The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Blake Snell is not Chris Sale. He's very good and has the Cy Young that Sale doesn't, but he's nowhere near as consistently great each season as Sale was. Therefore, he should not cost as much as Sale. 

Sale would've won the Cy Young in 2018 if he didn't get hurt. 

Yeah the closest equivalency to a Sale trade the Sox can do is: Vaughn , Kopech, Adolfo and wildcard. Snell would likely cost one or the other (Vaughn and Kopech). Especially when you favors in TB’s financial motivation.

Edited by Orlando

Just now, Orlando said:

Yeah but the closest equivalency to a Sale trade the Sox can do is: Vaughn , Kopech, Adolfo and wildcard. Snell would likely cost one or the other (Vaughn and Kopech). Especially when you favors in TB’s financial motivation.

And as much as everyone loves Vaughn, he's no where near the type of prospect or has the type of value Yoan had at the time.  

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah. Snell is one of the few pitchers I'm ok trading Kopech for. 

Kopech would have to be the top guy going back imo and the Sox have to hold on to Crochet and Vaughn here. 

I don't think many here are considering how much of a potential risk Kopech is after TJ. It's a toss up but in a package without another pitcher I think I would let Kopech go in a trade for Snell.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Trade Vaughn for Snell, sign Joc and Nelson Cruz....would be something I could see an “all in” team considering

Cruz falling to bits like every other DH the Sox have signed makes me want to steer clear.  Sub for any of the bat/no glove non-tenders and I'm on board.

There were only four trades in baseball history:

Semien, Bassett, Josh Phegley, Rangel Ravelo for Jeff Samardzija

Gleybar Torres, Mckinney, and Warren for Aroldis Chapman

Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease, filler for Jose Quintana

Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Luis Basabe, Victor Torres for Chris Sale

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This is just a fact.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh no, Soxtalk shall never forget He Who Shall not be Traded

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Do the Sox get Tatis back then 

oh boy, yeah. I will say that trade while oft-referenced isn't really used as a benchmark for anything other than anger. The only four trades that have happened in baseball history are all that we can use to judge each trade.

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Trade Vaughn for Snell, sign Joc and Nelson Cruz....would be something I could see an “all in” team considering

It’s an interesting idea to say the least.  And while none of these guys are Vaughn caliber prospects, we do have four potential long-term 1B/DH guys on the 40 man roster in Collins, Mercedes, Burger, & Sheets that could potentially backfill the spot once Cruz is gone.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s an interesting idea to say the least.  And while none of these guys are Vaughn caliber prospects, we do have four potential long-term 1B/DH guys on the 40 man roster in Collins, Mercedes, Burger, & Sheets that could potentially backfill the spot once Cruz is gone.

Eloy also

Acquiring Snell is just such a killer instinct move. Put your foot on the neck of the AL Central. This isn’t like getting samardizja or Shields etc. the Sox have never had a nucleus this strong. Samardzja and Shields were added to borderline .500 teams. This would be adding an ace to a playoff team. I would cry.

• Like 1

If it were up to me, I would prefer to have Vaughn as the centerpiece of a deal than one of our top level pitchers.  With as much offense as we have signed up for the long term, even if Vaughn does turn into Paul Konerko, it won't hurt nearly as much as if a Michael Kopech turns into Chris Sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2