Do we need to acquire a closer?

bmags

Sign/Acquire a Closer  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do Sox NEED to acquire a closer or just let Bummer take over?

• Bummer Time, no acquisitions
    • Bummer time with MR additions
    • Re-sign Colome
    • High profile closer addition
    • Budget closer (like Kela)

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

My opinion is you pack the bullpen with upside arms and let a closer emerge. Too much risk of injury and inconsistency to go into the season needing to rely on one guy. If the options was available, I would choose "Budget Closer x3."

I feel like those dudes want a shot though. Sox bullpen could be tough to crack into.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like those dudes want a shot though. Sox bullpen could be tough to crack into.

Some will, certainly, but I'd bet that the combination of a broader acceptance of the "modern bullpen" and the uncertainty of the COVID version of free agency will make a bunch of guys happy just to have a solid guarantee.

7 hours ago, KillahPriest said:

Re-sign Colome 1/8 with an option and Hand 2/18.

You absolutely do this if Colome can be had for that cheap. He may not overpower you, but he's got stones and a closers mentality.

With him being a primary cutter pitcher, does he remind anyone of a Mariano Rivera Ultra Light? Or Light? I am 100% okay with that kind of production. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

You absolutely do this if Colome can be had for that cheap. He may not overpower you, but he's got stones and a closers mentality.

With him being a primary cutter pitcher, does he remind anyone of a Mariano Rivera Ultra Light? Or Light? I am 100% okay with that kind of production. 

Colome has always been greatly underappreciated here.  He's never going to be a big K guy but if we have an IF defense we're fine with him.  The only complaint I have is that he takes so damn long to throw the ball, but other than that?  Show me all of these closers that have 1-2-3 9ths all of the time.  Usually there's some trouble.  Usually, every inning for just about any pitcher of any kind there's trouble, it's just that it becomes more of a fan focus if it's the 9th inning.  In baseball, just about everyone has a WHIP above 1.0.  Everybody is allowing more than 1 baserunner per inning.

I like that Colome does a pretty good job of making quality pitches.  He's trying to be enticing but not leave cookies in the middle of the plate.  Sometimes hitters lay off and the break isn't as sharp and he falls behind.  But he has a pair, and I want a closer with a pair.

I think he's a lot like David Robertson in that respect, not necessarily the best closer but he's got closer's stones.  OTOH I never thought Kimbrel had any stones even with the stuff he had.  I'd always rather have a guy out there who will put the ball in the strikezone.  And because he's a pitch-to-contact guy, Colome just needs the hitter to swing at one of his pitches and put it in play.  He doesn't have to have a minimum of 3 pitches to record an out.

I'd bring him back for sure but I think we're probably going to wait Springer out before we do anything.  After Springer signs, I would not at all be shocked to immediately see the Sox agree to terms with a RP, including potentially Colome.

11 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Whoa we posted 1 min apart both talking about Colome's stones.  Lol never mind.  I was tricked by my browser.  I actually just quoted you again.  

Edited by YourWhatHurts

I worry about Colome's shoulder. There was a fegan article way back when about how much he has to do to prep his shoulder for the season. I don't know if that should be taken as "this is what it takes to perform at my age in the top league in the world" or that he has a ticking time bomb of a shoulder (moreso than any pitcher I guess).

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I worry about Colome's shoulder. There was a fegan article way back when about how much he has to do to prep his shoulder for the season. I don't know if that should be taken as "this is what it takes to perform at my age in the top league in the world" or that he has a ticking time bomb of a shoulder (moreso than any pitcher I guess).

I don't think he gets more than a 1 year deal with a team option on it anyway.  IMO there's really no reason to worry about anyone on a deal like that.  Anyone can get hurt at any time.

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I don't think he gets more than a 1 year deal with a team option on it anyway.  IMO there's really no reason to worry about anyone on a deal like that.  Anyone can get hurt at any time.

But I'm not worried about optimal contracts, I am looking for getting a good year out of players because we are a playoff team.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

But I'm not worried about optimal contracts, I am looking for getting a good year out of players because we are a playoff team.

Sure but you're still talking about RPs though.  I think anyone we sign or trade for, in one season especially, could go bad.  Look at Edwin Diaz's first season on the Mets, etc.  

As a closer I'd take Colome over Brad Hand 10 times out of 10 though, as an example.

I think we can get Raisel Iglesias in a trade, Hader too, if we want to pay those prices.  Iglesias should be much cheaper, but a FA costs no prospects.