Theo Epstein Resigns; Hoyer Stays

bmags

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd rather pay Bryant 1 year/$15 million and play for time than lock in 5/$125 for Springer, esp. if the White Sox have a payroll limit next year.

I’d rather lock up a potential 5 win OF to a below market contract for the next half decade instead of basing all my decisions around 2021.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I know that the Ricketts don't have unlimited funds but it is mind blowing that they are claiming poor the past few years.

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They took on SOOOOO much debt to make the buy of the team happen, that their debt load puts them up against the MLB ceilings.

The Rickett's just sold Ameri Trade to Charles Schwab for 26 Billion. Crying poor is kinda silly.

1 minute ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

The Rickett's just sold Ameri Trade to Charles Schwab for 26 Billion. Crying poor is kinda silly.

It isn't that simple.  They essentially ran a complicated tax scam that put the Cubs into a complicated ownership structure which eventually will pass the team through as a tax savings.

Because of this structure they can't just pay off the team debt.  The debt has real world consequences for the team through the MLB rules on team debt and spending.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah. I was getting confused by the idea that the cubs were going to make a huge shake-up when it was known Theo would leave after this year. Why put him in charge of that?

This makes more sense, but definitely to me says that they are going to re-load. I'd bet ricketts are not in place to take on huge losses for a more ...sedated fanbase.

I think Theo wasn't motivated to go through another tank job and if the owners weren't giving him the financial means to compete it made no sense to stay there.

Maybe he goes to the angels now after dombrowski declined the opportunity?

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Uhhh...you unwittingly played a big part in creating that monster, Theo.  

If he has some creative ideas to make the game more watchable, I’m all for him joining the League office. Smart guy who knows a lot of smart people that can study the impact of banning the shift, normalizing the baseball so line drive, opposite field homers don’t go 7 rows deep by adding weight to the ball/raising the seems. Robot umps. Possibly changing 60 ft 6 in to a different distance. A pitch clock that’s enforced...etc. The game needs a faster pace and fewer strikeouts and I think Theo knows that.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd rather pay Bryant 1 year/$15 million and play for time than lock in 5/$125 for Springer, esp. if the White Sox have a payroll limit next year.

I would definitely support 1 year/12-15 million for Bryant IF they don't reach a Springer deal. His upside compared to Pederson is better and he will be really motivated. He started showing life the last few weeks. I do worry about him getting injured playing RF a bit though. This also allows the Sox to sign Colas and give him a year to get acclimated/ready. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

They took on SOOOOO much debt to make the buy of the team happen, that their debt load puts them up against the MLB ceilings.

Exactly they gambled on the neighborhood being an entertainment destination and then poof that was all gone.  They will recover as the family will prop it up for a while but Joe Ricketts is not funding Tom's hobby.  The cash cow is on hold and the bills are coming due.  My guess is they need to cut payroll down to about $120M just for the team.  No telling what is happening with the investments around the park.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if the Cubs went through all of what they went through for an extra year of control with Bryant to ultimately not want it?

I can't see him being non-tendered. He will be tendered and dealt for something (even if it is a small peice) before being just released with nothing to show.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if the Cubs went through all of what they went through for an extra year of control with Bryant to ultimately not want it?

Is there even a question?  Good reminder that just because you have your "core" signed up for X years, it doesn't necessarily mean you have an X-year window of contention.  Sh*t happens, and more with each passing year.  The Cubs are Exhibit A.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

"On January 6, 2012, the Chicago Cubs traded Andrew Cashner and Kyung-Min Na to the San Diego Padres in exchange for Zach Cates and Anthony Rizzo."

December 6, 2010: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with a player to be named later, Rey Fuentes and Casey Kelly to the San Diego Padres for Adrian Gonzalez. The Boston Red Sox sent Eric Patterson (December 16, 2010) to the San Diego Padres to complete the trade.

Not sure why you posted your link.  Rizzo was a part of the Gonzalez deal and at the time the main focus was on Casey Kelly, and Rey Fuentes was supposed to be a stud.  

Those other 2 busting hurt a lot more than trading Rizzo for Cashner overall.  Cashner was still a good player for a while.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

December 6, 2010: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with a player to be named later, Rey Fuentes and Casey Kelly to the San Diego Padres for Adrian Gonzalez. The Boston Red Sox sent Eric Patterson (December 16, 2010) to the San Diego Padres to complete the trade.

Not sure why you posted your link.  Rizzo was a part of the Gonzalez deal and at the time the main focus was on Casey Kelly, and Rey Fuentes was supposed to be a stud.  

Those other 2 busting hurt a lot more than trading Rizzo for Cashner overall.  Cashner was still a good player for a while.

The way you responded it seemed as if you were referencing the Cubs and Padres trade for Rizzo

Wow this is big news.

I'm excited to see what the Cubs do.

I'd try very hard to get Bryant from them. I'd love to lock Bryant up long term, that'd be absolutely insane. 

With that being said, I can't imagine our guys doing that -- they aren't very talented at getting stars.