Theo Epstein Resigns; Hoyer Stays

bmags

18 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Hahn hasn't really earned it yet. Another GM job is probably more likely if he were to leave in next couple years.

This, plus the fact he was just demoted last month from GM to Assistant GM by Jerry and Tony.

Working for Ricketts is a different set of issues than working for Jerry. The positive is he will allow his GM to do his job, and won’t interfere with important decisions. You get your budget and you make the call. It’s a mess now, but they will always have a top five payroll and long term it’s a better fit. Plus, Jerry will likely be gone soon, and new owners will bring in new people.

I don’t agree with the sentiment he is being forced out or is disgusted. He said he would be there for ten years and he stuck with it. Someone said he pulled a Paxton. Paxton would have been there until Jerry died, if Michael didn’t take over, and it took Michael three years before finally pulling the trigger.

Theo’s letter to Cub employees linked here, it’s free to non subscribers.

https://theathletic.com/2203590/2020/11/17/cubs-president-theo-epstein-explains-why-he-is-stepping-down/

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

criteria for Jerry's replacement needs to be a billionaire...not a multiple hundred millionaire family that really doesn't have much cash outside of their company's worth. 

LOL at jerry selling to a billionaire that may pay players money.

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

actually love that idea...Boras says Hell no. 

If they were to non-tender Bryant, he will take the largest contract offer he gets this year (he struggled last year so if good contracts aren't forthcoming, he is a guy who will need to play to earn a bigger deal).

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I know that the Ricketts don't have unlimited funds but it is mind blowing that they are claiming poor the past few years.

The one thing I can think of is they are leveraged to the hilt. They basically took over most of the area around the park, and they aren't obviously getting any of the revenue they were expecting. They set it up to cash registers working all day, not just during the game, and the pandemic made it zero. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The one thing I can think of is they are leveraged to the hilt. They basically took over most of the area around the park, and they aren't obviously getting any of the revenue they were expecting. They set it up to cash registers working all day, not just during the game, and the pandemic made it zero. 

I know the pandemic hit them hard and that is excusable for this season, but they didn't want to spend last season either.   I think your comment about them being leveraged to the hilt had much more to do with it

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I wouldn't want the White Sox giving up anything of value to pay Bryant $22 million or so this year. 

Wasn’t he the worst player in baseball against RHP last year?  I’m not a fan of the fit. Honestly Schwarber is a way better fit as a DH if they want to hold back Vaughn.

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You guys really think Kris Bryant would be nontendered? I would love to roll the dice on him in RF for 10m. Maybe they promise him he will get some burn at 3B whenever Yoan is injured or needs a day off. 

He made $18.6 last year, and is probably due in the $25 million range if he goes to arb this year.  He was terrible last year, and mediocre in 2 of the last 3 years.  He is also looking at a contract that not many teams have space for right to add in a trade with all of the covid stuff going on.  Unless the Cubs worked out a bad contract for bad contract type of deal, I can't see a team taking that kind of money on naked of risk movement right now.  In an ordinary year, they probably take another chance.  This year?  I get the feeling it happens.

2 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You guys really think Kris Bryant would be nontendered? I would love to roll the dice on him in RF for 10m. Maybe they promise him he will get some burn at 3B whenever Yoan is injured or needs a day off. 

Guys like Bryant being nontendered are exactly what I was expecting of this offseason - that's how you cut payroll rapidly, and in this league it's basically the only way to do so. I'd expect to see other names on the list as well when that comes.

If the Cubs lost $50 million last year, they won't have a lot of cash just sitting around to cover those losses, too much of the value is tied up in the team and owed as debt, and they can't rapidly bring on new shareholders to gain access to cash.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Wasn’t he the worst player in baseball against RHP last year?  I’m not a fan of the fit. Honestly Schwarber is a way better fit as a DH if they want to hold back Vaughn.

Yes but I would still roll dice with Bryant in RF on a contract year.