Braves sign Drew Smyly, 1 year $11 million

Jose Abreu

I'm trying to think about what this means for the market. $11 million for a guy with 26 innings last year (great innings, but his first quality work since 2015) is ridiculous for what we've been told is a depressed market. Is spending gonna be higher than we anticipated?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I think people need to start getting comfortable that some of their favorite prospects won’t be around come next year

Agreed. As long as those prospects aren't Vaughn or Kopech, I'll probably be happy. They can trade any of Cease, Madrigal, Stiever, Collins, Adolfo, and *maybe* one of the Dalquist/Thompson/Kelley tier if it means they're getting a significant upgrade

Maybe Atlanta feels pretty confident that a closer to normal 162 game  season is possible with news of (now 2) vaccines ready for public release sometime 1st quarter.

So normal to bigger salaries maybe easier to handle. 

Edited by smellysox

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed. As long as those prospects aren't Vaughn or Kopech, I'll probably be happy. They can trade any of Cease, Madrigal, Stiever, Collins, Adolfo, and *maybe* one of the Dalquist/Thompson/Kelley tier if it means they're getting a significant upgrade

Also feels like this deal makes it far less likely the Sox are able to fill all their holes via free agency (on below market deals).

This reminds me a bit of the pomeranz deal last year. Soxtalk was equally angry. But if the scouts/analysts in Atlanta thought that there were real changes from Smyly realized last year, they were probably not the only ones. I'm not sure it means that much for quintana or any others, many of which teams are planning on slow decline, and have many peers but not that many teams.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

This reminds me a bit of the pomeranz deal last year. Soxtalk was equally angry. But if the scouts/analysts in Atlanta thought that there were real changes from Smyly realized last year, they were probably not the only ones. I'm not sure it means that much for quintana or any others, many of which teams are planning on slow decline, and have many peers but not that many teams.

A bit, sure, but Pomeranz at least had a track record of health. I didn't think his deal was as outrageous as this one, primarily for that reason. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

There was a piece in FG a few weeks ago about how Smileys fast ball velocity ticked up and accordingly, he was mentioned as potentially undervalued. Not anymore.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

A bit, sure, but Pomeranz at least had a track record of health. I didn't think his deal was as outrageous as this one, primarily for that reason. 

Hence the one year deal. People were outraged at length for pomeranz and now money for Smiley. Both indicated competition. This didn't come out of no where.

I don't watch the giants ever, but his curve usage goes way up, becomes a huge swing and miss generator, the giants figured out some tunneling thing or something with him and that's repeatable.

Zaidi's choices in SF have been confusing, but they have had some decent wins in player turnarounds with smyly and gausman.

• Thanks 1