The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Bowden has no idea who Andrew Vaughn is. Not only did he say the Rays wouldn't have any interest in Vaughn (uhhh??), but today on The Athletic he did a piece on "1 winter meeting move for all teams" where he not only mocked a trade of Vaughn for Lynn straight up (lol no), but he also mocked Snell to the Angels for OF Brandon Marsh and SP Reid Detmers. Those are 2 backend top 100 guys. There is no way the Rays aren't getting at least a top 50 prospect back in a trade and probably at least one more top 100 guy plus lottery tickets. That trade is barely better than a White Sox package of Crochet + Dunning for Snell, at least using mlb.com's rankings. 

Now if you jump over to Fangraph's rankings, they are much higher on Marsh (#30), but don't have Detmers ranked in their top 115 at all. Either way, Bowden clearly has no idea how good or how valuable Andrew Vaughn actually is, so while I think his optimism that the Sox might get Snell is interesting, that's where the value in his comments ends.

When Bowden was a GM, he was well known for his ridiculous prices for his mediocre players.

5 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Correct and it makes him more likely to spend money - especially with that all time great in his prime on his team. 

The real trick is to spend whatever money you have on the right guys.  Maximum utilization of the team's resources.  We all want the best players available but none of us know the "real" cap on what JR will spend.  Whenever the talk goes to all-in on any one player my reflex is to think...if this guy has a career-ending injury the years of preparation go out the window.  I have always favored spreading the risk over several areas of improvement rather than the single big acquisition.  Interestingly, your example of Trout is probably the only player around that I personally could see going all-in on.  Yes, I know that even Trout doesn't fit our team.

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Okay, Jack, I'll bite.

What would it take to get Harper?

Honestly? No idea. It completely depends on whether they're interested in moving him as a salary dump or not? 

If I had to guess, something like Vaughn+filler? Idk if any of those 1B guys they had worked out or not.