2021 Hall of Fame Ballot

flavum

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks for posting. My two selections have a shot to bridge the gap. Would have added Schilling to my ballot after further reflection, including the rationale  Jay Jaffe wrote he used to omit him. Whether you agree or disagree with Schillings politics or statements, it should have no bearing on your hall of fame vote.

I’m truly agnostic when it comes to Rolen or Jones, would have to study it more if I had a ballot. I would likely keep it no, but wouldn’t be necessarily concerned if either made it.

Can’t argue Jones out with all of the weak to horrendous CF inductees currently in (Averill, Carey, Combs, Duffy, Puckett, Roush, Waner, Wilson). Warner is worse than Baines.

Nice to see Vizquel’s support dropping, not necessarily because he is a thug, but because he is did not have a hall of fame career.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_SS.shtml

I think the so-called "character clause" is just as divisive as the question of PEDs in the Hall or not. Some voters use it a deciding factor for borderline guys, rightly or wrongly.

A guy like Vizquel has very borderline hard numbers, but was getting the benefit for his defense, longevity, and "being good for the game". He would've benefited had that good-guy narrative stuck. Take that last part away and he's on the other side of fence.

Schilling objectively should be in, but people again use the character clause because they don't like him and need a justification for why they can vote against him and still feel good about their decision.

I feel like Eddie Murray was another case like this back in the day because he was an ass to reporters - he just wanted to play ball, and he did it really, really well. The reporters/voters took took that as a slight and held him out for a long while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daggins said:

That Rogers ballot makes me feel bad about baseball and life in general.

Also this would be the first time in a while no one is elected, right? Like, quite a few years?

I answered my own question - in 2013, the BBWAA inducted 0 players into the HOF. The veterans committee did, however. Prior to that, you have to go back to 1996 to find another 0-fer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Announcement day is here. A lot of public votes pouring in this morning. Schilling will be close, but I think he’ll come up short and then have even fewer votes next year (his last year on the ballot), because of the recent comments. 

Buehrle needs about 6 votes from the half of the unknown ballots to remain next year. I’m interested to see where Tim Hudson ends up because he probably has a better case than Buehrle, yet he’ll probably fall off the ballot.

Alex Rodriguez and David Ortiz and a few other good players join the crowded ballot next year.

Announcement a little after 5pm central. 

On 12/31/2020 at 10:40 AM, MiddleCoastBias said:

I think the so-called "character clause" is just as divisive as the question of PEDs in the Hall or not. Some voters use it a deciding factor for borderline guys, rightly or wrongly.

A guy like Vizquel has very borderline hard numbers, but was getting the benefit for his defense, longevity, and "being good for the game". He would've benefited had that good-guy narrative stuck. Take that last part away and he's on the other side of fence.

Schilling objectively should be in, but people again use the character clause because they don't like him and need a justification for why they can vote against him and still feel good about their decision.

I feel like Eddie Murray was another case like this back in the day because he was an ass to reporters - he just wanted to play ball, and he did it really, really well. The reporters/voters took took that as a slight and held him out for a long while.

I think you were thinking of Jim Rice, who like Murray, pissed off reporters and took forever to be elected.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Announcement day is here. A lot of public votes pouring in this morning. Schilling will be close, but I think he’ll come up short and then have even fewer votes next year (his last year on the ballot), because of the recent comments. 

Buehrle needs about 6 votes from the half of the unknown ballots to remain next year. I’m interested to see where Tim Hudson ends up because he probably has a better case than Buehrle, yet he’ll probably fall off the ballot.

Alex Rodriguez and David Ortiz and a few other good players join the crowded ballot next year.

The day of ballots are always cast at a lesser percentage than the early announcements, especially for borderline guys.  If Schilling is right at 75% now, he won't make it.

4 hours ago, flavum said:

I don't know if this will have actually happened, but it has been discussed apparently.

3 minutes ago, knightni said:

Would Minoso be veterans eligible still?

They didn't do a committee this year, but I'm sure Minoso will be considered again, and get in eventually. It really is a joke how Minnie was overlooked. Got a late start because of his color, and then he was the 2nd best AL player from 1951-1961. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know if this will have actually happened, but it has been discussed apparently.

Curt is a fucking dope who makes a bigger idiot of himself as time goes on.

That said, he's not in the HOF because of his politics. Let people keep their damn accolades.

Cancel culture strikes again. Don't agree with someone's politics and you get cancelled. Schilling will never get in and its too bad. Curt just needs to put some pictures of himself wearing a Biden shirt and he will get like 95% of the vote next year.

It is sad we are actually letting whether you are a Dem or  Rep determine whether you get into the HOF. Lets be honest, they both kind of suck. Free Speech used to be a pretty good thing in this country.

And Jeff Kent I guess wasnt flashy enough either. Didnt kiss enough reporter ass apparently. His numbers are the best ever for 2nd basemen. He has the most HRs at 2B and has more RBIs than Mickey Mantle, Vlad Guerrero, Mark Mcgwire. Kind of crazy

1 hour ago, pmb0928 said:

Cancel culture strikes again. Don't agree with someone's politics and you get cancelled. Schilling will never get in and its too bad. Curt just needs to put some pictures of himself wearing a Biden shirt and he will get like 95% of the vote next year.

It is sad we are actually letting whether you are a Dem or  Rep determine whether you get into the HOF. Lets be honest, they both kind of suck. Free Speech used to be a pretty good thing in this country.

And Jeff Kent I guess wasnt flashy enough either. Didnt kiss enough reporter ass apparently. His numbers are the best ever for 2nd basemen. He has the most HRs at 2B and has more RBIs than Mickey Mantle, Vlad Guerrero, Mark Mcgwire. Kind of crazy

The hall is a marketing tool for MLB. It's a giant commercial.