Jump to content
Y2Jimmy0

FS: 40 Man Roster Decisions and Rule 5 Draft Implications

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, smellysox said:

I heard Getz say that Jake looks better now then when the Sox drafted him. 

Just look at the video above and see for yourself lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

This is all leading to a Sox twitter meltdown when he’s not protected this weekend 

Nothing like the annual Soxtalk meltdown over someone who doesn't get protected, and never gets picked anyways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is all leading to a Sox twitter meltdown when he’s not protected this weekend 

I still don’t get why the wouldn’t protect him.  There is plenty of space on the 40 man roster to add him, Sheets, & Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t get why the wouldn’t protect him.  There is plenty of space on the 40 man roster to add him, Sheets, & Johnson.

I have a feeling none of them will

Edited by fathom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burger will definitely be protected.  The other 3 maybe not.

I know that Burger is more worthy of a roster spot than Seby Zavala, Bernardo Flores, Ruiz, etc.  The others I am not so sure about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Burger will definitely be protected.  The other 3 maybe not.

I know that Burger is more worthy of a roster spot than Seby Zavala, Bernardo Flores, Ruiz, etc.  The others I am not so sure about.

Didn’t Portillos suggest Burger wouldn’t be?  I don’t think Johnson will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t get why the wouldn’t protect him.  There is plenty of space on the 40 man roster to add him, Sheets, & Johnson.

Why waste a slot protecting someone who won't get picked?  Who out there is going to put this kid on a roster for all of next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why waste a slot protecting someone who won't get picked?  Who out there is going to put this kid on a roster for all of next year?

I could see Oakland taking him and it working out.

A team in tank mode would take him as he is cheap and a high draft pick who has been out for a couple of years for injury.  Why not take him?   He is not a pitcher who had surgery and may not be the same.  

He has a good hit tool.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm expecting Tyler Johnson and Gavin Sheets to get protected. 

Johnson I could see, as he is essentially major league ready, or close enough to it that you can mix and match with him to get through a season.  Sheets?  Again, I just don't see it.  If he played a premium defensive position, I could even see it, but even if you get their bat going, you are taking a DH/1B type, which aren't that hard to find.  I can't see teams wanting a dead roster spot to get a guy like that through a whole season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I could see Oakland taking him and it working out.

A team in tank mode would take him as he is cheap and a high draft pick who has been out for a couple of years for injury.  Why not take him?   He is not a pitcher who had surgery and may not be the same.  

He has a good hit tool.

 

 

 

He'd get murdered in the big leagues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I could see Oakland taking him and it working out.

A team in tank mode would take him as he is cheap and a high draft pick who has been out for a couple of years for injury.  Why not take him?   He is not a pitcher who had surgery and may not be the same.  

He has a good hit tool.

 

 

 

This is actually the best argument against picking him.  You are talking about taking up a roster spot for an entire season for a guy who hasn't seen a competitive pitch in years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I could see Oakland taking him and it working out.

A team in tank mode would take him as he is cheap and a high draft pick who has been out for a couple of years for injury.  Why not take him?   He is not a pitcher who had surgery and may not be the same.  

He has a good hit tool.

 

 

 

How do you know that?  He hasn't played in a game since 2017 and that was in low A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will predict Sheets is left off.  Why?  Because they will believe he will not get picked, because other teams will see him as an underdeveloped 1B who provides no positional flexibility,  so they won't put him on the 40 because that will markedly decrease his already limited trade value.  I think Johnson will get added but his spot will be more of a placeholder spot and will immediately be in jeopardy if the Sox break camp without him on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is actually the best argument against picking him.  You are talking about taking up a roster spot for an entire season for a guy who hasn't seen a competitive pitch in years.

Bingo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is actually the best argument against picking him.  You are talking about taking up a roster spot for an entire season for a guy who hasn't seen a competitive pitch in years.

That is true enough normally but we don't know on Nov 20 what things will be like in April in May.  There may again be expanded rosters etc.  It's a small amount of money to take him.  If I'm the Cubs I pick Burger for sure.  They have shit on the roster they can dump and the chance at looking at him to see if he's better than one of the many retreads in camp is worth the money, because those guys have zero trade value, but a rehabilitated Burger will at least have some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

That is true enough normally but we don't know on Nov 20 what things will be like in April in May.  There may again be expanded rosters etc.  It's a small amount of money to take him.  If I'm the Cubs I pick Burger for sure.  They have shit on the roster they can dump and the chance at looking at him to see if he's better than one of the many retreads in camp is worth the money, because those guys have zero trade value, but a rehabilitated Burger will at least have some.

The Cubs are going to take up a spot on a potential playoff roster for a poor mans Kyle Schwarber?  I can't see it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Cubs are going to take up a spot on a potential playoff roster for a poor mans Kyle Schwarber?  I can't see it.

1) Reading the tea leaves, the Cubs are not going to be looking at the playoffs next year.

2) Schwarber very well could be nontendered or traded in a salary dump

3) If it's a 28-30 man roster with a bunch of garbage on it anyway, who cares?

4) It's hard to say Burger's ceiling is a poor man's Schwarber seeing as how he has turned out to this point.  He'll never have the raw power but he could be a better pure hitter for all we know.

5) They only risk is losing the claiming fee.  The potential gain is 6 years of a quality hitter for free.

6) In theory, they can still trade him mid-season to another team willing to stash him for the rest of the season.

7) It's reinsdorf so you know the he's rooting for the claim anyway; he wants that $100K or whatever it is back in his pocket.

Even if it's a long shot, I think teams should take chances in the Rule 5 more often.  The money is really negligible when you think about the value of 6 years of a good player for free.  Especially again in a situation where there may be expanded rosters anyway. 

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I am not sure why the risk is worth it to the Sox to leave him off.  They really aren't in that "roster crunch of great talent" that people feared because so many quality-looking players busted and/or got hurt and/or ceased developing on track.  Basabe, Medeiros, etc.  There are still several spots on this roster than can be cleared even on top of the already-avaialable space.  Risking losing Burger to keep Bernardo Flores or Seby Zavala for example is a pretty stupid move IMO.  The Sox aren't going to need all of this space on the 40 for FAs.  The great majority of the club is already on the 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

1) Reading the tea leaves, the Cubs are not going to be looking at the playoffs next year.

2) Schwarber very well could be nontendered or traded in a salary dump

3) If it's a 28-30 man roster with a bunch of garbage on it anyway, who cares?

4) It's hard to say Burger's ceiling is a poor man's Schwarber seeing as how he has turned out to this point.  He'll never have the raw power but he could be a better pure hitter for all we know.

5) They only risk is losing the claiming fee.  The potential gain is 6 years of a quality hitter for free.

6) In theory, they can still trade him mid-season to another team willing to stash him for the rest of the season.

7) It's reinsdorf so you know the he's rooting for the claim anyway; he wants that $100K or whatever it is back in his pocket.

Even if it's a long shot, I think teams should take chances in the Rule 5 more often.  The money is really negligible when you think about the value of 6 years of a good player for free.  Especially again in a situation where there may be expanded rosters anyway. 

That is a LOT of ifs to hold up for a guy that isn't going to be ready to be a major leaguer on 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fathom said:

I have a feeling none of them will

I think the odds are incredibly high that Sheets & Johnson are protected.  Burger is the real wild card IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t get why the wouldn’t protect him.  There is plenty of space on the 40 man roster to add him, Sheets, & Johnson.

He'd be more likely to be taken off waivers when he has to be cleared to make room on the forty man. Can't really afford to carry anyone on the 40 you don't expect to help out in '21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

He'd be more likely to be taken off waivers when he has to be cleared to make room on the forty man. Can't really afford to carry anyone on the 40 you don't expect to help out in '21.

That’s a fair point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×