize that there are a lot of interesting players every year available in rule 5 and only a handful are taken. He won't be protected, and come december he will still be a white sox.

• Like 2