Quick Hit, would you take a vaccine?

he gone.

Would you take a vaccine? (Poll)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Currently, with the information at hand, assuming it all comes out positively from here until April, would you take a vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends, leaning Yes
    • Depends, leaning No

Sorry to create a thread specific for this, but was in a group thread with friends and this was pretty hotly contested. I'm sure answers and opinions can and will change over time, but assuming all that is out there now keeps developing positively, would you take a vaccine?

How about for your kids?

What would change your mind either way?

Also to add to this - i feel like this a good topic/thread in general since our focus as a country may be headed in this direction over the next 6 months rather than just on Covid cases, deaths, hospitals, etc. 

If a mod disagrees feel free to take this down or lock it. 

If everything is transparent about its development and testing, I would take it. If it had come out right around election time, I would have be highly skeptical. But like I said, everything would have to be transparent, and the public would have to be fully informed. It can't be like the rest of the handling of this pandemic. This can't be political or opportunistic. We've had enough of that already.

I definitely feel better about it now that two companies have developed apparent very effective and safe vaccines.  And one, Pfizer, is not associated with Operation Warp Speed.  If everything goes as expected (approval, ramped up production, etc.), I would feel fine about getting the vaccine.  And I'll encourage my family to do the same.

I'm glad the response thus far is positive ... maybe my friends are just idiots haha. I wasn't necessarily shocked by the conversation, but it wasn't just "casual" probably not answers, it was more like "hell no" "no chance" answers... which surprised me a lot. And these aren't people who are like  "covid is fake" or don't where masks.. 

i knew it was a hot button issue a bit, but thought it was more tepid -- like 7 out of 10 people would take it. 

16 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm glad the response thus far is positive ... maybe my friends are just idiots haha. I wasn't necessarily shocked by the conversation, but it wasn't just "casual" probably not answers, it was more like "hell no" "no chance" answers... which surprised me a lot. And these aren't people who are like  "covid is fake" or don't where masks.. 

i knew it was a hot button issue a bit, but thought it was more tepid -- like 7 out of 10 people would take it. 

I mean, when everything started all they kept talking about was the trial and error period of a vaccine is very long because they simply don't know how people will react to it.  The part that worries me a lot is simply the motivation to be the savior added with the speed of the development.   Corners get cut.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I mean, when everything started all they kept talking about was the trial and error period of a vaccine is very long because they simply don't know how people will react to it.  The part that worries me a lot is simply the motivation to be the savior added with the speed of the development.   Corners get cut.

Exactly. It's the long-term effects that won't be observed due to the time crunch that worry me. I'll probably get it regardless, I always get vaccines and I understand that the odds are very high that extended testing and time would not reveal any sort of long-term consequences. At the same time, I think it's a valid concern and wouldn't fault someone for using it as a reason to not get it. Anti-vaxxers, on the other hand, are a whole other story

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Exactly. It's the long-term effects that won't be observed due to the time crunch that worry me. I'll probably get it regardless, I always get vaccines and I understand that the odds are very high that extended testing and time would not reveal any sort of long-term consequences. At the same time, I think it's a valid concern and wouldn't fault someone for using it as a reason to not get it. Anti-vaxxers, on the other hand, are a whole other story

^^^^^^

14 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

While there may be long term issues with the vaccine that could show up...we know there are potentially extreme long-term issues with getting the virus. Like 75% of cases that produced severe symptoms had at least 1 symptom lingering 3-4 months later in the last report I saw.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

While there may be long term issues with the vaccine that could show up...we know there are potentially extreme long-term issues with getting the virus. Like 75% of cases that produced severe symptoms had at least 1 symptom lingering 3-4 months later in the last report I saw.

For sure. That's why I'd be content to continue quarantining as I have been since March if I don't get the vaccine.

That said, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting it as soon as it's made available to me, in spite of my concerns

16 hours ago, Texsox said:

Lucky me,  as a teacher I can be first in line.  I have serious concerns when I worry politics and profits were a bigger push to market than science. 

I think we're presuming that when the applications are submitted to the FDA and approved, we'll see far more data like the 130 page document dump Moderna did in ~August, rather than the 1 page press releases we're seeing now. If all you see is 1 page press releases from the FDA and Pfizer saying its fine...people will start asking for the data behind it. If they refuse to share that...well...That would be a serious concern.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I think we're presuming that when the applications are submitted to the FDA and approved, we'll see far more data like the 130 page document dump Moderna did in ~August, rather than the 1 page press releases we're seeing now. If all you see is 1 page press releases from the FDA and Pfizer saying its fine...people will start asking for the data behind it. If they refuse to share that...well...That would be a serious concern.

Then why don't we fast track everything?  Is our regular process overregulating drug companies? Drugs and treatments do seem to be available in other countries first. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Then why don't we fast track everything?  Is our regular process overregulating drug companies? Drugs and treatments do seem to be available in other countries first. 

I mean, if after taking something for 12 months, 0.1% of people begin to experience severe complications with a drug, that's a bad thing and a major concern with the drug, dependning on what it is for. 

If we wait that long for this one, the body count will be what, another 500k? 100k if we got our act together? And then we'll have tens of millions with heart damage, brain damage, lung damage that might kill them a few years down the road? 

In an emergency, you do the best you can and fix problems you created later. That's where we are now with this thing. Out of the initial group, no one showed severe complications in the first few months - that's enough to get it to health workers and the elderly, because this thing is killing them right now. This thing is killing 10-20% of the elderly people who get it. 

I believe the question is do you want to be 1st in line,  100,000 in line,  or 10,000,000 in line? I suspect everyone has their own comfort level.  I'll gladly step aside and allow you to jump ahead of me.  We'll  both be happy. 

I'll do it, I'm a very pro-vaccine person, I just don't wanna be the first to do it. A lot of my friends are skeptical but Black folks are like that about vaccines because *gestures broadly at Tuskegee experiments, Henrietta Lacks, entire history of the United States, etc*

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

I believe the question is do you want to be 1st in line,  100,000 in line,  or 10,000,000 in line? I suspect everyone has their own comfort level.  I'll gladly step aside and allow you to jump ahead of me.  We'll  both be happy. 

I would be 100,000th in line. I have some reasons why I shouldn’t be first/in a test group, but those same reasons say I really won’t do well if I get the actual virus. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I would be 100,000th in line. I have some reasons why I shouldn’t be first/in a test group, but those same reasons say I really won’t do well if I get the actual virus. 

Same. I'm 26 and healthy, haven't been even close to sick this entire time covid has been here, and due to the nature of my work, I am around people all the time. I haven't gotten sick yet, and not saying I won't or I shouldn't be concerned for myself, but I think the more vulnerable populations should get it before I do. 

13 hours ago, lostfan said:

I'll do it, I'm a very pro-vaccine person, I just don't wanna be the first to do it. A lot of my friends are skeptical but Black folks are like that about vaccines because *gestures broadly at Tuskegee experiments, Henrietta Lacks, entire history of the United States, etc*

I already have been telling my kids we are in. I probably won’t be first because of prioritization but like you I am pro vaccine. I also assume between all of these companies a ton of analysis is being done etc. I am hoping by March/April my family and I have vaccine in us. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I already have been telling my kids we are in. I probably won’t be first because of prioritization but like you I am pro vaccine. I also assume between all of these companies a ton of analysis is being done etc. I am hoping by March/April my family and I have vaccine in us. 

I'm gonna have to talk my wife into getting it because there's some hesitation on her part, but she is also scared to get the virus, so she is gonna have to cave