The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

There is no doubt that Stone has the correct information.  Why wouldn't Tampa ask for Robert?  I don't think you make that trade but that is certainly where they would start.   

Considering Stone has 0 filter on Twitter and doesn't remember Yolmer is no longer on the team, I'd express some doubt.

• Love 1

Of the pitchers rumored to be available in trade and the likely assets required to turn a deal, Snell is 3rd on my list behind Darvish and Marquez (neither of whom are 'officially available'). Of course my top target is Corbin Burnes of the Brewers but doubt Brewers are motivated. I just think if the Cubs are belt-tightening, Darvish would be a great get and, on a given day, is among the best in the game and under a reasonable contract. Snell is obviously talented but strikes me as a bit flakey and I agree with most here who would be reluctant to send Kopech or Vaughn...especially Vaughn. 

12 hours ago, fathom said:

Who’s to say Tampa didn’t ask for Robert?

I'm sure they did but that's just not realistic either.  And Steve is just a pompous asshole on twitter.  Yes, he's the organization's mouth piece a lot but he enjoys being a condescending jerk too.  I highly doubt the Sox are going to trade for Snell but if they're serious enough they'd be able to get a trade done with out including Luis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Yep, my wet dream of that went away the second the Wilpons lost control. the Mets are going to be a PROBLEM the next couple offseasons with this guy pulling the purse strings. 

Maybe.

Maybe he'll be Arte Moreno.

22 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

So Snell is staying put. 

I'd honestly be surprised if any of these guys are traded this off season.  I think teams see a really shitty FA pitching market so they're throwing these guys out there to see if they get an offer that blows them away and I doubt they get one.  I know the Rays operate different than other clubs but it's really hard to believe they remove Morton and Snell from a WS team.  

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'd honestly be surprised if any of these guys are traded this off season.  I think teams see a really shitty FA pitching market so they're throwing these guys out there to see if they get an offer that blows them away and I doubt they get one.  I know the Rays operate different than other clubs but it's really hard to believe they remove Morton and Snell from a WS team.  

Maybe but you can't ignore the economic uncertainty and that some teams (maybe Cubs) might need to reduce expenses. There is a real liklihood of low to no gate receipts in '21 and for most teams there aren't too many levers for owners to pull other than reduce payroll. 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree here.  The Kopech I watched during his last 10 starts at Charlotte was insanely dominant (2.35 FIP | 5.86 K/BB) and looked like he was going to be a legit ace.  And in his brief stint with us he flashed what looked like to me a potentially plus changeup to go with his elite fastball & slider.  That’s not a dig against Glasnow, I just think Kopech operating at 100% has a higher ceiling than just about anyone.

Glasnow minor league numbers are thing of legend.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's funny to see Cease being written off and then looking at Glasnow.

Yeah, but Glasnow's issue was always command in the big leagues. He also completely dominated the minors in a way Cease never did. He's also 6'8 and tall pitchers take longer to put everything together historically. In 595 MiLB innings, Glasnow had a 2.01 ERA, and 788 strike outs with a 1.07 WHIP. His struggles when he got to Pitt had some to do with Pitt trying to take away his cutter, and the other part was his inability to locate his off-speed stuff over the plate at all.

When he got to Tampa he simplified his approach quite a bit, started throwing the ball over the plate more consistently, and now he's the dominant manchild he was in the minors. 

The 6'8 thing and the complete dominance are what make him a bit different than Cease. His fastball struggles involved location and him taking something off the pitch to get it into the zone; Cease has similar command issues, but his fastball isn't as dominant as Glasnow's was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

I believe he headlined the package the Sox were considering for Eaton. Went with Giolito instead.

I don't believe the Pirates were willing to include Glasnow for Eaton but I could be mistaken. Giolito honestly might have the more productive career because Glasnows injury history isn't great and the cut on his fastball isn't great on the arm at that velocity level usually.

Jim Callis on the latest Pipeline podcast makes it seem like Rays won't be getting very top of the sports prospects from teams. He says it's financially motivated if they trade him. Mariners wouldn't trade Julio Rodriguez or Kelenic for him so I doubt Kopech or Vaughn would be in play either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, fathom said:

Who’s to say Tampa didn’t ask for Robert?

Exactly. Does anyone really think Tampa starts asking for a fair price right away ? I said a few days ago TB was just sniffing around to see if they could find a sucker and would end up not trading Snell this off season. I said it early so I have at least 3 months to be wrong . You increase your chances of winning a trade by asking for the moon. Maybe it's not the moon to the other team. It's a good way to start the poker game.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jim Callis on the latest Pipeline podcast makes it seem like Rays won't be getting very top of the sports prospects from teams. He says it's financially motivated if they trade him. Mariners wouldn't trade Julio Rodriguez or Kelenic for him so I doubt Kopech or Vaughn would be in play either. 

Balta told me it will cost Vaughn, Kopech, Cease and Madrigal, and then MAYBE the Rays will accept.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, turnin' two said:

MLBTR is saying that the Mariners were asked for 2 of 3 between Kyle Lewis, Jarred Kelenic, and Julio Rodriguez.  So if that's the ask from Seattle, than I can see them asking for Robert.  

Its funny that they don't think he's good enough to pitch through the fifth inning yet still think they can get a top shelf return for him. Maybe they don't actually want to trade him. Could just be trying to pacify his trade demands, and stroke his ego at the same time. Hey we tried, but we couldn't get the elite prospects required to match your value.

High strikeout rates for pitchers is becoming less and less meaningful in the era of three outcomes. Its almost just playing right into their hands. The entire idea of three outcomes is you accept high strikeout rates in order to maximize walk and home run rates. And there are plenty of pitchers with eye popping strikeout rates with walk and home run rates to match these days. Glasgow is just one example and hardly the worst offender. He's always had trouble limiting walks even when he was dominating minor leaguers. I mean you can strike out the side and still walk a couple batters and give up a three run bomb. Give me a Keuchel, Stroman or Colome types to beat the trend.

46 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Balta told me it will cost Vaughn, Kopech, Cease and Madrigal, and then MAYBE the Rays will accept.

And then the first rumor that started off this thread was Vaughn, Kopech, and Crochet - and I didn't even think of Crochet because I assumed that was almost like asking for Sale after 2010 and basically not even worth considering. 

• Haha 1