The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

8 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'd honestly be surprised if any of these guys are traded this off season.  I think teams see a really shitty FA pitching market so they're throwing these guys out there to see if they get an offer that blows them away and I doubt they get one.  I know the Rays operate different than other clubs but it's really hard to believe they remove Morton and Snell from a WS team.  

I assume by "these guys", you mean Blake Snell, Sonny Gray types? Because I feel pretty confident that Lance Lynn and Joe Musgrove will be moved

I'm really not a fan of dealing for Snell. TB is going to require a Chris Archer like deal where they want 2-3 top prospects that are major league ready. I don't think Snell is worth Vaughn and Kopech, which is what they would require. If it was someone along the lines of Chris Sale... established as a dominant pitcher and eating up innings (when we traded him), then I'd be willing. 

I'd much rather go into the season with an upgrade in RF (Springer, Pederson, Bradley JR), and signing 2 above average pitchers that we can easily throw in the bullpen when our young guys are ready. Quintana, Odorizzi. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't make a move for Snell. I wouldn't like our chances of winning a trade with Tampa. And if you do give up Kopech and Vaughn, and then Snell doesn't work out (he's only thrown more than 129 IP once)...you may of just ruined the rebuild with this trade.

Just open up the checkbook Jerry and sign Bauer. Then we have a more reliable #1 than Snell, and we get to keep Vaughn and Kopech.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

I wouldn't make a move for Snell. I wouldn't like our chances of winning a trade with Tampa. And if you do give up Kopech and Vaughn, and then Snell doesn't work out (he's only thrown more than 129 IP once)...you may of just ruined the rebuild with this trade.

Just open up the checkbook Jerry and sign Bauer. Then we have a more reliable #1 than Snell, and we get to keep Vaughn and Kopech.

Is the goal to win the trade or get better?

30 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Is the goal to win the trade or get better?

This is a great point. The point of a deal like this isn't to win the trade, it is to win the World Series.  Even if you trade someone who turns out to be the next someone,  isn't it worth it if you get a parade? Does anyone think as Theo was hanging it up he was regretting losing Eloy as basking in winning it all?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a great point. The point of a deal like this isn't to win the trade, it is to win the World Series.  Even if you trade someone who turns out to be the next someone,  isn't it worth it if you get a parade? Does anyone think as Theo was hanging it up he was regretting losing Eloy as basking in winning it all?

The Cubs traded Eloy the year after winning the World Series, so not sure how much basking Theo was really doing about that move

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Many people here think the Chapman trade Theo made was atrocious. I think it was worth it, but many here call it a loss for the Cubs. 

Also, the Eloy trade didn't result in them winning another WS. I don't understand what you're getting at. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Thanks 1

OK you guys are splitting hairs a bit more than I had in my mind when I worried about 'losing the trade'. If it was close and pushed you over the edge, of course it would be worthwhile. 

My bigger concern is that the Rays front office usually makes the right move - and if they're all of the sudden wanting to move Snell - I'm suspicious as to why. I know they like to recycle their assets, but I would be concerned that there might be more to this from their point of view.

9 hours ago, Sarava said:

OK you guys are splitting hairs a bit more than I had in my mind when I worried about 'losing the trade'. If it was close and pushed you over the edge, of course it would be worthwhile. 

My bigger concern is that the Rays front office usually makes the right move - and if they're all of the sudden wanting to move Snell - I'm suspicious as to why. I know they like to recycle their assets, but I would be concerned that there might be more to this from their point of view.

One thing for sure...Snell is not Sale.  Don't pay a Sale like price.

• Like 4

Man, Sox Twitter is full of arguments this week in response to that graphic from MLBtv suggesting Vaughn + Kopech + Stiever (yes, that's our #1 hitting prospect, #1 pitching prospect, PLUS another MLB-ready arm) for Snell...with the majority seeming to like it!  Makes me happy to spend my time here with you folks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Man, Sox Twitter is full of arguments this week in response to that graphic from MLBtv suggesting Vaughn + Kopech + Stiever (yes, that's our #1 hitting prospect, #1 pitching prospect, PLUS another MLB-ready arm) for Snell...with the majority seeming to like it!  Makes me happy to spend my time here with you folks.

This is how White Sox twitter goes:

Sign every FA

Trade for every star available

Who cares what we give up. Just get star players for big money.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Man, Sox Twitter is full of arguments this week in response to that graphic from MLBtv suggesting Vaughn + Kopech + Stiever (yes, that's our #1 hitting prospect, #1 pitching prospect, PLUS another MLB-ready arm) for Snell...with the majority seeming to like it!  Makes me happy to spend my time here with you folks.

I think the issue  may be Kopech. Tampa always seems to be looking to trade established players for a "young" return. I think the problem is how big of a question does Tampa think Kopech is. They must think Vaughn is a sure thing despite no AAA but my guess is they will want another sure thing and that would depend on where Kopech is physically and mentally. If they are confident w Kopech , that would seem to be a match. 

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think the issue  may be Kopech. Tampa always seems to be looking to trade established players for a "young" return. I think the problem is how big of a question does Tampa think Kopech is. They must think Vaughn is a sure thing despite no AAA but my guess is they will want another sure thing and that would depend on where Kopech is physically and mentally. If they are confident w Kopech , that would seem to be a match. 

I think the issue may be that it's f***ing crazy, with all due respect.  I'm not worried about how big of a question mark Tampa thinks Kopech is.  This would be a massive overpay.

• Like 2

Would you rather be the Indians/Twins or White Sox.

Personally I'd rather have a shot going into every season as opposed to once every 10 years. 

If the cubs don't make the Chapman and Quintana trades they are looking much better right now that what they did.  They may not have the World Series but they have talent currently.

I may be the exception though of wanting sustained success over a title.  Once the title season is completed, it does nothing for me.

I take the Dodgers 2010-2019 over the cubs same run even though the cubs won the title.  I'd take the Indians and Twins 2000-2020 over the White Sox.  

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Personally I'd rather have a shot going into every season as opposed to once every 10 years. 

If the cubs don't make the Chapman and Quintana trades they are looking much better right now that what they did.  They may not have the World Series but they have talent currently.

I may be the exception though of wanting sustained success over a title.  Once the title season is completed, it does nothing for me.

I take the Dodgers 2010-2019 over the cubs same run even though the cubs won the title.  I'd take the Indians and Twins 2000-2020 over the White Sox.  

100 percent in your camp. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

So you just want a bunch of participation trophies?

25 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Are they throwing in Wander?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

No way for me - flags fly forever.  I take no joy looking back on seasons where my team got close but lost.  I can summon pure joy from memories of the 2005 title run now and for the rest of my life.

Now if we're talking about approaches going forward, I totally agree that sustained success is the way to go, rather than cashing in all chips for a short window.  But that's because I think it's the best way to maximize the chance for a ring.

• Like 2