Outside The Spotlight: Marco Paddy Finds Talent Despite Restrictions

Y2Jimmy0

This was super detailed.

I'm excited about Guzman. His stats probably don't scream out at people but they were from when he was 16 and you just don't often see pitchers with nice K% in DSL. He mostly only went 4 innings, and it really was just a bad inning that warped his era to being somewhat pedestrian.

I was hoping he'll come back with bigger velo, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Marco Paddy met with the media last week and we weren't invited to participate but I decided to write about him anyway: https://www.futuresox.com/2020/11/23/outside-the-spotlight-marco-paddy-adds-to-white-sox-international-infrastructure-despite-challenges/

Thank you so much Jimmy ! I think your assessment that the Sox do well seizing opportunities like Abreu and Robert but don't do enough to use their full resources is spot on.

The one question I have is in regard to you mentioning that 20% of the top 100 prospects are international signings. What I would like to know is,of that 20% how many were given the top dollar values that the Sox do not do ? How many were signed in the range the Sox tend to spend ? What is your opinion on signing top dollar guys as opposed to accumulating lesser known talent and accumulation of them and trusting that Paddy can identify sleepers ? Is it possible to have a better balance of both types or are the Sox just too opposed philosophically as well as financially  to achieving that balance ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thank you so much Jimmy ! I think your assessment that the Sox do well seizing opportunities like Abreu and Robert but don't do enough to use their full resources is spot on.

The one question I have is in regard to you mentioning that 20% of the top 100 prospects are international signings. What I would like to know is,of that 20% how many were given the top dollar values that the Sox do not do ? How many were signed in the range the Sox tend to spend ? What is your opinion on signing top dollar guys as opposed to accumulating lesser known talent and accumulation of them and trusting that Paddy can identify sleepers ? Is it possible to have a better balance of both types or are the Sox just too opposed philosophically as well as financially  to achieving that balance ?

Great question. There are definitely guys that sign for under $1 million that turn into absolute studs. The Sox don't do that well enough. Here's the thing though, these trainers have lots of different players. Sometimes a team will sign a guy for $3 million and also get a discount on other players represented by the same trainer so they get more bites at the apple. Paddy could be better and identify better talent. The biggest issue though is that these guys reach agreement at 14 years old in most cases and the Sox generally wait. That's why they're able to capitalize when an Oscar Colas or Norge Vera comes available. They're often one of the only teams with $$ left. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Great question. There are definitely guys that sign for under $1 million that turn into absolute studs. The Sox don't do that well enough. Here's the thing though, these trainers have lots of different players. Sometimes a team will sign a guy for $3 million and also get a discount on other players represented by the same trainer so they get more bites at the apple. Paddy could be better and identify better talent. The biggest issue though is that these guys reach agreement at 14 years old in most cases and the Sox generally wait. That's why they're able to capitalize when an Oscar Colas or Norge Vera comes available. They're often one of the only teams with $$ left. 

Thank you. I have given a lot of thought to the questions I asked you and have even tried to do my own research on it but it a difficult thing to research. I have never seen a comprehensive report on the best current MLB players who were signed internationally and for how much they were signed .And I have often thought about the best way for the Sox to approach that market while being somewhat ignorant in my criticisms of that approach. I appreciate your efforts to enlighten us all.

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Even if they don't want to play in the dirty market of offering millions to 12 and 13 year olds, they should be at least playing in the volume game and signing quantities of guy who aren't in those top tiers.  There is zero reason they should have traded cap space this season.  They had 2 years to prepare for coming out of the penalty zone after signing Robert, and brought in a terrible class headlined by a guy with a utility infielder ceiling.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even if they don't want to play in the dirty market of offering millions to 12 and 13 year olds, they should be at least playing in the volume game and signing quantities of guy who aren't in those top tiers.  There is zero reason they should have traded cap space this season.  They had 2 years to prepare for coming out of the penalty zone after signing Robert, and brought in a terrible class headlined by a guy with a utility infielder ceiling.

That has been my criticisms I mentioned in past posts about not doing everything they should have been doing during a rebuild.

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Marco Paddy met with the media last week and we weren't invited to participate but I decided to write about him anyway: https://www.futuresox.com/2020/11/23/outside-the-spotlight-marco-paddy-adds-to-white-sox-international-infrastructure-despite-challenges/

In concert with this :

https://sports.yahoo.com/luis-robert-landed-white-soxs-025000183.html