Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Heads22

Garrett Crochet

Recommended Posts

Two questions.

 

1. How do you think the Sox will handle him in 2021?

2. How would you prefer the Sox handle him in 2021?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Major league reliever

2. Minor league starter

reversed, but yes... MLB RP for the stretch run, maybe an opener also, depending on his arm holds up

he's their prized antique glass showpiece or whatever, they will be very careful

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say, I didn't hate anything I saw out of him in the majors.  You don't know he's a draft pick this year, and I don't think you would have guessed it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that he only threw 20-30 innings last year, I think they should use him in the MLB bullpen in a multi-inning weapon role for 70-100 innings. 

His stuff and command is good enough to go on the Chris Sale plan of all development at the MLB level. He could be slotted into the MLB rotation in 2022 should a CBA get done. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’ll be starting in AA and that’s what he should be doing. He needs innings. He’ll likely be up in September and playoffs out of bullpen though. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stretch him out in Minors, AA ball is where the up and coming stars are. I agree, a Chris Sale path may be the right way to go. We need a quality # starter until he's ready. Hopefully Kopech will get his head out of his ass and Cease improves.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a reliever is worse for his arm. Unless they have a schedule for him to pitch like he's a starter, I believe it would detrimental to him to have him as a RP in the majors all year. I like the idea of making him a starter in the minors, even if they only let him pitch in 3 games a month or 1 time a week just to ease his innings. Then have him ready for a call up in September or even earlier depending on what the division race looks like. But when we call him up, we need to have a plan. We can't rush him into games... IMO. At least for 2021. Once he has a successful year without major injuries, the gloves come off quite a bit in 2022. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He’ll be starting in AA and that’s what he should be doing. He needs innings. He’ll likely be up in September and playoffs out of bullpen though. 

That workload sounds high. Will he be on like a 4-5 inning limit as a starter? I want him in the bullpen for playoffs for sure...but won't he be over 120 innings by then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

That workload sounds high. Will he be on like a 4-5 inning limit as a starter? I want him in the bullpen for playoffs for sure...but won't he be over 120 innings by then?

I'm sure they will build him up. And they can skip him more rest in the minors. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll be in the minority here but if this team is trying to win a World Series next year he should be in the bullpen.  Start stretching him out there but he’s one of your best weapons, he should should be on the major league team.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Coop gone I wonder if the White Sox would be “progressive” enough to use him as the fifth starter but keep him to 50-60 pitches. Team him up with Foster every 5th day out of the fifth spot...sounds like a winning formula to me. 
 

I do not expect that to happen though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Two questions.

 

1. How do you think the Sox will handle him in 2021?

2. How would you prefer the Sox handle him in 2021?

 

1.  Reliever with the big club

 

2.  April:  Short Reliever @ Charlotte

     May thru Mid June:  Short reliever w/ the Big Club

     Mid June thru Mid Aug:  Slowly Stretched out @ Charlotte

     Mid Aug - Oct:  Long Situational Reliever w/ the Big Club.  Brought in for an opportune matchup, faces the entire lineup once thru.  Crochet then remains in to face that good matchup(s) again and exits (10-12 batters).

 

FWIW barring a rule change I think the fashion I would use Garret down the stretch is how dominant lefties will be used from here on out,  going every 3rd or 4th day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

I’ll be in the minority here but if this team is trying to win a World Series next year he should be in the bullpen.  Start stretching him out there but he’s one of your best weapons, he should should be on the major league team.  

I disagree, but I think it will also depend on what the Sox add to their bullpen this off-season as well as how the pen is performing next year. If they are struggling and need Crochet, sure. But if we are talking the 2020 bullpen we had this year, stretch him out.

My off-season plan included resigning Colome and adding Kirby Yates. If you can do that, I think you afford the luxury of leaving Crochet in AA/AAA in 2021 to stretch out until he's needed in September to be a 2-inning guy for the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will "stretching put" Crochet's arm in the minors possibly make it less likely  that he will need TJ surgery (than if he pitched in the majors)  ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You use him in the pen this year.  Getting him acclimated to the majors.  Use him as a single inning or multiple inning weapon.  Next year if he does well and his arm holds up then you start to stretch him out.  The magic of this kid is coming in and throwing 100-102 mph out of the pen.  The starter version of this probably comes in and takes velocity off.  Does he have the same effect?  Will he need more pitches to get through a lineup a few times.  These guys are all ticking time bombs with their arms.  I say use him at the MLB level and get the best bang for the buck there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

You use him in the pen this year.  Getting him acclimated to the majors.  Use him as a single inning or multiple inning weapon.  Next year if he does well and his arm holds up then you start to stretch him out.  The magic of this kid is coming in and throwing 100-102 mph out of the pen.  The starter version of this probably comes in and takes velocity off.  Does he have the same effect?  Will he need more pitches to get through a lineup a few times.  These guys are all ticking time bombs with their arms.  I say use him at the MLB level and get the best bang for the buck there.  

I'm actually on this side. He can work on his third pitch in majors, and eventually move to starting. Brandon Finnegan did it, and sure, he's out of the league. But sox need maximal impact now from their roster. I don't know that we shouldn't at least plan on calling him up in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm actually on this side. He can work on his third pitch in majors, and eventually move to starting. Brandon Finnegan did it, and sure, he's out of the league. But sox need maximal impact now from their roster. I don't know that we shouldn't at least plan on calling him up in June.

The game has changed as well.  Bullpens impact the game more these days.  Most starters are not going deep into games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tray said:

Will "stretching put" Crochet's arm in the minors possibly make it less likely  that he will need TJ surgery (than if he pitched in the majors)  ?

 

 

It will probably increase the chance. The more often he throws at max velocity, the more likely he is to have a UCL reconstruction. If they stretch him out but he continues to throw 100 as often as he can, he will get to the surgery sooner. 

I know everyone disliked cooper but one thing he did for most of his career was to have pitcher back off velocity to create movement. This protected elbows. It wasn't until the last few years when he started buying into the "analytics" that we saw pitchers throwing with max velocity consistently that the UCLs started occurring more often. You debate the effectiveness of each approach but one thing we know is that if you throw at max velocity for a large portion of your pitches, it is likely you will tear the UCL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×