2021 Hall of Fame Ballot

flavum

ew7w0kf8xmz51.png

Buehrle would get my vote.

My unapologetic ballot if I had a vote:

Curt Schilling, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Omar Vizquel, Scott Rolen, Todd Helton, Jeff Kent, Manny Ramirez, Tim Hudson, Mark Buehrle

My no's:

Billy Wagner, Gary Sheffield, Andruw Jones, Sammy Sosa, Andy Pettitte, Bobby Abreu, Torii Hunter, Aramis Ramirez

Who you got?

Buerhle should be on there.  I would love to see him get in.  Andruw Jones as well.  And I think Vizquel and Rolen too.  Some of the rest of the guys I would have to look at their numbers.  But what Buehrle was able to do with his stuff with his career was really one of the most remarkable things I've seen as a fan.  He was really the ultimate outlier.  He never should have made it but he did, and he threw 2 no-nos including a perfecto, pitched all those years and innings, made people really respect his abilities, etc.  Won a WS, saved a WS, and a great fielding P with maybe the most incredible defensive plays / athletic feats on defense you will ever see a P make.  Controlled the running game excellently, and like Hawk says, one of the best teammates anyone could ever had.  And he never lost his childlike qualities either.  Love MB and I hope he gets into the HOF.

• Like 2

There isn't really anyone on that list that I would say screams that they must be an absolute HOFer.

I think if I had to pick some, Andruw Jones and Billy Wagner would top my list.

I think Schilling kind of fit into the Harold Baines feeling of close but not quite (at least until Jerry got him in)

I love Mark Buehrle, but I just can't squint and see it.

I would never vote for Bonds, Clemens, Sheffield, Sosa, and Manny because of their peak drug usage.

A.J. Burnett, Michael Cuddyer, Dan Haren, LaTroy Hawkins, Nick Swisher, Shane Victorino and Barry Zito should be one ballot and off guys.

If you dig into the numbers and the era the players are from, Buehrle deserves more recognition than Konerko. They shouldn’t be paired together as the same level of HOF consideration. Buehrle, Hudson, and Sabathia  (eventually) are HOF pitchers of their era, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

If you dig into the numbers and the era the players are from, Buehrle deserves more recognition than Konerko. They shouldn’t be paired together as the same level of HOF consideration. Buehrle, Hudson, and Sabathia  (eventually) are HOF pitchers of their era, in my opinion.

Why do you say that? 

3 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Why do you say that? 

Short answer- Konerko is kinda like Mark Teixeira or Bobby Abreu. Great careers, but short of HOF in my opinion. Buehrle, as a pitcher from his era, compiled 15 years of durability, the no hitters, the 05 postseason was good, the fielding was outstanding, and he’s a quality human being if you’re going down that path.

Came across a Cardinals fan post about MB

"

Since 1999 he's 5th in wins and the only guys who might pass him are Greinke, Scherzer, and Kershaw. In that same period he's 2nd in IP with only Verlander & Greinke likely to pass him, he's 12th in fWAR behind 8 HoFers and in line with Oswalt, Felix, and (bizarrely) Javier Vazquez. And fWAR underrates him because his combination of skill at shutting down the running game and fielding his position mean that FIP underrates him significantly - he's got an entire Cy Young season worth of extra bWAR, which uses RA instead of FIP. His BREF similar pitcher list is a couple of HoFers and a bunch fo guys who are either right on the cusp or legitimately the two biggest omissions in HoF history for SP. Add in the no-no, the perfecto, the title that he led the team to (saving Game 3 with a buzz after winning Game 2), and most importantly the 14 consecutive seasons with 200+ IP, and that's a Hall of Famer.

Every motherfucker who b****es about WAR being too heavily relied upon in any baseball/HoF debate needs to be banging the drum loudly for Buehrle to get in or reveal themselves as rank hypocrites."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, flavum said:

Short answer- Konerko is kinda like Mark Teixeira or Bobby Abreu. Great careers, but short of HOF in my opinion. Buehrle, as a pitcher from his era, compiled 15 years of durability, the no hitters, the 05 postseason was good, the fielding was outstanding, and he’s a quality human being if you’re going down that path.

The reasons why you gave for not having Paulie in the HOF are the same ones that Buehrle has in my opinion. He never came close to being a twenty game winner in his time in the league. He was great given the stuff that the had or rather what he didn't have. He was a war horse who gave you a great chance to win a game when he pitched. Paulie, to me, really has a better chance of getting into the HOF when the voters consider his power numbers in an era where steroids was prevalent. His season in 2005 was his best and his post season was also terrific.  Both of these men were terrific role models for younger players to look at and admire.

Player  Career WAR 
Barry Bonds               162.8
Rodger Clemens               138.7
Curt Schilling                 80.5
Scott Rolen                 70.1
Manny Ramirez                 69.3
Andruw Jones                 62.7
Todd Helton                 61.8
Andy Pettitte                 60.7
Gary Sheffield                 60.5
Bobby Abreu                 60.2
Mark Buehrle                 60.0
Sammy Sosa                 58.6
Tim Hudson                 56.5
Jeff Kent                 55.4
Torii Hunter                 50.7
Omar Vizquel                 45.6
Barry Zito                 33.1
Dan Haren                 32.9
Aramis Ramirez                 32.4
Shane Victorino                 31.5
AJ Burnett                 29.6
Billy Wagner                 28.7
Nick Swisher                 21.4
LaTroy Hawkins                 18.0
Michael Cuddyer                 17.7

HOFer Bruce Sutter Career WAR 24

Steroids

Buehrle is in the middle of the pack, but if you remove the roiders, he has a shot.

Edited by Buehrle5687

My ballot: Bonds and Clemens.

I have a stricter criteria than most, believe most veterans committee and a few BBWAA elected players shouldn’t be in. If you have to think about it / it’s not a no brainer, the player should likely not be in the HOF.

That said, I’m fine with Bonds and Clemens waiting until Veterans Committee eligibility before entering. That will likely be how it goes down.  Just feel the two were HOFers with or without steroids, and career long cheating hasn’t disqualified players like Gaylord Perry. I also understand completely why people would leave them off their ballot, and wouldn’t argue on their behalf.

Think Pete Rose should be allowed in perhaps after he passes, especially in light of the fact MLB is fully immersed in gambling.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

The reasons why you gave for not having Paulie in the HOF are the same ones that Buehrle has in my opinion. He never came close to being a twenty game winner in his time in the league. He was great given the stuff that the had or rather what he didn't have. He was a war horse who gave you a great chance to win a game when he pitched. Paulie, to me, really has a better chance of getting into the HOF when the voters consider his power numbers in an era where steroids was prevalent. His season in 2005 was his best and his post season was also terrific.  Both of these men were terrific role models for younger players to look at and admire.

Paul Konerko already had his shot and did not receive a high enough number of votes to continue on the ballot this year.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/paul-konerko-misses-out-2020-hall-fame-falls-ballot-after-receiving-25-vote

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think Buehrle was a deserving HOFer, but I would really like to see him stay on the ballot for a number of years, so that we can develop some better context for his career.

Good post. If Bobby Abreu got 5% last year, I really hope for the same for Buehrle this year. The way things are going in baseball, seeing 14 years of 200+ innings after the year 2000 is going to be hard to ignore as years go by.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Good post. If Bobby Abreu got 5% last year, I really hope for the same for Buehrle this year. The way things are going in baseball, seeing 14 years of 200+ innings after the year 2000 is going to be hard to ignore as years go by.

If people like Felix Hernandez, Cole Hamels start coming in and people start giving them large vote fractions, that would make it pretty hard to not put Mark! in first.

Scherzer, Kershaw, and Greinke already have far more WAR accumulated than Mark! and seem deserving HOF candidates. Beyond that, Sale and DeGrom have enough WAR that they could feasibly challenge for 60+ in a few years, but obviously that depends on health esp. for Sale. Beyond them, the next guy on the list who might even have a shot at those numbers looks like Cole, and he's more than half a career away. You could legitimately be looking in 8-9 years at saying "hmph, Mark! was one of the last really good starting pitchers and his numbers are so far beyond what we're seeing from Starters today...maybe we should put him in".