The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'll go one step farther - if all the Sox did was get Bauer and just say we are going to go sit around and just grab a vet who sits in the market for RF (to platoon with Engel - not even a Joc type) - I would be 1000% exstatic.  It keeps the Sox so well positioned to either make future trades at the deadline and/or bring up more waves later this year, next year, etc.  

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fully agree.

Thirded. The Sox lineup is deep enough to deal with a RF platoon. If they're going to let Vaughn season in the minors for most of the season, which Jimmy suggests is the case, they need a DH as well and I think Schwarber would be a good fit there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Anyone have any rumors on what teams are strongly interested in bauer? I.e. talking to him etc?

I've been wondering the same. Haven't seen much on him except for really the Angels and Padres, teams you think wouldn't be due to committed salaries already.

If the Mets are actually interested, with the money opened up this season from Robinson Cano's suspension, they should be able to sign him if they really want him you would think.

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I've been wondering the same. Haven't seen much on him except for really the Angels and Padres, teams you think wouldn't be due to committed salaries already.

If the Mets are actually interested, with the money opened up this season from Robinson Cano's suspension, they should be able to sign him if they really want him you would think.

They already have DeGrom and Syndergaard is returning from injury this year. They don't really need a TOR guy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They already have DeGrom and Syndergaard is returning from injury this year. They don't really need a TOR guy. 

Agreed. Realmuto and Springer should be their focuses. I am totally fine with Springer and & Realmuto or McCann going to Mets and Sox fighting over Bauer with Angels and a partially cash strapped Padres. With all the japanese/Korean/Non Tendered options that opened up this week, a RF platoon will easily be had for a cheap price. 

Just now, manbearpuig said:

That all said, I don't see how the Sox are not all over Bauer. This would be the off-season to try to get a guy on their terms (example: staring contest with Machado a couple years ago).

Machado is an example of "sometimes the best moves you make, are the ones you don't make" 

Moncada is a borderline GG 3B, and he's way better there than he was at 2B. We'd have never found out with Machado here. 

They were going after  the wrong guy that winter. They needed Harper instead. With the Phillies cutting payroll, now is the time to correct that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Machado is an example of "sometimes the best moves you make, are the ones you don't make" 

Moncada is a borderline GG 3B, and he's way better there than he was at 2B. We'd have never found out with Machado here. 

They were going after  the wrong guy that winter. They needed Harper instead. With the Phillies cutting payroll, now is the time to correct that. 

I was more referring to them trying to get a big free agent on their terms that they are comfortable with than the actual player himself.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Off the top of my head I can't remember, but was the Sox offer to Wheeler ever leaked? How many years and dollars would have to be added to that to get Bauer?

The Sox offer was supposedly 5/125. He ended up signing for 5/118 with Philly. The money was close, but $7m cash money is still $7m cash money. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Charles Comiskey of Eight Men Out is an urban legend.  If you read up on some of the more modern historical pieces on him, most of the things you think you know about him are myths and not true.

I was just referring to the cheap asshole in the movie

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Off the top of my head I can't remember, but was the Sox offer to Wheeler ever leaked? How many years and dollars would have to be added to that to get Bauer?

5/$120ish is what I remember, but I don't think there was ever official confirmation or anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If it were up to me, I would prefer to have Vaughn as the centerpiece of a deal than one of our top level pitchers.  With as much offense as we have signed up for the long term, even if Vaughn does turn into Paul Konerko, it won't hurt nearly as much as if a Michael Kopech turns into Chris Sale.

Kopech as the centerpiece of a deal has the potential to haunt us for 10 years.  He just might be better than Snell this year.  Vaughn might be very good but DH/1st. basemen are rather plentiful.   I've said it before...Snell is good...but not as good as Sale.  Free agents only cost money.  Need to make trades very carefully IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bowden has no idea who Andrew Vaughn is. Not only did he say the Rays wouldn't have any interest in Vaughn (uhhh??), but today on The Athletic he did a piece on "1 winter meeting move for all teams" where he not only mocked a trade of Vaughn for Lynn straight up (lol no), but he also mocked Snell to the Angels for OF Brandon Marsh and SP Reid Detmers. Those are 2 backend top 100 guys. There is no way the Rays aren't getting at least a top 50 prospect back in a trade and probably at least one more top 100 guy plus lottery tickets. That trade is barely better than a White Sox package of Crochet + Dunning for Snell, at least using mlb.com's rankings. 

Now if you jump over to Fangraph's rankings, they are much higher on Marsh (#30), but don't have Detmers ranked in their top 115 at all. Either way, Bowden clearly has no idea how good or how valuable Andrew Vaughn actually is, so while I think his optimism that the Sox might get Snell is interesting, that's where the value in his comments ends.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Okay, Jack, I'll bite.

What would it take to get Harper?

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox had signed Machado, Moncada would probably be a RF right now. But I do agree, if the Phillies want to give Harper away, the White Sox line up would be historically great.