Sox claim Emilio Vargas

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Ok, so this guy can be put on a minor league roster?   What type of acquisition requires a player to stay in the majors for a whole season?

It's just a waiver claim. He is on the 40 man roster, but not the active roster. 

You are thinking of the Rule 5.

43 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Ok, so this guy can be put on a minor league roster?   What type of acquisition requires a player to stay in the majors for a whole season?

Yes, but he only has 1 minor league option remaining. So The Sox will need to figure out over the course of 2021 if he has a future in the big league or not.

20 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

It's been five years of shopping in other people's dumpsters.  My god if the DIamondbacks don't want him why do we?  

Sometimes you can find valuable things that get thrown away. James McCann , Max Muncy ,plenty of guys, and there will be a lot more on Dec 2nd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sometimes you can find valuable things that get thrown away. James McCann , Max Muncy ,plenty of guys, and there will be a lot more on Dec 2nd.

Yeah I know...you should always be looking at upgrading your 40 man roster...always.   But the time for other teams failed prospects has been the last five years.  It is now time to add a REAL piece.  Did you know Lance Lynn's first manager was TLR?  He won a game in the WS at 24 under TLR.  Dunning, Thompson and Adolfo for LL sign Springer.  Set for Spring

5 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I like this move. Very Jose Quintana vibes and seems like a solid under-the-radar move for a nice role player. I doubt he sticks as a starter, but moving to the pen and possibly adding a few mph to that fastball is intriguing. Also, I've seen reports he throws a split-change, which might be why BA now claims his change is his better off speed now (which conflicts with earlier reports from 2018).

No one in baseball seems to know how many starters are needed and the Sox always run low by August. Hoping for sure that Q is invited back after a quirky year. No more kitchen accidents. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's just a waiver claim. He is on the 40 man roster, but not the active roster. 

You are thinking of the Rule 5.

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yes, but he only has 1 minor league option remaining. So The Sox will need to figure out over the course of 2021 if he has a future in the big league or not.

Cool, thanks guys. 

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Yeah I know...you should always be looking at upgrading your 40 man roster...always.   But the time for other teams failed prospects has been the last five years.  It is now time to add a REAL piece.  Did you know Lance Lynn's first manager was TLR?  He won a game in the WS at 24 under TLR.  Dunning, Thompson and Adolfo for LL sign Springer.  Set for Spring

And that's my philosophy upgrade but always keep the future in mind. But what did the Sox do in their pursuit of Machado while, mind you, rebuilding ? They signed, Alonso, Jay and Kelvin Herrera, wasted a bunch of money on stiffs with no future instead of what should have been a continuous search for guys with some upside. Yea we had our share of Palka's, Cordell, Tilson, Rondon but you would think every possible resource during a rebuild should be spent  combing other teams minor league systems and spending your money in the international draft instead of trading it away . Either they didn't know how to run a rebuild or they had temporary insanity  thinking Reinsdorf would pay top dollar for Machado or even worse that some half baked scheme to get him to play with friends and family was more important than Machado's bankbook. And remember it wasn't just Alonso and Jay . How do know they didn't sign his other team mates from the WBC team in order to lure him ? Welington Castillo, Alex Colome and Ivan Nova were all his team mates on the DR 2017 WBC team.

This is what I mean by this franchises' penchant for screwing up a good thing . Signing retreads made us just good enough during a rebuild  to get a 3 ,4 and 2 11's in the 1st round. The Astro's from 2012-2015 had 3 No. 1's a 2 and a 5 because Brady Aiken who was a 1-1 didn't sign because the Astro's tried to get cute with saving enough money on him to go over slot on some other rounds ,got them Alex Bregman with the 2nd pick and Kyle Tucker with the 5th pick. The Astro's were good at sucking. The White Sox sucked at sucking. If Renteria was so bad why the hell was our highest draft pick during a rebuild a No. 3 ?

But anyway I'm glad you think at least some prospects can be traded.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And that's my philosophy upgrade but always keep the future in mind. But what did the Sox do in their pursuit of Machado while, mind you, rebuilding ? They signed, Alonso, Jay and Kelvin Herrera, wasted a bunch of money on stiffs with no future instead of what should have been a continuous search for guys with some upside. Yea we had our share of Palka's, Cordell, Tilson, Rondon but you would think every possible resource during a rebuild should be spent  combing other teams minor league systems and spending your money in the international draft instead of trading it away . Either they didn't know how to run a rebuild or they had temporary insanity  thinking Reinsdorf would pay top dollar for Machado or even worse that some half baked scheme to get him to play with friends and family was more important than Machado's bankbook. And remember it wasn't just Alonso and Jay . How do know they didn't sign his other team mates from the WBC team in order to lure him ? Welington Castillo, Alex Colome and Ivan Nova were all his team mates on the DR 2017 WBC team.

This is what I mean by this franchises' penchant for screwing up a good thing . Signing retreads made us just good enough during a rebuild  to get a 3 ,4 and 2 11's in the 1st round. The Astro's from 2012-2015 had 3 No. 1's a 2 and a 5 because Brady Aiken who was a 1-1 didn't sign because the Astro's tried to get cute with saving enough money on him to go over slot on some other rounds ,got them Alex Bregman with the 2nd pick and Kyle Tucker with the 5th pick. The Astro's were good at sucking. The White Sox sucked at sucking. If Renteria was so bad why the hell was our highest draft pick during a rebuild a No. 3 ?

I think when you get into the $300 million contracts there are other things that are factoring in the signing.  No one really knows what was happening in those meetings but if you are trying to read the tea leaves...they absolutely signed Alsono and Jay to lure Machado...it is illogical to think they did it for any other reason.   We were the Windy city competing with San Diego???  He's from Floida...his wife and him are kids...the beach looks good.  It didn't work out...it was worth a shot and I think the White Sox tried their best.  I'm not sure you can condemn then for trying and failing...you condemn them for not trying at all.  As for sucking at sucking...how can you look at the roster right now and believe that?   I'm also fine with trading youth...especially if the trade is something like Cease for Darvish as Cease will be as good as Darvish in two years but we are ready to compete so don't wait...and in two years Kelly will be as good as Cease is today...keep the conveyor belt going but move it two years up.   That said...not Eloy...not Madrigal...no key positional parts.   And spending money is way better than trading assets...for now.   

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Didn't matter, because the Sox haven't done much with the draft during that period. The Cubs picked directly behind the Sox in 2015 and 2016, when the Sox were "trying" but sucking anyway. The Sox picked Rodon and Fulmer, the Cubs following took Schwarber and Happ.

The changes in the scouting / drafting area have improved the last three years (Madrigal, Vaughn and Crochet), not sure the White Sox would have done better finishing any worse than they did, Not sure if they will regress once again with the scouting cuts Jerry implemented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I think when you get into the $300 million contracts there are other things that are factoring in the signing.  No one really knows what was happening in those meetings but if you are trying to read the tea leaves...they absolutely signed Alsono and Jay to lure Machado...it is illogical to think they did it for any other reason.   We were the Windy city competing with San Diego???  He's from Floida...his wife and him are kids...the beach looks good.  It didn't work out...it was worth a shot and I think the White Sox tried their best.  I'm not sure you can condemn then for trying and failing...you condemn them for not trying at all.  As for sucking at sucking...how can you look at the roster right now and believe that?   I'm also fine with trading youth...especially if the trade is something like Cease for Darvish as Cease will be as good as Darvish in two years but we are ready to compete so don't wait...and in two years Kelly will be as good as Cease is today...keep the conveyor belt going but move it two years up.   That said...not Eloy...not Madrigal...no key positional parts.   And spending money is way better than trading assets...for now.   

You are a very forgiving person lol. I actually can condemn them for trying even if it actually worked out in our favor not signing Machado. When you never sign free agents to lucrative, long term contracts you most likely aren't going to be very good at it . Remember the biggest contract in Sox history was Abreu's $68M contract at that time. The Sox thought they were smarter than all the other teams that had been signing players to long term deals over the years that the Sox never did.

I already gave my reasons for them sucking at sucking and only time will tell if any of the draft picks picked during the rebuild will be as good as many think they will be. It's not a given Madrigal, Vaughn and Crochet  are elite just as it's not a given the Sox will make the playoffs every year. I take nothing for granted. The teams that make playoffs year after year take advantage of every opportunity to acquire youth and already we have no idea how much actual talent is left on the farm or when it will get a chance to play.

Not confident that Kelley will be as good as Cease in 2 years . He will only be 21 so that's a pretty big jump from HS to a rookie in MLB especially if Covid persists in robbing prospects of games. It's odd I keep bringing Covid up and you keep acting like it doesn't exist. There's also that whole CBA thing to tackle which will be a dogfight between owners and players.

6 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

is it really that likely that Rodon is non tendered? idk about that.  I could be wrong but what would he be owed if they kept him?

Maybe it's 70/30 he gets non tendered since he did finish the season healthy. The problem is he never stays healthy for long and dumping his salary seems pretty important . At this point in time he's not worth what he would get. That's a pretty good sign someone will get non-tendered especially with teams claiming heavy financial losses due to Covid. Rodon is due to make around $4.5M and Mazara about $1M more than that so between the 2 that's $10M .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe it's 70/30 he gets non tendered since he did finish the season healthy. The problem is he never stays healthy for long and dumping his salary seems pretty important . At this point in time he's not worth what he would get. That's a pretty good sign someone will get non-tendered especially with teams claiming heavy financial losses due to Covid. Rodon is due to make around $4.5M and Mazara about $1M more than that so between the 2 that's $10M .

Ashley has spoken out that Carlos does not intend to be a reliever post TJ. 

25 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Who would you rather have, Rodon or Vargus?

This isn't the full story here. Rodon is a $6 to 8 million pitcher for the White Sox who is two full seasons away from free agency.  Vargus is a minor leaguer with an option for 21.  One is for next year, the other is not really.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This isn't the full story here. [;]Rodon is a $6 to 8 million pitcher for the White Sox who is two full seasons away from free agency[/b].  Vargus is a minor leaguer with an option for 21.  One is for next year, the other is not really.

Rodon is a free agent after 2021.

Edited by manbearpuig