MLB Free Agents (Prediction Thread)

he gone.

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Well, that is  great question. In the old days, I'd say that the guys on his team who may end up getting plunked as a result of his antics. However, with the sissification of modern baseball, that probably isn't the problem now as it might have been a few years ago. This White Sox team is a fun loving group for sure but I do not see them acting out and showing up other players. Do you? I don't see Anderson as being an asshole for the little acting out that he does. Don't think that in this day and age with a lot of the showboats in baseball that he is anykind of problem guy.

Personally, I never like players showing other players up and if someone plunked me or one of my guys, the guy who did it was going to get hit himself. I do know enough about baseball, though, if a guy ends up getting hit because his teammate talks shit or goes after a player on another team, the pitcher who does this shit on my team is going to be challenged by me for doing it. That does happen.

"Sissifaction" and hurt feelings over players enjoying their accomplishments,  all in the same post. The hypocrisy is strong in this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

"Sissifaction" and hurt feelings over players enjoying their accomplishments,  all in the same post. The hypocrisy is strong in this one.

Where is the hypocrisy? I'm talking about pitchers and the difference between what used to happen regularly with pitchers retaliating versus what happens now. Maybe you are not old enough to have seen guys like Gibson, Bunning, Drysdale, Early Wynn, etc? Or even the guys of the next generation of bad ass pitchers. Hitters that acted out got buzzed and hit. It was automatic. And the guys playing on the same team as the hot-dog didn't take kindly to their teammates that did it because they were going to get hit also as a rule. Now it is totally different as far as what the baseball "rules" are. What set of rules were right and which were wrong, I don't know. Its all how you look at things.

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Where is the hypocrisy? I'm talking about pitchers and the difference between what used to happen regularly with pitchers retaliating versus what happens now. Maybe you are not old enough to have seen guys like Gibson, Bunning, Drysdale, Early Wynn, etc? Or even the guys of the next generation of bad ass pitchers. Hitters that acted out got buzzed and hit. It was automatic. And the guys playing on the same team as the hot-dog didn't take kindly to their teammates that did it because they were going to get hit also as a rule. Now it is totally different as far as what the baseball "rules" are. What set of rules were right and which were wrong, I don't know. Its all how you look at things.

Yeah, guys who got their feelings hurt tried to physically hurt and injure people to make up for their hurt feelings,  yet today’s players are sissified... the irony is deep there.

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, guys who got their feelings hurt tried to physically hurt and injure people to make up for their hurt feelings,  yet today’s players are sissified... the irony is deep there.

Do you think that player's who mock their opponent are better examples of doing things right? There are two different views on things. I say that really both views are/were wrong. In the old days, the players pretty much policed themselves and there was a lot less money in the game back then. Nowadays the league itself sets and enforces the rules and the players are basically all millionaires including many who have not even played in the majors at all. There is irony all right. But there is irony on both sides of the issue.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You actually think the motivation of brush back pitches was hurt feelings? I'd say it had more to do with domination, intimidation , control and psychological warfare. HBP rates were actually lower back then. Now batters think they can just stand on top of the plate without budging, and flip out over a pitch couple inches inside, as if they're supposed to be allowed to just sit comfortably in the box, take their three home run cuts in their wheelhouse then go sit down, walk to first or round the bases

Edited by Vulture
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

You actually think the motivation of brush back pitches was hurt feelings? I'd say it had more to do with domination, intimidation , control and psychological warfare. HBP rates were actually lower back then. Now batters think they can just stand on top of the plate without budging, and flip out over a pitch couple inches inside.

That's 100% true. And back in the day, there wasn't the body armor of today to keep the elbow and forearms protected. Of course, that wouldn't have prevented Gibson from getting the hitter off of the plate:)

30 minutes ago, Vulture said:

You actually think the motivation of brush back pitches was hurt feelings? I'd say it had more to do with domination, intimidation , control and psychological warfare. HBP rates were actually lower back then. Now batters think they can just stand on top of the plate without budging, and flip out over a pitch couple inches inside, as if they're supposed to be allowed to just sit comfortably in the box, take their three home run cuts in their wheelhouse then go sit down, walk to first or round the bases

You explained it perfectly and the modern fan doesn't understand the way the game used to be played. It was all about who owned the plate. No pitcher could be a great pitcher without some combination of stuff,control and fear. The fear factor has been removed from the game with hitters with body armor, making it that much more reliant on stuff and control/command. Now hitters go to the plate without fear knowing  a weapon has been removed from a pitchers arsenal and because after an ump give you a warning even a pitch that gets away from you and you get kicked out of the game which means pitchers now lose a portion of the plate giving the hitter a huge advantage.

A pitcher knocking a guy down often wasn't retaliation for hitting a HR it was the pitcher saying I made a mistake letting you own the plate and I am not making that mistake again.

9 hours ago, Vulture said:

The previous poster literally just talked about throwing at people for celebrating, so yes, that was the point here.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

I am glad that throwing at batters is not as big a part of the game as it was.

Intentional injury shouldn't be part of any game. 

It’s good we don’t have a manager with a lifetime history of provoking beanball wars. Oh snap, well we did have a decent human being last season.

1 hour ago, tray said:

I am glad that throwing at batters is not as big a part of the game as it was.

Intentional injury shouldn't be part of any game. 

Exactly. If you don't like batters teeing off on your pitches, then learn how to throw better pitches.

And let players celebrate. "Showing up" an opponent is such a bullshit concept. It's a freaking game.

Edited by chetkincaid
  • Like 1