FS: 40 Man Roster Decisions and Rule 5 Draft Implications

Y2Jimmy0

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I don't think anyone was going to claim AND stick a guy with like 200 PAs in the past 4 years on an MLB roster for a full season. But doesn't matter now.

It might have been low risk, but why take the chance?  He’s going to be 25 years old in April and on an accelerated path, so burning through an extra option isn’t that big of a deal IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Non-tendering Rodon & Mazara will get us down to 38 with Ruiz probably next on the chopping list.

Not a whole lot of fat after those three.  Vargas, Zavala, Mercedes and Gonzalez probably the next 4.  Maybe Rutherford.  

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Not a whole lot of fat after those three.  Vargas, Zavala, Mercedes and Gonzalez probably the next 4.  Maybe Rutherford.  

I think they try to trade Adolfo to be honest.  I think he has one option left that will be used in 2021, but he’ll basically be in the Basabe situation before you know it.  Obviously depends if they can get value for him, which admittedly may be a challenge with how much time he’s missed and not being exposed to external scouts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they try to trade Adolfo to be honest.  I think he has one option left that will be used in 2021, but he’ll basically be in the Basabe situation before you know it.  Obviously depends if they can get value for him, which admittedly may be a challenge with how much time he’s missed and not being exposed to external scouts.

But I still really like Micker, but you're probably right.  

21 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The hope with Burger is he stays healthy and is a golden ticket to move at the deadline.  Hes got a top 5 potential in the Sox system if he can stick at 3rd. 

He must have looked good this summer and fall.

I think this is the important point people aren’t realizing.  For the Sox to protect a player who hasn’t played a competitive minor league game since 2017, he must look like the real deal right now from a scouting standpoint.  Obviously it’s hard to gauge too much from one random Twitter video, but the big complaints against Burger historically were his body and the risk he would end up at 1B or DH.  If there’s reason to believe with his new physicality he can stick at 3B or possibly another position (perhaps 2B?), then he suddenly becomes an entirely different, more valuable prospect and worth protecting even if the risk of selection is low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think this is the important point people aren’t realizing.  For the Sox to protect a player who hasn’t played a competitive minor league game since 2017, he must look like the real deal right now from a scouting standpoint.  Obviously it’s hard to gauge too much from one random Twitter video, but the big complaints against Burger historically were his body and the risk he would end up at 1B or DH.  If there’s reason to believe with his new physicality he can stick at 3B or possibly another position (perhaps 2B?), then he suddenly becomes an entirely different, more valuable prospect and worth protecting even if the risk of selection is low.

I saw one tweet that said his teammates thought he was the star of camp 

• Love 1