Theo Epstein Resigns; Hoyer Stays

bmags

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he wasn't going to stay being 2021, it makes no sense for him to be here now with the decisions they must make. Bye Theo. The Cubs are starting to turn back into the Cubs.

Yeah. I was getting confused by the idea that the cubs were going to make a huge shake-up when it was known Theo would leave after this year. Why put him in charge of that?

This makes more sense, but definitely to me says that they are going to re-load. I'd bet ricketts are not in place to take on huge losses for a more ...sedated fanbase.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah. I was getting confused by the idea that the cubs were going to make a huge shake-up when it was known Theo would leave after this year. Why put him in charge of that?

This makes more sense, but definitely to me says that they are going to re-load. I'd bet ricketts are not in place to take on huge losses for a more ...sedated fanbase.

I think that their FO (minus ownership probably) genuinely is all on the same page.  They probably wouldn't have issues whether Theo stays or goes.  But the move by Theo is move of respect for Hoyer and whoever moves up into the GM role.

Also it probably keeps that McLeod guy there in a GM role by moving him up.  Theo may have wanted to save the organization from being pillaged of a quality executive, in his mind.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's what I was thinking. Theo needs an open checkbook. I am thinking the Cubs are going the other way. Ricketts bought up the neighborhood, and couldn't get the cash registers to light up this year. He's probably really hurting, and it probably will take years to get out. 

1 minute ago, knightni said:

Never forget the insider trading done by Epstein to get Rizzo.

Traded him to San Diego from Boston, then got Hoyer, then SDs GM,  to trade him to Chicago, then hired Hoyer.

They also go Cashner in that deal.  Cashner wasn't exactly a shitty young player and became a pretty good SP who underachieved.  And at the time Rizzo looked like he could go the bust route.  The realy screwjob there IMO for the Pads was Casey Kelly never turning into anything.  There was another player too I think an IF or OF that was supposedly be so great, and he never turned into anything either.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

They also go Cashner in that deal.  Cashner wasn't exactly a shitty young player and became a pretty good SP who underachieved.  And at the time Rizzo looked like he could go the bust route.  The realy screwjob there IMO for the Pads was Casey Kelly never turning into anything.  There was another player too I think an IF or OF that was supposedly be so great, and he never turned into anything either.

"On January 6, 2012, the Chicago Cubs traded Andrew Cashner and Kyung-Min Na to the San Diego Padres in exchange for Zach Cates and Anthony Rizzo."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, knightni said:

Never forget the insider trading done by Epstein to get Rizzo.

Traded him to San Diego from Boston, then got Hoyer, then SDs GM,  to trade him to Chicago, then hired Hoyer.

This didn't happen. Hoyer was already in Chicago by then. San Diego had Josh Byrnes I believe.