Quick Hit, would you take a vaccine?

he gone.

Would you take a vaccine? (Poll)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Currently, with the information at hand, assuming it all comes out positively from here until April, would you take a vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends, leaning Yes
    • Depends, leaning No

15 hours ago, lostfan said:

I'll do it, I'm a very pro-vaccine person, I just don't wanna be the first to do it. A lot of my friends are skeptical but Black folks are like that about vaccines because *gestures broadly at Tuskegee experiments, Henrietta Lacks, entire history of the United States, etc*

Thank you for that perspective. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna camp outside of the Pfizer factory like people usually do for Black Friday sales. Get that primo vaccine right off the line while it's still hot.

e: makes me wonder what the security profile around these facilities and the transportation/storage is going to look like.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:52 AM, StrangeSox said:

I'm gonna camp outside of the Pfizer factory like people usually do for Black Friday sales. Get that primo vaccine right off the line while it's still hot.

e: makes me wonder what the security profile around these facilities and the transportation/storage is going to look like.

It's appropriately ridiculous given every other failure that we haven't heard a summary of how this is going to go beyond "health care workers and those at risk first". How do you determine who is at risk? Do I have to have a doctor's note to get into an early group if I actually belong there? Do family members come with the at-risk person or do they have to wait/see their own doctor to verify their risk factors? No clue. 

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It's appropriately ridiculous given every other failure that we haven't heard a summary of how this is going to go beyond "health care workers and those at risk first". How do you determine who is at risk? Do I have to have a doctor's note to get into an early group if I actually belong there? Do family members come with the at-risk person or do they have to wait/see their own doctor to verify their risk factors? No clue. 

It's America so there will be a way, legally or illegally to buy your way to the front of the line same as you could buy your way out  of the draft.  

After wealth and privilege,  medical providers,  first responders,   food production and distribution,  child care providers including educators, and finally our military. Perhaps register through your employer.   

15 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Illinois was originally told it would receive 400k doses immediately. Now it’s 80k.

Trump did say if you want federal help you had to be nice to him.  Illinois wasn't nice.  

Until we know how many and which manufacturers are up and running it seems like speculation. 

Maybe a good idea to get people to take it is to create appearance that in scarcity it will go to rich/elite/connected first.

This thread went from people skeptical of going first to being jealous that others get to jump the line. 

• 9 months later...

We had the Moderna with the second jab on April 1st, so far no ill effects. As soon as the booster is available, we will take that too. Going on 76 and didn't want to take any chances as in the early days of Covid mostly old people were dying. We lost a very good friend to Covid in June of 2020 and that hit us very hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, Texsox said:

I believe the question is do you want to be 1st in line,  100,000 in line,  or 10,000,000 in line? I suspect everyone has their own comfort level.  I'll gladly step aside and allow you to jump ahead of me.  We'll  both be happy. 

So my mom was 1st in line, not literally, but she got her first Pfizer dose at 8:30 am on the first day it was available in Indiana. Of course by that time, she'd been in dozens of rooms where COVID patients were take off ventilators because they needed to be moved to patients who had a chance at survival.

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

I've had issues w/blood clots so I'm steering clear plus I dont trust the Gov, or big pharmaceutical 

But If you want to get it thats fine with me! 

Got some bad news about one of the main symptoms of COVID

e: more directly, the incidence rate of blood clots from the vaccines is much, much lower than with just getting COVID.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/27/covid-not-vaccinations-presents-biggest-blood-clot-risk-study.html

However, these risks were significantly lower than the risks posed by Covid-19 infection.

Researchers estimated that 107 out of 10 million people would be hospitalized or die from low platelet counts within 28 days of receiving a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. By contrast, that number rose to 934 people per 10 million following a positive test for Covid-19.

Within 28 days of a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, 66 people per 10 million were hospitalized or died from blood clots in the veins, compared to 12,614 per 10 million who had tested positive for the virus.

Meanwhile, an estimated 143 people per 10 million were hospitalized or died of ischaemic stroke in the 28 days after a first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, compared to 1,699 who had tested positive for Covid-19.

The risks also remained elevated for a longer period after contracting the coronavirus than it did following vaccination, the study concluded.

The study analyzed routinely collected electronic health records to evaluate the risk of hospital admission for blood clots and low platelet counts within 28 days of infection or vaccination.

The data used in the study was collected across England between Dec. 1, 2020 and April 24, 2021. Patients who were still in hospital by the end date of the study were excluded from the study.

Edited by StrangeSox