Sox hire Cairo as bench coach

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Madrigal, giolito, kopech and the rest of our Anglo crew must be excited to have a manager that has English as his first language. He must be able to relate to them. 

I went back and edited my post. However, it was not meant to single out a certain group. You sound very bitter.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 1

Surprisingly good hire, solid.

17 year career as a role player. Played hard, played good defense, decent pop in the bat but if I recall was overmatched at the plate w the slider away...? Good base runner too. 

If you don’t like this hire it’s because you don’t like Larussa. If Hinch was our manager and he hired Cairo everybody would be mildly surprised but totally cool w the hire.  

Hate the Larussa hire but no reason to hate this. 

• Like 1

Miguel Cairo has a good background. Walt Jocketty obtained him a few times and transitioned him to a coaching role in Cincinnati. He then moved on to the Yankees, a solid organization.

Perhaps some Sox fans will feel better since he can also be seen as an "Ozzie Guy".

@OzzieGuillen great guy good baseball man and great friend hope help and i think he will

He might even call it a "Grand Slam".

https://www.facebook.com/daviidveliz17/videos/miguel-cairo-cincinnati-reds-vs-chicago-cubs-grand-slam/2688541378089702/

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

I've seen several people comment that he played for LaRussa.  I don't put a lot of stock into that being a factor in his hiring.  He played for quite a few managers in his career, including Cito Gaston, Dusty Baker, Larry Rothschild, Don Baylor, Joe Torre, Charlie Manuel, and Jim Riggleman (twice).

The pitching and bench coach hires have been encouraging.  If the Sox go out and have a productive off season and fill the necessary holes, LaRussa will be a minor concern moving forward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree. I just read where  Alex Cora picked his bench coach after he was re-hired. 

Pretty much every manager in the history of baseball has at least a strong say in selecting their bench coach, whether it be retaining or replacing the current one.  Complaining about this is ridiculous.  If it was the buddy system, he would have retained McEwing as bench coach.

10 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

What do you like about Cairo, in particular, Jimmy?

Was always well regarded as a player. Spanish speaking. Played for lots of teams. Very adept at analytics. Coming from Yankees structure is a benefit. Well regarded infield instructor. Cairo wasn't on my radar but I'm glad they went outside the organization for bench coach and pitching coach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Was always well regarded as a player. Spanish speaking. Played for lots of teams. Very adept at analytics. Coming from Yankees structure is a benefit. Well regarded infield instructor. Cairo wasn't on my radar but I'm glad they went outside the organization for bench coach and pitching coach. 

Thanks. Somebody mentioned that we were interested in him before the TLR hire. Do you think this was a Hahn pick or a La Russa pick?