The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

23 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  To be honest, I bet they see better prospect than Glasnow in Kopech who may have the highest ceiling in baseball.  Not saying he will reach it, but the upside with Michael is almost unlimited with the changeup he was flashing pre TJS.

No chance. Glasnow dominated minor league baseball in a way kopech never did. Glasnow was a better prospect than kopech and and has a higher ceiling imo. Glas, imo, is one of the top 3 ceiling arms in baseball. 

7 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

1. Snell is better.

2.  Marquez may cost more.

3. Marquez may be vastly overvalued due to his splits.. All pitchers pitch better at home.  Obviously his would be more pronounced but is it REALLLLLY that much of a diffference?  See Chatwood, Ubaldo and countless others who have left Colorado and didn't get vastly better like we were told.

I like Marquez more over the next 4 years than Snell fwiw.

Steve Stone really ticks me off sometimes. Guy is smart and I enjoy his commentating, but on Twitter he is up there with the biggest douchebags in the social media game. 

Price is Luis Robert? GTFO stoney. 

Price ain't Robert, no one is dumb enough to suggest that. Snarky ass.

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Steve Stone really ticks me off sometimes. Guy is smart and I enjoy his commentating, but on Twitter he is up there with the biggest douchebags in the social media game. 

Who’s to say Tampa didn’t ask for Robert?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Who’s to say Tampa didn’t ask for Robert?

No fucking shot. Luis Robert has 7 years of control. The Rays would have to add multiple pieces. Steve Stone is just an asshole on twitter. I laughed at the idea and he asked me if I think they'd be looking for Yolmer and Mendick. No reason to be a condescending douche. I told him that deal would be tough to pull off since Yolmer is on the Orioles now. 

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No chance. Glasnow dominated minor league baseball in a way kopech never did. Glasnow was a better prospect than kopech and and has a higher ceiling imo. Glas, imo, is one of the top 3 ceiling arms in baseball. 

I wouldn't say a higher ceiling, but a better chance to reach his ceiling. Kopech has generational stuff. He's the epitome of high risk/high reward. 

You guys will hate this, but I would be much more in favor of Snell if Coop was still around. Coop knows his lefties, and Snell would be a perfect candidate. 

For people who know Snell better than me, is it a change or slider? I haven't seen his grip. The movement looks like both. It also looks like he has a bit of a cutter. I haven't watched much of him. His stuff has me very intrigued. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

Since we are talking about Kopech...

@ptatc, I understand throwing hard is a big factor potential TJS. Kopech was throwing up to 101 mph in his spring training return. Will he be a candidate for TJS once again if he keeps throwing this hard? Or is the risk somewhat diminished after a successful TJS? Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Since we are talking about Kopech...

@ptatc, I understand throwing hard is a big factor potential TJS. Kopech was throwing up to 101 mph in his spring training return. Will he be a candidate for TJS once again if he keeps throwing this hard? Or is the risk somewhat diminished after a successful TJS? Thanks. 

Obviously I'm not ptatc, but I think the fear with Kopech is he gets too much leverage on every pitch. Everything he throws is nasty, and it's too hard on the body and too hard to harness. That's also what makes Cease so intriguing. Cease is nasty without even trying. He just has no idea where it's going.

Edited by TaylorStSox

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Obviously I'm not ptatc, but I think the fear with Kopech is he gets too much leverage on every pitch. Everything he throws is nasty, and it's too hard on the body and too hard to harness. 

His stuff is just so filthy... all these trade proposals with him involved scare me. This dude is going to be an ace. I'm so excited to see him pitch again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

Some Seattle newspaper is quoting that the Mariners are interested in Snell but are balking at the asking price of Kyle Lewis.

So maybe Stoney knows something.

It’s also just late November.

This is why in theory sox are a fit if they paid the piper. Rays would want mlb-ready production and they have that in vaughn.

If sox did that, I'd understand and be pumped to have Snell. I do think it's possible to have a "toned-down" snell that prioritizes length of appearances more but is still very productive.

But my goal for sox offseason is to add to the overwhelming core they are creating. I'm ok swapping longer term potential for shorter term (see pitching with dunning/kopech/stiever type moves), but with Vaughn - there's no vaughn behind him coming up. 

Well, except for Yermin.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Yermin is completely undervalued in today's MLB. He is a total moneyball move. Hahn needs to be smarter than that and NOT trade Yermin while he is undervalued. 

GETS ME WONDERING HOW MUCH TRADE VALUE YERMIN MIGHT HAVE NOW IF HE GOT SOME OF THE ABS THE PARROT GOT LAST YEAR

12 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree here.  The Kopech I watched during his last 10 starts at Charlotte was insanely dominant (2.35 FIP | 5.86 K/BB) and looked like he was going to be a legit ace.  And in his brief stint with us he flashed what looked like to me a potentially plus changeup to go with his elite fastball & slider.  That’s not a dig against Glasnow, I just think Kopech operating at 100% has a higher ceiling than just about anyone.

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No fucking shot. Luis Robert has 7 years of control. The Rays would have to add multiple pieces. Steve Stone is just an asshole on twitter. I laughed at the idea and he asked me if I think they'd be looking for Yolmer and Mendick. No reason to be a condescending douche. I told him that deal would be tough to pull off since Yolmer is on the Orioles now. 

I actually really enjoy Stone’s analysis on our broadcasts, but he comes off as this completely insecure b**** on Twitter and acts like a total dick anytime anyone challenges him.  It’s really a bad look for him.

6 hours ago, hi8is said:

Some Seattle newspaper is quoting that the Mariners are interested in Snell but are balking at the asking price of Kyle Lewis.

So maybe Stoney knows something.

It’s also just late November.

Just to be clear, the opening asks for players are sometimes ridiculous.  It was reported one time that the opening ask for Sale from the Red Sox at the trade deadline prior to us moving him was something so ridiculous (can’t recall the specific players) that there was a zero chance of a trade happening.  Obviously we came back with more realistic demands that offseason, but throwing insane stuff out may happen as part of the process.  It doesn’t mean that’s the “real” price though and Stone should not be acting like it is.

12 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

MLBTR is saying that the Mariners were asked for 2 of 3 between Kyle Lewis, Jarred Kelenic, and Julio Rodriguez.  So if that's the ask from Seattle, than I can see them asking for Robert.